Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 3:00:41 PM EDT
I get these little bastards all over the back porch, I'd like a BB gun that I can tape a flashlight to the end of the barrel and do some killin. What guns are with a shit anymore? I'm not sure if airsoft is accurate enough at 20-30 feet to reliably hit a cockroach size object.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's some ghetto-ass huntin' right there, fo sho!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's some ghetto-ass huntin' right there, fo sho!
View Quote

Well, I was sitting on my porch, with a drink, and I see these fucking cockroaches scurrying across the other end of the deck. A BB gun, some beers, and some cockroaches would make a fun evening.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The old training office at work had a lot of mice. I used to hunt them with a SIG P228 with a Simunitions kit in it. A good hit would kill 'em dead.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The old training office at work had a lot of mice. I used to hunt them with a SIG P228 with a Simunitions kit in it. A good hit would kill 'em dead.
View Quote

Damage anything behind it? I have flimsy siding to protect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Sims would probably dent cheap siding, but a BB gun would be even worse.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh this could get good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
.22 with rat shot
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The good ole red rider keeps the dogs out of my yard.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The good ole red rider keeps the dogs out of my yard.
View Quote

I was thinking a one pump red rider would work, but all the reviews I've been reading say they quality is for shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot mine all the time at leas 300 rounds or so since I got it. I got mine for 20.00 at academy so it is worth a try.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Marksman used to (or may still do) make a 1911 shaped air pistol that would shoot darts, pellets, or BB's.  Should work perfectly for porch hunting, just be aware of ricocheting BB's!

eta:  Found it, its a Crosman Marksman repeater pistol.  

http://www.amazon.com/Marksman-BB-177-Air-Pistol/dp/B00069PQ5Y

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shoot mine all the time at leas 300 rounds or so since I got it. I got mine for 20.00 at academy so it is worth a try.
View Quote

How accurate is it at 30 feet? Consistent hits on a cockroach size target?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a CO2 adaptor that fits a 1911 frame......co2 cartridge is held in the magwell......rifled barrel single shot......and it uses the triggger and hammer of the 1911....yer welcome to try it out and see if you like it...........
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Red Ryders are still GTG.  The ones we bought a few years ago are  still working like day one.  And we have been through a few 5000 boxes of bb's.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#15]
An Airsoft long gun would splat a roach, and you don't have to be worried about ricochets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An Airsoft long gun would splat a roach, and you don't have to be worried about ricochets.
View Quote

My brother has a entire pile of cheapo airsoft, you can see them curving right out of the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]
The well-made Airsoft stuff shoots straight and hard. I was an evaluator for the largest Active Shooter training exercise ever conducted (at the time), run by Cherokee SO. The Airsoft AK's and AR's used were accurate and left dents in the solid wood doors of the classrooms at Freedom Middle School.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Red Ryders are still GTG.  The ones we bought a few years ago are  still working like day one.  And we have been through a few 5000 boxes of bb's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The red Ryder buck (the smaller one) will put all the bbs in about a quarter size across our deck.... 15-20' or so. Surprising how accurate it is!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The well-made Airsoft stuff shoots straight and hard. I was an evaluator for the largest Active Shooter training exercise ever conducted (at the time), run by Cherokee SO. The Airsoft AK's and AR's used were accurate and left dents in the solid wood doors of the classrooms at Freedom Middle School.
View Quote

How much are they compared to a $30 BB gun?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#20]
You can get the daisy bucks at walmart for20$, I just bought one last week. Fun to shoot, but my suggestion would be an aeg airsoft, may not be dead on accurate, but thats what full auto is for. I have used mine to take out wasp nests, bee hives, and even rid my 2nd story overhang of carpenter bees. It takes a few shots, but I get a special feeling knowing I just gave a bee an enema with an airsoft b.b.

May be a fun job for a paintball gun too!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
You'll ruin the meat!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Hah!  A good Airsoft long gun is a lot more than $30!

The upside is that you can get a flattop M4 Airsoft gun, deck it out similar to your real M4, and use it in force-on-force training.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Try a blow gun.  We used them for roach eradication in the barracks in Okinawa.  We rounded the dart points to keep them from sticking into the doors.  The barracks had little wood, but the Sergeant Major could perceive a unauthorized hole from across the base.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Ahhhhhhh..........we could do a whole thread called "Things We Did In Okinawa"!

When the typhoons would come in, we would tie the 4 corners of a bed sheet to our wrists and ankles, with the sheet behind us. Face into the wind and form an "X" with your body. The Marine that was carried the furthest by the wind got a beer from all the other contestants.

Sorry for the sidetrack......back to your regularly scheduled thread......
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hah!  A good Airsoft long gun is a lot more than $30!

