Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
I'm eating at Mellow Mushroom in Roswell tonight and glance over to notice a guy at the bar open carrying.  I admit, I think open carry is tactically stupid but, as a gun guy, I can appreciate peoples rights to do this (had my LC9 tucked up under my shirt).  Then, I noticed his sagging holster fashioned in a cross-draw at about 7 o'clock position, which would be nearly impossible to draw.  Yes, he was drinking.  I'm not familiar with the legalities around drinking and carrying because I personally ditch my firearms when I drink.  I think I heard it was legal as long as you limit yourself.  I hold gun owners to a very high standard and this guy really pissed me off because, as an open carrier, he is making a public statement about gun owners.  Discuss amongst yourselves.

Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster.  I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at the gym today and this lady was walking around with her service pistol on.  She had her badge on too.  Not sure much working out was going on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!

I could have blown hard and it would have fallen off. It looks more secure in the photo but it was flopping all over the place.  Very cheap looking universal holster.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I will admit I open carry. BUT I never drink and carry. I carry in a level 3 serpa and if I am just wearing a t shirt or its cold and I have a jacket I cover my weapon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize).  Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.

Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.

With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize).  Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.
Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.
With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster.  I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.

The guy making fun of the NY SWAT team refers to a 'magazine' as a 'clip?'
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.

I'm digging the new avatar.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo.  That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo.  That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:38:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'

What clip are you calling a magazine
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means the holster has a belt clip that is facing away from the body, as in it looks to be reversible. Think cheap Uncle Mikes holsters.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, he's not wrong. It IS a clip. A belt clip.

The 'universal' holster has a belt clip on both sides.

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

ETA: Beaten.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

If that's the case, I take it back.  Didn't zoom in to pic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.

Story? Edit: Nevermind; found it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I am transfixed by the polka dots.   I would not have noticed anything else.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am transfixed by the polka dots.   I would not have noticed anything else.

My wife's arm got in the way. I'm obviously not that good at taking covert pictures, but I'm working on my skillz.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He meant clip as in device that attaches things to other things.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.

Link Posted: 4/20/2013 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.  

HAHA

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*Snort*
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
AFAIK, it's not illegal to carry while intoxicated, just illegal to use a gun while intoxicated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can change avatars if she's too much of a distraction.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I refer to mags as clips all the time....Just to see if someone is going to correct me on the proper nomenclature of firearms and accessories. My favorite is when you refer to it as a gun and someone says "Thats a rifle" I just laugh at them and break down why it is a gun as well as a rifle.

Also, It was my understanding that if you were drinking, and you did use the gun, as long as it was in a proper fashion, you were ok. I mean, If I am out drinking, and someone tries to rob me at gunpoint. I am not gonna NOT defend myself just because I have had a few beers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean all this time I've been calling them paper clips and they're actually paper magazines?!?!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently

Quoted:
I refer to mags as clips all the time....Just to see if someone is going to correct me on the proper nomenclature of firearms and accessories. My favorite is when you refer to it as a gun and someone says "Thats a rifle" I just laugh at them and break down why it is a gun as well as a rifle.

I hate it when people refer to magazines as clips, unless they're talking about an M1 garand or SKS (a few others). I usually don't correct them unless I know them and don't want them to sound like an idiot.  Saying gun doesn't bother me unless they're referring to military or police weapons. It has just be ingrained in me that an M16/M4 is a rifle and it would be awkward to call it a gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can change avatars if she's too much of a distraction.

I'll learn to deal with it . . .

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean all this time I've been calling them paper clips and they're actually paper magazines?!?!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently

Quoted:

I hate it when people refer to magazines as clips, unless they're talking about an M1 garand or SKS (a few others). I usually don't correct them unless I know them and don't want them to sound like an idiot.  Saying gun doesn't bother me unless they're referring to military or police weapons. It has just be ingrained in me that an M16/M4 is a rifle and it would be awkward to call it a gun.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm the only one that liked the old avatar better?

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't remember what the old one was, but 762 could use something along the lines of his new one. Dear lord.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Open carry is for attention whores.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw a guy open carrying a revolver of some sort in a leather holster at Walmart today.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I saw a guy open carrying a revolver of some sort in a leather holster at Walmart today.

Did the manager ask him to take it out then he started screaming "DISENGAGE DISENGAGE!" ??
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't remember what the old one was, but 762 could use something along the lines of his new one. Dear lord.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wasn't me, I was carrying the Glock today, in a Kydex holster.

But I often do carry a revolver, in leather.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like the old one better.

Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Last open carry guy I saw was in Walmart on Windward Pkwy.  Heavyset guy in black t-shirt pacing back and forth down the aisle frantically looking for an employee since it was known they had just received ammo.  He drew attention to himself since he was walking back and forth quickly down the aisles looking like a crazy person.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:47:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Open carry is for attention whores.

I gotta agree with that..
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#40]
I posted this on glocktalk a few months ago, and got bashed as some kind of a hater, I just believe if you open carry you have a responsibility to act with some class.

My post-

"Seems like most of the open carry people I see are loud mouth punks.

My daughter and I were shopping a couple days ago, and we hear a loud mouth punk, and sure enough he has a nice shiny stainless revolver in a cheap junk, drop-down holster strapped to his thigh. My youngin says " people like that give all gun owners a bad name ''.
I told her it is bad for public relations, but great as a tactical advantage.
I told her I feel safer whenever I see one. She kinda gave me a look, like I had lost my mind. So I explained, if the SHTF, he will be the first one shot, and then someone else can take out the bad guy. ( she does not know I am always carrying )

Am I the only one who sees people that are obnoxious, and open carry, as a sacrificial lamb?"
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 6:07:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm a bonafide attention whore! I've got a big ol' lifted orange Jeep with a Hi-Lift on the hood to prove it. But even I don't open carry. OK, I've popped into a gas station here or there before on a hot day if I took my shirt off in the jeep, but as a general rule, I keep it concealed 99% of the time.

I believe those who say it's a tactical disadvantage. But mainly, I just think I'm scary-looking enough to the average citizen. If I went into Wally World open-carrying, I'd give it 4 minutes before there were three cop cars parked out front. "Don't invite the man into your life."
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the old one better.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

My preference would be for the pose in Avatar #1, with the attire in Avatar #2.....  

But since that just might get your account locked and then we would have NO Avatar, in true ARFcom fashion, I VOTE FOR BOTH!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#45]
It was months before I even noticed DJinGA's name.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It was months before I even noticed DJinGA's name.

Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avatar #1 http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

Avatar #2 http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/174335.JPG

My preference would be for the pose in Avatar #1, with the attire in Avatar #2.....  

But since that just might get your account locked and then we would have NO Avatar, in true ARFcom fashion, I VOTE FOR BOTH!!!!  

I have to have a nice avatar. That way when I say something really stupid, people are too busy looking at the girl.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Some people in this thread, might be closet liberals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#49]

To me, open carry=decoy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avatar #1 http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

Avatar #2 http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/174335.JPG

tbk1 shot me down. Going to check the rules and see if I can edit tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top