Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quick question what is the minimum age to carry a firearm (rifle and pistol) In your vehicle

Thanks

ETA:Pg 3 is MINE lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quick question what is the minimum age to carry a firearm (rifle and pistol) In your vehicle

Thanks

ETA:Pg 3 is MINE lol

The answer to your question is 18, but its a little cloudy

Section 16-11-126 A states  "Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry
on his or her person a weapon or long gun
on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor
vehicle
, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

However part D states "Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle"

Being "not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun" means you have to be 18.  (Note: there is no law prohibiting 18 yr olds from owning handguns, only from buying them from dealers)

Being "eligible for a weapons carry license" means you must be 21

Also note that if you are Military you are exempt from these sections as it is stated in section 16-11-130, even if you are 18.

I interpret the law as saying you must be 18, but section D contradicts section A.  I am not sure, I am not a lawyer.

Here is the law as it is written:

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a weapon
(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry
on his or her person a weapon or long gun
on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor
vehicle
, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry
on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is
loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry
any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for
a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle
;
provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease,
rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such
property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as
provided in Code Section 16-11-135.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
hello georgia, im visiting.

i have seen one restaurant in the downtown area (tacomac) that has a no CHL (i forget the sign, but it was official enough that i went somewhere else, it might have been an alcohol related sign).

ive been trying to find examples of what official no-CHL signs look like for your state, but to no avail.  can someone direct me to where i might find examples?  in texas, its called a "30.06 sign", and its for any(non-alcohol consumption related) business to post that wishes to ban concealed firearms. (we have other signs similar to the tacomac sign noted above for places that serve alcohol as 51% of more of their income).

in texas, you cant just simply right "no CHL" on the wall, it has to be a very specific sign with exact wordage and size.  looking to make sure if GA has same.

thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go. For more info, go to www.georgiacarry.org

Q: Can I carry at Applebee’s or [insert other restaurant here]?
A: SB308 does not prohibit carry for Georgia Weapons License holders in restaurants. However, individual restaurant owners have the option of asking you to leave their establishment if they do not wish for you to carry there. Should a business owner or his agent ask you to leave while you are carrying a firearm, do so immediately, or as soon as reasonably possible. Failure to leave within a reasonable time, or refusing to leave, is a criminal offense known as “criminal trespass.” In addition, please maintain a polite demeanor so as to project a good image of yourself and other GCO members to the business owner and any witnesses even when being asked to leave.
Q: Can I carry at a Bar?
A: SB308 criminalized bar carry, unless the owner of the bar grants permission to carry. If the bar owner does not allow carry, it is a crime to carry there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
i was trying to find what the official signage looks like. any examples?
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
To my knowledge, there is no "official signage" ..
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My Mother moved to the Atlanta area last winter.  She applied for a carry permit in March.  She is still waiting for it.  They are telling her they are waiting on FBI to get back to them.  
She has no record what so ever.  From what I am reading, if there is no bad "report" on her record search after 30 days, she should be issued a permit.  

Any idea on what the real hold-up could be?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]
.gov happened.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not clear on the weapons definitions.  What is an AR with a 16 inch barrel classified?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am not clear on the weapons definitions.  What is an AR with a 16 inch barrel classified?

Stocked is considered a rifle
W/ Pistol buffer is considered a pistol
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
i pulled this off http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
The following definitions are only valid when used in 16-11-125.1 through 16-11-135 and certain other code sections
Weapon - Are defined as a handgun or a knife (except 16-11-127.1 which has its own definition for weapon). (16-11-125.1)

Handgun - A firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term 'handgun' shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter (since the term "shot" is used instead of "bullet", a pistol that fires .17HMR would be considered a handgun). (16-11-125.1)

Knife - A cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle (designed for offense and defense means that something like a filet knife would not be included). (16-11-125.1)

Long gun - A firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
 (A) Shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger or from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged; or
 (B) Metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;
provided, however, that the term 'long gun' shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter (since the term "shot" is used instead of "bullet", a rifle that fires .17HMR would be considered a long gun). (16-11-125.1)

SO...if a AR-pistol is made with 11.5" barrel, the overall length is over 26".  is it a legal pistol in GA or is it a rifle without a the ability to fire it from the shoulder?
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If someone could explain the military carry in plain English please...

Im AD on ft. Stewart and from what im tracking i don't need a concealed carry?
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
See 16-11-130, 11Bravo.  That would not apply on base, of course.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See 16-11-130, 11Bravo.  That would not apply on base, of course.

Thank you sir

n yeah i know all the off limit places
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Does this only apply when on duty?
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Does it apply to police officers only when on duty?  Same statute.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i pulled this off http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php
The following definitions are only valid when used in 16-11-125.1 through 16-11-135 and certain other code sections
Weapon - Are defined as a handgun or a knife (except 16-11-127.1 which has its own definition for weapon). (16-11-125.1)

Handgun - A firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term 'handgun' shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter (since the term "shot" is used instead of "bullet", a pistol that fires .17HMR would be considered a handgun). (16-11-125.1)

Knife - A cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle (designed for offense and defense means that something like a filet knife would not be included). (16-11-125.1)

Long gun - A firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
 (A) Shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger or from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged; or
 (B) Metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;
provided, however, that the term 'long gun' shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter (since the term "shot" is used instead of "bullet", a rifle that fires .17HMR would be considered a long gun). (16-11-125.1)

SO...if a AR-pistol is made with 11.5" barrel, the overall length is over 26".  is it a legal pistol in GA or is it a rifle without a the ability to fire it from the shoulder?

Holy divide by zero!
Link Posted: 9/19/2012 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't apply Georgia definitions to the U.S. Code.

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old thread-errectuion, I know...

So if I'm reading correct, ANY military can CCW with same rights/priveleges extended to LEO, correct?

Don't need my out-of-state CCW with me, just my ID card?

Sporting events, the mall, middle of a brewery (assuming I don't become intoxicated, of course), courthouse?

Any case law backing this?  I've seen the "military exempt" conversations on several other boards, but no one can say if it's really gone to court.  I have seen some letter circulating from a former state attorney, however.

Thanks in advance.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top