Page / 2
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:33:15 PM EST
I'm eating at Mellow Mushroom in Roswell tonight and glance over to notice a guy at the bar open carrying. I admit, I think open carry is tactically stupid but, as a gun guy, I can appreciate peoples rights to do this (had my LC9 tucked up under my shirt). Then, I noticed his sagging holster fashioned in a cross-draw at about 7 o'clock position, which would be nearly impossible to draw. Yes, he was drinking. I'm not familiar with the legalities around drinking and carrying because I personally ditch my firearms when I drink. I think I heard it was legal as long as you limit yourself. I hold gun owners to a very high standard and this guy really pissed me off because, as an open carrier, he is making a public statement about gun owners. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Qui Audet, Adipiscitur
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
NRAMilitary
  • Link To Post: Click
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:42:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2013 5:42:52 PM EST by M4A1Carbine]
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster. I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.
"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it"
-Voltaire
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:56:16 PM EST
I was at the gym today and this lady was walking around with her service pistol on. She had her badge on too. Not sure much working out was going on.
"The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations where once free men entrusted their rights and liberties to a wholly centralized government." -- Richard B. Russell
USMC 8541
Platinum
  • Team Member
  • May 2004
  • USA GA, USA
Platinum
  • Team Member
  • May 2004
  • USA GA, USA
Instructor
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:57:37 PM EST
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:59:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By cmshoot:
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!

I could have blown hard and it would have fallen off. It looks more secure in the photo but it was flopping all over the place. Very cheap looking universal holster.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/19/2013 6:17:20 PM EST
I will admit I open carry. BUT I never drink and carry. I carry in a level 3 serpa and if I am just wearing a t shirt or its cold and I have a jacket I cover my weapon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
That sufficient to untwist your panties, princess?
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/19/2013 6:38:03 PM EST
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize). Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.

Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.

With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.
Official Arfcom Nickname: Nosebleed
Basic
  • Aug 2010
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Aug 2010
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/19/2013 9:15:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By DJinGA:
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize). Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.

Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.

With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 3:57:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By M4A1Carbine:
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster. I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.

The guy making fun of the NY SWAT team refers to a 'magazine' as a 'clip?'
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:00:08 AM EST
Originally Posted By Westgram:

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.

I'm digging the new avatar.
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:18:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jacare:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo. That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:24:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Greglat1:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo. That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'
Basic
  • Feb 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Feb 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:38:45 AM EST

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'

What clip are you calling a magazine
Basic
  • Apr 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Apr 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Instructor
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:39:51 AM EST

I think he means the holster has a belt clip that is facing away from the body, as in it looks to be reversible. Think cheap Uncle Mikes holsters.
a real nowhere man
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:42:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 4:43:42 AM EST by TerryC]

Uh, he's not wrong. It IS a clip. A belt clip.

The 'universal' holster has a belt clip on both sides.

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

ETA: Beaten.
I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 4:52:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 5:14:46 AM EST by Jacare]
Originally Posted By TerryC:

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

If that's the case, I take it back. Didn't zoom in to pic.
Basic
  • Jun 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Jun 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:16:35 AM EST
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.
Tail Call Optimizer
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:34:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 8:37:29 AM EST by JofoShootin]
Originally Posted By Sleazy-E:
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.

Story? Edit: Nevermind; found it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
Not the lesser of two evils.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Mar 2003
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Mar 2003
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 10:34:10 AM EST
I am transfixed by the polka dots. I would not have noticed anything else.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • May 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 3:47:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By cthulhu:
I am transfixed by the polka dots. I would not have noticed anything else.

My wife's arm got in the way. I'm obviously not that good at taking covert pictures, but I'm working on my skillz.
Poppin' the top off my Hi-Cap Mags.
Gold
  • Team Member
  • Aug 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Gold
  • Team Member
  • Aug 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 6:20:50 PM EST

He meant clip as in device that attaches things to other things.
This thread sailed across the edge of the map where it's marked "Here Be Dragons", landed on the shore of a far, distant country, and planted the flag of a new, strange nation all its own... - R-S
Every day I'm hustlin'.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jan 2010
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jan 2010
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/20/2013 7:04:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By M82Assault:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.
"My dog is German. He barks at everybody. I think he's eyeballing France right now..." - demobud
When all else fails... vote from the rooftops.
Μολὼν λαβέ
LEROY
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jun 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jun 2009
  • USA GA, USA
NRA
Posted: 4/20/2013 10:51:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 10:51:31 PM EST by Gentleman4561]

Originally Posted By Mutki:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.

