Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 5:07:43 AM EDT
So I caught most of this last night. Kinda blew my mind a little bit. I've been wearing glasses since I was 15 and always thought there was some competition in the marketplace. Well not really.

Luxottica( Italian Company), aside from prescription lens, owns virtualy everything Eyewear. They make Glasses for Dolce Gabbana, Prada, Chanel..etc...

Link To 60 minutes story
Some text from the story(Link)

Quote:Luxottica is the biggest eyewear company on earth. It shuns publicity, but CEO Andrea Guerra invited us in for a look. And it was eye-opening.
Quote:
Last year, Luxottica made some 65 million pairs of sunglasses and optical frames. They don't make prescription lenses
Quote:
The company raked in $8 billion last year. But their best seller wasn't a fancy fashion house label. It was a brand they outright own: Ray-Ban. - today those $29 pairs can cost 150 and more, and Ray-Ban is the top-selling sunglass brand in the world.
Quote:
...Which is all the more surprising since Luxottica not only bought Ray-Ban, they also bought LensCrafters, the largest eyewear retail chain in North America. So now they make 'em and they sell 'em. It's great for business, but is it great for the consumer?I asked LensCrafters' president Mark Weikel.

Lesley Stahl: How many non-Luxottica brands do you sell here?
Mark Weikel: We probably have a few brands that aren't Luxottica.
Lesley Stahl: So since Luxottica owns you, does the consumer get a break on glasses made by them in LensCrafters?
Mark Weikel: What the customer gets at LensCrafters is a variety of services and products, including this broad assortment of frames––
Lesley Stahl: Mark, you're not answering my question. I'm asking if you charge less for frames made by Luxottica since you're the same company.
Mark Weikel: I think every competitor, every retail optical brand, determines what their pricing is on whatever their brands are.

thats a no
Quote:
Consumers do not get a break. At LensCrafters, the average cost for a pair of frames and lenses is about $300. You may think –– well, there's choice in the mall for other glasses. But Luxottica doesn't only own the top eyewear chain in the country, it owns another large chain: Pearle Vision, and Oliver Peoples, and several boutique chains. And it runs Target Optical and Sears Optical. And we're not done, Luxottica also owns Sunglass Hut - the largest sunglass chain in the world.

Quote:
Consider what happened to Oakley, the world-famous maker of advanced sports eyewear.

Brett Arends: Oakley was a big competitor. And they had a fight with Luxottica. And Luxottica basically said, "We're dropping you from our stores." And Oakley––

Lesley Stahl: They refused to sell their glasses in their stores.

Brett Arends: Yeah, there was a dispute about pricing, and they dropped Oakley from the stores, and Oakley's stock price collapsed. How is Oakley going to reach the consumer if they can't get their sunglasses in Sunglass Hut?
Andrea Guerra: There were some issues between the two companies in the beginning of the 2000s. But both of them understood that it was better to go along.
Lesley Stahl: Better to let you buy them?
Andrea Guerra: I wouldn't say this. We merged with Oakley in 2007.
Lesley Stahl: You bought Oakley. They tried to compete and they lost and then you bought them.
Quote:
So now Luxottica owns the two top premium sunglass brands in the world, Ray-Ban and Oakley.

Quote:
Lesley Stahl: Who's your biggest competitor in the United States?
Andrea Guerra: You could say Walmart.

Also Costco and emerging on-line companies like Warby Parker. But other competitors told us Luxottica has them in a chokehold: if you make glasses, you want to be in their stores; and if you have stores, you want to sell Ray-Bans! So Luxottica can set the prices as high as it wants.

