Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2012 4:26:58 AM EDT
Hey all,

So I'm looking to add a Colt or Head-Down to the collection.  I'm really leaning towards the Colt, but want some input.  

I'm looking at a LE6920 vs. probably a HDX-M4, maybe a HDX-TAC7.  If I get the LE6920 or HDX-M4 I'll add the quad rail.  I know both are quality products, and I'm not really thinking there's any benefit to the "which is better" in terms of performance discussion (but feel free to chime in if you disagree).

What I'm considering is I do not own a Colt (or a HD for that matter) and I think a Colt is a 'staple' of a AR collection due to it's history.  It's a little more expensive, about $200 or so, but I also understand their resale is better (though I have zero plans to sell it).  I like the idea of having the 'historic' name of Colt in the collection, but also appreciate Head Down is a local Georgia company who makes a good product.

What's your thoughts on this?  Obviously Colt isn't what it used to be, no company is anymore it seems and history changes.  But it's still the grandfather of AR's IMO.  Would you all agree, disagree?  Would you pick the Colt over the Head-Down, or vice versa?  Do you think the Colt is still a staple every AR collector should have if they're able?  Is the $200 more "worth it" for the Pony roll?

I'll probably SBR whichever I get if that matters.

Thanks everyone!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:57:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion the name on the side is not important.  I look for quality for the price. Daniel Defense and the like are hard to beat on quality but that comes with a price. You dont want to spend your money on junk, but at the same time you dont want to pay for a name.  I went to school with Dave from Head Down and wouldnt hesitate to spend my money at his place, some here dont like him but i think he's good people. I've never been a brand name junky so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to say Colt.

In before the shit storm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for a Sbr, I would just buy a lower or a factory Sbr.

I don't see the value in buying a colt, dd, etc and swapping the barrel etc

If you are looking for a 16" ar I would go with a dd if you like the configuration.  

If you are going to swap handguards gas blocks etc just build it up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Colt

What He said.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt and HDP are not even apples to apples.

Colts are Tier One product. HDP is a Tier 3 product.

Go with the Colt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#7]
colt

clown
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't buy a 6920 to SBR it. SBR'ing a stripped lower would be my choice. However of the two options the Colt is the better one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Go with the Colt.

Is there any evidence of that? I've only held a hdp rifle but I am not aware of anything that is measurable that makes it any lower quality than any other factory ar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go with the Colt.

Is there any evidence of that? I've only held a hdp rifle but I am not aware of anything that is measurable that makes it any lower quality than any other factory ar.

What kind of evidence would you like? The sum of the parts should be enough.

I can assure you, that to guys who send rounds down range that are measured in the quantity of thousands of rounds, that the quality is notable and measurable in a tier one rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the Colt.

I'm surprised they haven't started the hardcore bashing in this thread yet.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]
What rock have I been living under?  I've never even heard of Head Down rifles.  I'd go with the Colt on name recognition/resale value alone.  That is, if I wasn't going to save myself the 11% excise tax and just assemble my own.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What rock have I been living under?  I've never even heard of Head Down rifles.  I'd go with the Colt on name recognition/resale value alone.  That is, if I wasn't going to save myself the 11% excise tax and just assemble my own.

Glad I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Hessie or Blackthorn puts out a great rifle at a great price! Also Red Jacket is a good one to look into.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Serious shooter or collector get the Colt.  Recreational shooter get either.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advise.  Ended up going with the Colt and picked it up yesterday.        

Now I just need to find some more ammo so I can go have some fun-time.  I only have about 200 rounds, so I want to find more first.  I have a feeling it'll be January before it gets shot..  Oh well, at least i got it and for a fair price all things currently considered...  

Thanks again for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
From which store/site?

Quoted:

Thanks for all the advise.  Ended up going with the Colt and picked it up yesterday.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top