HAHA
President of KSU Students for Concealed Carry
https://www.facebook.com/ksuscc

My Youtube Channel: youtube.com/Gentleman4561
Shit Not Given
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jan 2006
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jan 2006
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 4:14:11 AM EST

*Snort*
{insert quoted praise here}
Basic
  • Aug 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Aug 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 7:47:41 AM EST
AFAIK, it's not illegal to carry while intoxicated, just illegal to use a gun while intoxicated.
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/21/2013 8:42:11 AM EST

I can change avatars if she's too much of a distraction.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2005
  • USA USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2005
  • USA USA
Military
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:27:27 AM EST
I refer to mags as clips all the time....Just to see if someone is going to correct me on the proper nomenclature of firearms and accessories. My favorite is when you refer to it as a gun and someone says "Thats a rifle" I just laugh at them and break down why it is a gun as well as a rifle.

Also, It was my understanding that if you were drinking, and you did use the gun, as long as it was in a proper fashion, you were ok. I mean, If I am out drinking, and someone tries to rob me at gunpoint. I am not gonna NOT defend myself just because I have had a few beers.
Qui Audet, Adipiscitur
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
NRAMilitary
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:48:15 AM EST

You mean all this time I've been calling them paper clips and they're actually paper magazines?!?!

Apparently

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
I refer to mags as clips all the time....Just to see if someone is going to correct me on the proper nomenclature of firearms and accessories. My favorite is when you refer to it as a gun and someone says "Thats a rifle" I just laugh at them and break down why it is a gun as well as a rifle.

I hate it when people refer to magazines as clips, unless they're talking about an M1 garand or SKS (a few others). I usually don't correct them unless I know them and don't want them to sound like an idiot. Saying gun doesn't bother me unless they're referring to military or police weapons. It has just be ingrained in me that an M16/M4 is a rifle and it would be awkward to call it a gun.
"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it"
-Voltaire
a real nowhere man
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 1:15:05 PM EST

I can change avatars if she's too much of a distraction.

I'll learn to deal with it . . .

Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:20:55 PM EST

You mean all this time I've been calling them paper clips and they're actually paper magazines?!?!

Apparently

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:

I hate it when people refer to magazines as clips, unless they're talking about an M1 garand or SKS (a few others). I usually don't correct them unless I know them and don't want them to sound like an idiot. Saying gun doesn't bother me unless they're referring to military or police weapons. It has just be ingrained in me that an M16/M4 is a rifle and it would be awkward to call it a gun.

We're all criminals now.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Dec 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Dec 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 4:21:39 PM EST
I'm the only one that liked the old avatar better?

Call sign: Danger
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Sep 2005
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Sep 2005
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 4:42:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By wtturn:

I don't remember what the old one was, but 762 could use something along the lines of his new one. Dear lord.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • May 2005
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • May 2005
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:42:31 PM EST
Open carry is for attention whores.
Basic
  • Feb 2001
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Feb 2001
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:44:28 PM EST
I saw a guy open carrying a revolver of some sort in a leather holster at Walmart today.
Qui Audet, Adipiscitur
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
NRAMilitary
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:46:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
I saw a guy open carrying a revolver of some sort in a leather holster at Walmart today.

Did the manager ask him to take it out then he started screaming "DISENGAGE DISENGAGE!" ??
-Voltaire
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jun 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jun 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 5:52:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By mattellis2:

I don't remember what the old one was, but 762 could use something along the lines of his new one. Dear lord.

I see it clearer in the rearview mirror than I ever did lookin' out over the hood
a real nowhere man
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Feb 2009
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 7:52:28 PM EST

Wasn't me, I was carrying the Glock today, in a Kydex holster.

But I often do carry a revolver, in leather.

Basic
  • Feb 2001
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Feb 2001
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 8:15:42 PM EST

I like the old one better.