You'd think well, surely insurance companies covering vision would complain. But guess what? Luxottica also owns the nation's second largest vision-care plan: EyeMed, covering eye exams and glasses.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:13:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap.  Just wow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta love capitalism!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
My mom has been a Licensed Optician for decades. There is no secret that Luxottica has the monopoly on frames for eyeglasses. She said it was stupid for people to buy these "designer" brand glasses at ridiculously marked up prices when they all come from the same factory. Even she hardly gets a discount for glasses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Www.zennioptical.com

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Www.zennioptical.com

I was going to post that URL.
I have a pair from them and I am totally happy with them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My mom has been a Licensed Optician for decades. There is no secret that Luxottica has the monopoly on frames for eyeglasses. She said it was stupid for people to buy these "designer" brand glasses at ridiculously marked up prices when they all come from the same factory. Even she hardly gets a discount for glasses.

My wife manages an optical company and gets 50% discount on optical items. Luxottica has high prices because they sell nice high end glasses. If you want cheap- go to walmart and get them. But, I can tell you one thing- they wont be the same as what you get at a high end store. The people that come to my wive's store drop 500- 700 bucks for glasses and they won't go anywhere else to get them. From military to business professionals. With glasses you do get what you pay for

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Www.zennioptical.com

How does the optometrist feel about you getting an exam/prescription but not buying the glasses from them?  It seems like they'd be pissed since they're losing some profit on the frames.  Kind of like ordering tires from tirerack and taking to your local tire shop to get them mounted.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Brand to brand they are out selling Oakley.

I will never own another pair of Oakley's and i guess Luxottica Retail is another reason.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I do it all the time.  I get my eye exam and buy my contacts and backup eyeglasses online for 40-60% less than the stores "discount" prices.   Just have them write your prescription on a script card and you can email a scanned copy or fax it to any online store to buy them.   Glasses do require a little adjustment sometimes to fit better, but you can have that done at any store and just tip them $5 as they do it for free most places.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Www.zennioptical.com

How does the optometrist feel about you getting an exam/prescription but not buying the glasses from them?  It seems like they'd be pissed since they're losing some profit on the frames.  Kind of like ordering tires from tirerack and taking to your local tire shop to get them mounted.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I watched a portion of that last night. Pretty silly when the interviewer was trying to insinuate that because they have a choke hold on the market that they are deceitfully providing "variety" to the consumer. Also the interviewer was trying to play the morality card as far as their pricing goes and he simply responded that consumers will pay what they think something is worth. Pretty true.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
ZenniOptical FTMFW.

I have a few backup pairs and now that my kids are getting old enough two out of three need glasses.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gotta love capitalism!

I'd prefer a free market system over capitalism.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brand to brand they are out selling Oakley.
http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/images2//t_12972.jpg
I will never own another pair of Oakley's and i guess Luxottica Retail is another reason.

Since I don't fish- what am I going to do with those glasses

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh so much more than a pair of fishing glasses, they are like HD tv for your eyes. I have amber base green lens 580g I wear them for everything shooting,golf,daily wear or whatever.
They are expensive and I am sure there is no real reason for the price I guess you gotta pay to play.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't feel bad at all. They never ask to fit me a frame or anything. Plus after paying $100 for someone to provide an exam, I don't mind saving money on an expendable item. The optometrist even TOLD me to order online.  My actual glasses are Army provided anyway, contacts for most days now. I DO order custom one off lenses for my Jaggi Nova shooting frames from my optometrist. Get custom power added and everything. Those run $75 so he gets paid.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like deBeers and diamonds. Wow.

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer to support a Japanese company with my multiple pairs of Costa Del Mar glasses.

Did I mention how much I hate the French..????

I always though Oakley's looked silly and I have seen countless Camaro driving posers with mullets wearing them but it's a shame how they were bullied.

td
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I prefer to support a Japanese company with my multiple pairs of Costa Del Mar glasses.

Did I mention how much I hate the French..????

I always though Oakley's looked silly and I have seen countless Camaro driving posers with mullets wearing them but it's a shame how they were bullied.

td

Did they have the obligatory Camaro hair top? Mullet is a given.

Don't all Costafarians wear oaklys exclusively? or are they Magpul Costafarian special edition frames with Oakley lenses?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top