Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 8:34:52 AM EDT
We arrived in N.C. one week ago, having moved from MI. My son and I have MI Concealed carry licenses. I may have missed the answer to my question in reading over the N.C. gun laws. If so please excuse me but can anyone give me a specific answer as to how long we can carry here on our MI permits before we must apply for one here?

Thanks in advance for assistance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure the exact answer to your question. But i do know that you have to be a resident for 30 days before you can apply for a NC permit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably need to look at MI laws for the answer.

As a NC permit holder, you have 30 days to inform the Sheriff of a permanent change of address.  Technically, since NC only issues permits to NC residents, I would think your permit drops dead the day you move to another state.  

Moving to NC, you have 60 days to get a NC license.  Is that when you technically become a citizen of NC, or is it the day you move?  If it is the day you move, you are no longer a MI resident, so your permit has probably become invalid at that time.  Your license is still good because every state recognizes each other's license and gives you a month or more to get a license in your new state.

Some states allow their former residents to update their permit with an out of state address if they move.  The permit becomes a non-resident permit at that time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I think technically since you are now a NC resident your MI permit no longer applies. In reality if you still have a MI drivers license and not yet a NC one you are probably safe until you switch to NC. Once you have a NC drivers license you better get your NC CC permit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You are GTG with the MI permit..
After 30 days start the paperwork on a NC one.

NC law states it honors all "carry permits" from other states.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are GTG with the MI permit..
After 30 days start the paperwork on a NC one.

NC law states it honors all "carry permits" from other states.
View Quote
This is incorrect, I've just gone through this.

NC recognizes all other states carry permits for NON-residents.  If you visit NC with a valid Carry Permit from another state you are fine.

In order for a NC Resident to legally carry you need a valid NC Carry permit.

Your MI permit is no longer valid in NC when you become a NC resident.  You must also be a NC resident for 30 days in order too apply.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NC recognizes all other states carry permits for NON-residents.  If you visit NC with a valid Carry Permit from another state you are fine.

Your MI permit is no longer valid in NC when you become a NC resident.  You must also be a NC resident for 30 days in order too apply.
View Quote
As per a conversation with a county sheriff, as long as it's a valid permit your good to go....
I moved here and my NY permit was/is still valid... Well.... till I turn in before 1/1/18    :(
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As per a conversation with a county sheriff, as long as it's a valid permit your good to go....
I moved here and my NY permit was/is still valid... Well.... till I turn in before 1/1/18    :(
View Quote
Then it might be up to interpretation.

Mecklenburg County Sheriff's office told me definitively that an NC resident requires a NC permit in NC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then it might be up to interpretation.

Mecklenburg County Sheriff's office told me definitively that an NC resident requires a NC permit in NC.
View Quote
I was told the same when I moved here. It was ok, until I became a resident of NC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

. If your permit was issued before January 15, 2013, the deadline to submit your recertification is January 31, 2018.  so you got an extra 30 days
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#12]
What county are you in?  Some of the bigger ones have insane wait times after you file the paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What county are you in?  Some of the bigger ones have insane wait times after you file the paperwork.
View Quote
Union County.

And thanks for all the replies folks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top