Basic
  • Sep 2003
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Sep 2003
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/21/2013 8:15:54 PM EST
Last open carry guy I saw was in Walmart on Windward Pkwy. Heavyset guy in black t-shirt pacing back and forth down the aisle frantically looking for an employee since it was known they had just received ammo. He drew attention to himself since he was walking back and forth quickly down the aisles looking like a crazy person.
Basic
  • Feb 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Feb 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 2:47:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By BiggerStick47:
Open carry is for attention whores.

I gotta agree with that..
Basic
  • Apr 2010
  • USA AL, USA
Basic
  • Apr 2010
  • USA AL, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 4:40:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/22/2013 4:43:54 AM EST by 1-Wolverine]
I posted this on glocktalk a few months ago, and got bashed as some kind of a hater, I just believe if you open carry you have a responsibility to act with some class.

My post-

"Seems like most of the open carry people I see are loud mouth punks.

My daughter and I were shopping a couple days ago, and we hear a loud mouth punk, and sure enough he has a nice shiny stainless revolver in a cheap junk, drop-down holster strapped to his thigh. My youngin says " people like that give all gun owners a bad name ''.
I told her it is bad for public relations, but great as a tactical advantage.
I told her I feel safer whenever I see one. She kinda gave me a look, like I had lost my mind. So I explained, if the SHTF, he will be the first one shot, and then someone else can take out the bad guy. ( she does not know I am always carrying )

Am I the only one who sees people that are obnoxious, and open carry, as a sacrificial lamb?"
Tail Call Optimizer
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Nov 2012
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 5:07:12 AM EST
I'm a bonafide attention whore! I've got a big ol' lifted orange Jeep with a Hi-Lift on the hood to prove it. But even I don't open carry. OK, I've popped into a gas station here or there before on a hot day if I took my shirt off in the jeep, but as a general rule, I keep it concealed 99% of the time.

I believe those who say it's a tactical disadvantage. But mainly, I just think I'm scary-looking enough to the average citizen. If I went into Wally World open-carrying, I'd give it 4 minutes before there were three cop cars parked out front. "Don't invite the man into your life."
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/22/2013 7:16:36 AM EST

We're all criminals now.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Dec 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Dec 2008
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 8:01:08 AM EST

I like the old one better.

Call sign: Danger
Emu
What're you lookin' at?
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Aug 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Aug 2007
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 11:48:09 AM EST

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

My preference would be for the pose in Avatar #1, with the attire in Avatar #2.....

But since that just might get your account locked and then we would have NO Avatar, in true ARFcom fashion, I VOTE FOR BOTH!!!!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Strength is not determined by what you can do...
Strength is determined by what you can prevent from happening.
<Chump Change> Kitco Forums
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • May 2006
  • USA GA, USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • May 2006
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 2:52:48 PM EST
It was months before I even noticed DJinGA's name.
Politicians are like hogs:you can't kick them out of the trough until it's empty. Joe W. Rawls
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/22/2013 3:08:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By dryvalleyboy:
It was months before I even noticed DJinGA's name.

Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/22/2013 3:09:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Emu:

Avatar #1 http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

Avatar #2 http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/174335.JPG

My preference would be for the pose in Avatar #1, with the attire in Avatar #2.....

But since that just might get your account locked and then we would have NO Avatar, in true ARFcom fashion, I VOTE FOR BOTH!!!!

I have to have a nice avatar. That way when I say something really stupid, people are too busy looking at the girl.
Basic
  • Nov 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Basic
  • Nov 2011
  • USA GA, USA
Posted: 4/22/2013 3:32:36 PM EST
Some people in this thread, might be closet liberals.
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2005
  • USA USA
Bronze
  • Team Member
  • Jul 2005
  • USA USA
Military
Posted: 4/22/2013 3:58:29 PM EST

To me, open carry=decoy.
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
Lifetime Member
  • Life Member
  • Oct 2008
  • USA USA
NRA
Posted: 4/22/2013 6:06:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By Emu:

Avatar #1 http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/ARFCOM/arf.png

Avatar #2 http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/174335.JPG

tbk1 shot me down. Going to check the rules and see if I can edit tomorrow.
Arrow Left Previous
Page / 2