Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 4/19/2013 10:33:15 PM
I'm eating at Mellow Mushroom in Roswell tonight and glance over to notice a guy at the bar open carrying. I admit, I think open carry is tactically stupid but, as a gun guy, I can appreciate peoples rights to do this (had my LC9 tucked up under my shirt). Then, I noticed his sagging holster fashioned in a cross-draw at about 7 o'clock position, which would be nearly impossible to draw. Yes, he was drinking. I'm not familiar with the legalities around drinking and carrying because I personally ditch my firearms when I drink. I think I heard it was legal as long as you limit yourself. I hold gun owners to a very high standard and this guy really pissed me off because, as an open carrier, he is making a public statement about gun owners. Discuss amongst yourselves.

M4A1Carbine
Qui Audet, Adipiscitur
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 10:42:19 PM
[Last Edit: 4/19/2013 10:42:52 PM by M4A1Carbine]
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster. I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.
"I may disagree with what you say but I will defend, to the death, your right to say it"
-Voltaire
gtengineer02
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 10:56:16 PM
I was at the gym today and this lady was walking around with her service pistol on. She had her badge on too. Not sure much working out was going on.
"The shores of history are littered with the wrecks of civilizations where once free men entrusted their rights and liberties to a wholly centralized government." -- Richard B. Russell
cmshoot
USMC 8541
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 10:57:37 PM
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides
Greglat1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 10:59:30 PM
Originally Posted By cmshoot:
I would have had the nearly uncontrollable urge to snatch it away from him, just show how easy it is!

I could have blown hard and it would have fallen off. It looks more secure in the photo but it was flopping all over the place. Very cheap looking universal holster.
foreman2000
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:17:20 PM
I will admit I open carry. BUT I never drink and carry. I carry in a level 3 serpa and if I am just wearing a t shirt or its cold and I have a jacket I cover my weapon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
DJinGA
That sufficient to untwist your panties, princess?
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:38:03 PM
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize). Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.

Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.

With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.
Official Arfcom Nickname: Nosebleed
Westgram
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 2:15:33 AM

Originally Posted By DJinGA:
I *do not* open carry. But I *have* been running OWB for a while and enjoying the extra comfort - first with my XDS, and now with my M&P9 pro (fullsize). Since I work from home, my daily wear is jeans or shorts (weather) and a t-shirt.

Given the higher ride height (Raven concealment) and lack of being held close up against my body like my IWB (not to mention carrying @ 3:30 vs 4-5:00), it prints a great deal with a light t-shirt. I have been surprised at how *no one* notices. I can only assume either I do a reasonable job distracting from it with my arm/hand near the butt or sights, or they are just conditioned to seeing people w/cell phones on belt clips and assume its a bulky phone.

With the ability to carry a fullsize pistol in this manner, I just fail to see any advantage in open carry....unless you actually like the attention.

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.
Jacare
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:57:46 AM
Originally Posted By M4A1Carbine:
It looks like there's a clip on the side of the holster facing the camera, like it's a RH IWB holster. I wouldn't give him a hard time, he's probably just a member of that SWAT team from Herkimer, NY taking some well deserved R&R.

The guy making fun of the NY SWAT team refers to a 'magazine' as a 'clip?'
Jacare
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:00:08 AM
Originally Posted By Westgram:

Originally Posted By DJinGA:

There is a good chunk of text here, and I would like to read it, but I can't make it past your avatar for some reason. I just keep going back to look at it.

Strange.

I'm digging the new avatar.
Greglat1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:18:24 AM
Originally Posted By Jacare:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo. That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!
Jacare
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:24:59 AM
Originally Posted By Greglat1:

Pretty sure he is making fun of the guy with the EOTech mounted backwards in a photo. That same photo also turned into a grumpy cat thread.....classic!!

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'
WGTactical
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:38:45 AM

I know exactly what he is referring to, just ironic the same guy called a 'magazine' a 'clip.'

What clip are you calling a magazine
perry73779
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:39:51 AM

I think he means the holster has a belt clip that is facing away from the body, as in it looks to be reversible. Think cheap Uncle Mikes holsters.
TerryC
a real nowhere man
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:42:38 AM
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 9:43:42 AM by TerryC]

Uh, he's not wrong. It IS a clip. A belt clip.

The 'universal' holster has a belt clip on both sides.

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

ETA: Beaten.
I don't often bare my soul, it's ugly and tends to frighten people.
Jacare
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 9:52:08 AM
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 10:14:46 AM by Jacare]
Originally Posted By TerryC:

I was gonna zoom in the pic to show, but I got distracted by DJ's new avatar . . .

If that's the case, I take it back. Didn't zoom in to pic.
Sleazy-E
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 1:16:35 PM
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.
JofoShootin
Tail Call Optimizer
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 1:34:46 PM
[Last Edit: 4/20/2013 1:37:29 PM by JofoShootin]
Originally Posted By Sleazy-E:
Hey! That guy in the OP's pic is the Navy SEAL who valeted his car last night! He gets around.

Story? Edit: Nevermind; found it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
cthulhu
Not the lesser of two evils.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 3:34:10 PM
I am transfixed by the polka dots. I would not have noticed anything else.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
Greglat1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:47:08 PM
Originally Posted By cthulhu:
I am transfixed by the polka dots. I would not have noticed anything else.

My wife's arm got in the way. I'm obviously not that good at taking covert pictures, but I'm working on my skillz.
M82Assault
Poppin' the top off my Hi-Cap Mags.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2013 11:20:50 PM

He meant clip as in device that attaches things to other things.
This thread sailed across the edge of the map where it's marked "Here Be Dragons", landed on the shore of a far, distant country, and planted the flag of a new, strange nation all its own... - R-S
Mutki
Every day I'm hustlin'.
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 12:04:50 AM

Originally Posted By M82Assault:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.
"My dog is German. He barks at everybody. I think he's eyeballing France right now..." - demobud
When all else fails... vote from the rooftops.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Gentleman4561
LEROY
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:51:08 AM
[Last Edit: 4/21/2013 3:51:31 AM by Gentleman4561]

Originally Posted By Mutki:

Jacare has shown he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch. He'll get it eventually.

HAHA
President of KSU Students for Concealed Carry
https://www.facebook.com/ksuscc

My Youtube Channel: youtube.com/Gentleman4561
GeorgiaBII
Shit Not Given
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:14:11 AM
Originally Posted By Mutki:

*Snort*
{insert quoted praise here}
GAFinch
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 12:47:41 PM
AFAIK, it's not illegal to carry while intoxicated, just illegal to use a gun while intoxicated.
DJinGA
That sufficient to untwist your panties, princess?
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/21/2013 1:42:11 PM
Originally Posted By TerryC:

I can change avatars if she's too much of a distraction.
Official Arfcom Nickname: Nosebleed
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3