Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2012 2:56:59 PM EDT
"In June 2012, one of the local Task Force Officers assigned to our office was participating in firearms training at the range with that department’s issued pistol and ammunition.  The officer was using a .40 S&W caliber SIG P229 DAK, the same model HSI agents are issued.  The ammunition was department issued Federal Premium 180 Grain HST.  The holster utilized was a right-handed Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment paddle-style.  The officer was wearing a light weight wet weather jacket due to rainy conditions on that day.

After having fired several rounds during the course of fire, the officer was in the process of holstering when the pistol discharged through the open portion of the bottom of the holster.  The round entered the outside of the right upper calf and exited the outside of the lower calf and was stopped by the ground (grass/dirt surface).  The round did not strike any bone or the ankle or foot.  There was not excessive bleeding and it was later found that there was no serious nerve damage.  The officer is expected to make a full recovery.

Once first aid was rendered and EMT’s had arrived at the scene, an examination of the pistol in the holster revealed that the trigger was depressed to the rear of the trigger guard (see photograph below).  A plastic cylinder-shaped draw cord adjuster attached to the wet weather jacket the officer was wearing was lodged against the front of the trigger.  The plastic draw cord adjuster had become caught inside of the trigger guard during the holstering of the pistol.

It should be noted that this type of draw cord adjuster is the type commonly found on many jackets.  The one that became lodged was for the side/waist adjustment cord.

Just a reminder to trainers and shooters.  We train to keep our eyes up on threat when holstering.  When holstering with this type of clothing and using the support hand to clear the holster, ensure that the support hand doesn’t get covered by the muzzle.  Keep the support hand and clothing well above the top of the holster and bring the pistol in below them."

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
*In* for the "It was the SERPA holster's fault"

Good thing he was OK....that could have done some damage.....

Good thing to remember when holstering! At classes, I always find myself looking where the guns going when re-holstering
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
*In* for the "It was the SERPA holster's fault"

Good thing he was OK....that could have done some damage.....

Good thing to remember when holstering! At classes, I always find myself looking where the guns going when re-holstering

Yeah...it will be Serpas fault before its over with. Serpa hate held up an advanced pistol class for me for a few years at GPSTC because the lead instructor there had Serpa hate. The problem was we had to carry our duty rigs, and Serpa III is what we were/ are issued.

Also, don't get in the habit of watching your weapon into its holster. Eyes toward the threat, always.....everything else is muscle memory.

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I was gonna say the same thing... It's a serpa so has to be the holsters fault... never mind that the same thing could happen with a leather holster or any other.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That VERY thing is mentioned in the magpul dynamics videos.  They recommend cutting them off iirc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That VERY thing is mentioned in the magpul dynamics videos.  They recommend cutting them off iirc.

Yup - I was wondering where I heard that before.  Good advice OP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info. Most of my jackets have these.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I roll them to the inside of the jacket, and handstitch them in place. That way I still have the cord and lock in any sort of emergency that I could use it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They teach cutting them off at the Sig Academy too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had the issue of the draw cord getting wrapped around the hood of my serpa III or caught between the hood lever and the holster and I couldn't get the gun out of the holster

I told my supervisor that I was going to cut the cords off my jacket because it was an issue and I was told I would be written up for damaging dept property
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the issue of the draw cord getting wrapped around the hood of my serpa III or caught between the hood lever and the holster and I couldn't get the gun out of the holster

I told my supervisor that I was going to cut the cords off my jacket because it was an issue and I was told I would be written up for damaging dept property

Pull the plastic stopper off  the cord. The cord itself is fine , it's  little plastic thing that is  the problem.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]
We had a similar discharge with the top strap of a Bianchi holster on a felony stop. Went inside the trigger guard during reholstering and the ricochet took a couple toes out.

We now get issued ALS hood Safariland gimmicks...and the officer got a pair of Kevlar toed boots...

Glad the guy's okay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you have learned that next time you will just cut the cord off and play dumb if anyone ever asks what happened to it.

I think if part of your jacket is snagging on, catching on or interfering with your weapon presentation or holstering then that is a legitimate issue.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats crazy, but not unbelievable either. Stranger things have happened. I hope that guy is ok, that meat looks pretty tenderised on that last pic.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I always cut those off of clothing and use a quick-release knot in their place. The only place I keep the draw-cord adjusters on is my shoe laces.

Glad this didn't turn out worse!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top