Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2008 3:32:40 PM EDT
Howdy,

I'm interested in improving the trigger on a standard AR. I lucked out and got one that is pretty smooth and breaks clean, but it's just too heavy. It's probably got at least 2K rounds through it so it's fairly well broken in. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's trimmed and bent springs as described in the "15 minute trigger job". I'm also considering getting a set of the JP springs and would like to hear any feedback on those. Other suggestions welcomed, although I much prefer a single stage trigger.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/13/2008 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Howdy,

I'm interested in improving the trigger on a standard AR. I lucked out and got one that is pretty smooth and breaks clean, but it's just too heavy. It's probably got at least 2K rounds through it so it's fairly well broken in. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's trimmed and bent springs as described in the "15 minute trigger job". I'm also considering getting a set of the JP springs and would like to hear any feedback on those. Other suggestions welcomed, although I much prefer a single stage trigger.

Thanks

The "trigger job" is all cool and all, but the AR trigger was manufactured to operate on the force of the stock springs. Bending them too much can result in light primer strikes. If anything, I would just polish the friction surfaces with a high-speed buffer or dremel. I have tried this myself, and they do seem to break a little cleaner and smoother, but nothing to write home about.

In a nutshell, the stock trigger is very coarse and limited. That being said, I don't mind the stock feel. I trained for years in the Army on them, and never really gave it a second thought.

If you want a good trigger for a precision rig, just find a good aftermarket custom trigger. You'll be happier with the results in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
get hold of Bill Springfield. Around $40. Do a google.
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have done the 15 min trigger job.  The origional trigger pull weight was aroud 10 lbs and after the mod it is about 6.  I have had no problems with light primer strikes or anything else but that being said I have a set of extra springs just in case.  FWIW.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]

I have tinkered with the AR trigger pack a lot.

Having said that, my highpower ARs all have Holliger tuned RRA triggers in them and the AR I shoot in 3-gun has a stock trigger running about 8-9 pounds I would guess.

What is the use of the AR you are trying to tune?
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the JP trigger/hammer assembly.  Good, clean, break @ 3#.  (Was @ 2.5#, but I went back to the Bushy factory hammer spring.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]

I would just polish the friction surfaces with a high-speed buffer or dremel.

I would advise against this.  The AR trigger group parts are only surface hardened.  If you polish them, you risk polishing away the very thin, hardened layer and exposing the softer metal underneath.  This may ruin your trigger and cause doubling or hammer follow.  We learned this the hard way by trying to use stock parts to get really good trigger pulls on competition rifles.  

I would recommend you put out the money and get either a Chip McCormack or Timney drop in trigger packs.  I've been beating on a CMC trigger pack and it's held up very well and it has an outstanding trigger pull.

VSP
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The rifle is a mutt, a parts gun.

I want to stay with a single stage trigger and am not ready to spend the bucks for a full blown drop in just yet. I have some other projects that take priority.

I plan to get a bipod and start shooting it prone more often. It's mostly a range rifle for punching paper but I want it to be reliable. I have no use for one thats not.

Thanks for all the input.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm fat, dumb and happy with a Timney that I dropped in late last summer. The loose pin holes of the lower have no effect with its design!

Link Posted: 1/14/2008 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#9]
David McDonald at Adventure Outdoors does wonders. 770-333-9880 in Cobb County www.advout.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top