The upside is that you can get a flattop M4 Airsoft gun, deck it out similar to your real M4, and use it in force-on-force training.
View Quote

For prawn simulations.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Marksman used to (or may still do) make a 1911 shaped air pistol that would shoot darts, pellets, or BB's.  Should work perfectly for porch hunting, just be aware of ricocheting BB's!

eta:  Found it, its a Crosman Marksman repeater pistol.  

http://www.amazon.com/Marksman-BB-177-Air-Pistol/dp/B00069PQ5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnzmnm3caj8

View Quote

I had one of these. Was a good gun (for the price), but I could see the BBs curve after leaving the barrel. Not very accurate. Still, for what it was, I liked it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 3 red ryders for my kids.  2 are the smaller bucks, and you have to use some Kentucky windage to hit what you're shooting at (hold a couple inches off to the side and up).  They don't shoot straight with the non adjustable sights.  The full size red ryder is pretty dead on though, once I adjusted the up/down on the rear sight.  I like the idea of using the FA airsoft though.  I hate those stupid bugs.

When I was a kid, I used to shoot bees with the rubber tipped dart guns we had at the time.  If you got good and close, usually that would do it.  If not, RUN!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#29]

For the win.  I bought one of these a couple of months ago and it is super accurate.   A fair quality airsoft will probably run over $100, some are way over that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For the win.  I bought one of these a couple of months ago and it is super accurate.   A fair quality airsoft will probably run over $100, some are way over that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm looking for $30 thats minute of cockroach at 30 feet.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#31]
The higher end airsoft stuff is pretty awesome.  My son's G&G M4 has been "borrowed" a few times while he is at school for undisturbed fun.

You could hose down cockroaches with it easily.   They don't come cheap, though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Long ago and far away, we would kill mice with wax bullets in a 38 case with a primer for power from a S&W 4" Mod 66. Just prime the case and press it into a 1/2" thick block of paraffin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Long ago and far away, we would kill mice with wax bullets in a 38 case with a primer for power from a S&W 4" Mod 66. Just prime the case and press it into a 1/2" thick block of paraffin.
View Quote

I have a 686 and looked into making some glue gun bullets. I wish there were bullets made specifically for that purpose though....

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have a 686 and looked into making some glue gun bullets. I wish there were bullets made specifically for that purpose though....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First place I found on a search for  "wax 38 special bullets"

When I was a kid, a gun store in the middle of town (one of the suburbs of San Diego) hosted a trick shooter guy.  He was an awesome shot, and one of the things he did was put a balloon in a steel ring, throw it into the air, then draw and fire a wax bullet through the balloon to pop it.  He shot several of them, I think even did a few at the same time (been a few years, so my brain may be a little fuzzy on that).  I guess since they can be shot off in the middle of a town, I would figure killing bugs would be just fine too.  Primers and wax bullets was all he used.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When I was a kid, a gun store in the middle of town (one of the suburbs of San Diego) hosted a trick shooter guy.  He was an awesome shot, and one of the things he did was put a balloon in a steel ring, throw it into the air, then draw and fire a wax bullet through the balloon to pop it.  He shot several of them, I think even did a few at the same time (been a few years, so my brain may be a little fuzzy on that).  I guess since they can be shot off in the middle of a town, I would figure killing bugs would be just fine too.  Primers and wax bullets was all he used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill be damned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ill be damned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill be damned.

LOL.  This is giving me a stupid idea.  Like firing these at the bugs in the backyard with a suppressor attached.  Wonder if it would dampen the sound any more.    I'm pretty tired right now, so it's probably a real stupid idea (at least for where I live).
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#37]
UGH I HATE COCKROACHES!!!
why did I read this thread

what about a flame thrower?
I have never seen those crunchy critters near my home and I would freak out if I did.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
UGH I HATE COCKROACHES!!!
why did I read this thread

what about a flame thrower?
I have never seen those crunchy critters near my home and I would freak out if I did.
View Quote

Just do a search on "Palmetto bugs".  Those are big, nasty bugs.  Hate them with a passion.  Live anywhere in the southern or coastal regions, and you'll see 'em.  The flame thrower would probably work real good though.  Once.  Then you would be explaining to the fire dept. why you set the whole neighborhood on fire and burnt it all to the ground!
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#39]
http://www.bugasalt.com/

This looks cool and you can safely use it in the house.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#40]
XPLODERZ

The salt gun reminded me of Xploderz, Santa brought these to my son for Christmas. Pretty cool little setup, you take a package of tiny little beads, pour them into a hopper and fill it with water. 3 hours and the beads swell up to like 1/2" balls of gel, the only way to get them out of the hopper, is through the barrel, But the hopper is removable. They sting, but a 6 foot shot dead in the center of the back was not enough to make my 10 year old son cry (I always let him shoot me, then I shoot him to show him how it feels in case he decides to use it on his sister)

Theres 2 things I like about them, SUPER CHEAP TO SHOOT. And no clean up, the balls explode on impact, then dry up into powder. We have hardwood floors and I cant recall ever seeing any dried up bits on the floor. And they are biodegradable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top