Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2012 8:26:55 AM EDT
I just stopped by there this morning, and I haven't heard anything from anyone about it, so I'll give you guys my impression.

First off, it's in the Pawn Pro building on Hwy 81, just north of the Porterdale city limits.  Shots Fired took part of the Pawn Pro space and renovated it into a firearms retailer with a range.  The Pawn Pro side of the space connects to the Shots Fired space, and you can walk between the two, but they operate as separate entities now, with Shots Fired handling all the new and used firearms business that the pawn shop used to have.

The place is newly renovated, well organized, and clean.  Staff were pleasant and polite.  I didn't need any help, and they weren't really helping anyone who needed information, so I can't speak to their knowledge and expertise.  I will say that their storefront has a BIG sign that says that only on-duty law enforcement may enter the store with loaded firearms.  I didn't engage anyone there in discussion of the matter.  I just assume that if something goes down, they'll be happy that I was carrying.  Other signage inside the store indicated that customers are not to handle the firearms in the store without an associate's assistance.  I handled a couple of rifles on a rack without any hassle, as did a couple of other customers.  I appreciated a little flexibility in the "rules" since no one appeared to be retardedly handling anything.

Their merchandise was plentiful and diverse.  They have just about every make, model, and caliber of all the major brands.  I was disappointed to see that they sell the full Hi Point pistol line, including one finished in OD.  They stock the entire Magpul line of products, it seems, as well as a number of black rifle parts and accessories.  A lot of Spike's stripped uppers, lowers, and parts.  They didn't have a TON of complete rifles, but enough to keep people in the area happy, I'd imagine.  A handful of defense shotguns, but nothing exciting.  They did have a Sig pistol that was dipped in Multicam.  I don't get out much, so that's the first I'd seen of that.

Prices.  Seemed high, but that's probably normal for a store this size and in this area.  A stripped Spike's lower was $199.99.  Glocks were in the $550 range, with used Glocks in the $450-500 range.  P-Mags were $18.  The complete AR's were too far away to see the prices from in front of the counter, but I didn't figure it was worth asking.  I asked about public safety pricing, which the associate said they don't do, but he did inform me that their range time has a public safety discount.

Which brings me to the real part of this review.  The range.  It's nice.  I don't know how busy it gets, because I went at 10 a.m., and no one was in there.  There are 5 lanes, and they're wide.  The backstop is shredded rubber.  The range is well lit, it's clean (it's also only a couple months old), and it's plenty long to shoot pistols or get a rough sight-in of a rifle.  Their prices are $12/hr for the first shooter, $8 for the second, and $5 for the third on the same lane.  Only three shooters per lane, which I think is reasonable.  Public safety discount knocks the first shooter down to $10/hr.  

The range has laminate wood floors in the shooting area.  Outside the shooting area is a lounge space with nice leather couches, a coffee table, a high-top bar-type table, and a flatscreen TV.  The tables have a mixture of gun magazines and Better Homes and Gardens magazines on them.  They also have flyers for firearm training, which they say is offered by current or former law enforcement officers.  That can be good or bad.  The lounge has a very large window through which patrons and staff can watch the shooters on the range.  I didn't really examine it, but I'd imagine it's bullet resistant.  I would hope so, anyways.  Still, it's neat.  

They rent pistols and a few AR's with different setups.  One had an EOTech, one had DD irons, and another had some other optic I didn't pay much attention to.  I didn't check on the rental prices.  They do require that you use their targets, which are $1.25 each.  They're all some variation of a silhouette or zombie target.  It looked like they might've had some cardboard IDPA type targets, but they could've just been the cardboard hangers.  Bring a marker, flip the targets over, and make dot targets.  I hate spending $1.25 each on what are mostly single-use targets.  

Here are some pictures from their Flickr page:

Link to picture
Linky link
Linkety link
Linky dinky doo

All in all, it looks pretty nice.  Ladies shoot free on Wednesday nights, so me and the wife might have to skip church one Weds. and hit the range.  I'll probably never buy anything from their retail shop, but if I needed something in a jiffy, they've got it.

EDIT: Fixed the price of the Spike's lower.  Really.  $200 for a stripped lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
There prices on Magpul accessories are really reasonable. Usually comes out to $1-2 bucks less than even the best online stores after you figure shipping into the cost. They have done two transfers for me on high dollar items without any problems. Haven't used the range yet, but I'm in school in Athens. My parents live 5 minutes away though.
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate Covington...  Lost my license at 19 while speeding through there...

How did isurvive youth?
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know if they still do it, but in July , they had/ have a lunch special.  I shot from 11:15 till 12 :45  with one target, patched it alot,  for $6.25 plus tax.   The lanes next to the right wall,  bounce brass some.
'
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
It is now 5.35 dollars tax and all during lunch...

I applied for the Ar smith opening they where real inpressed but they have not called me back. They also have not hired anybody either maybe they where not ready...

Very nice place with good core values of customer service if they keep it up they will go far. The owner also told me that he is looking to open a second location with
retail firearms and shooting range only. i hope he decides to open in McDonough or Locust Grove
Link Posted: 9/20/2012 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
They ran an ad on CL awhile back for counter help, well I guess it was them, said indoor range in Covington.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top