Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 11:59:55 PM EDT
Anyone had theirs renewed lately? Mine snuck up on me and runs out September 8th. I'm sending off my renewal packet Monday for Burke.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Per NC statute 14-415.16 as long as you have applied for the renewal prior to the expiration date your permit remains valid until you receive your renewal or a revocation.

I'd recommend carrying a copy of your receipt from the sheriffs office for the renewal fee with your permit but you're good to go once it's submitted.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Per NC statute 14-415.16 as long as you have applied for the renewal prior to the expiration date your permit remains valid until you receive your renewal or a revocation.

I'd recommend carrying a copy of your receipt from the sheriffs office for the renewal fee with your permit but you're good to go once it's submitted.
View Quote
That's awesome. Thanks! I'll print out that statue and staple it to my receipt confirmation. Five years went by quick.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, those 5 year chunks pass faster the older ya get too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Renewed in Wake earlier this year. Submitted paperwork mid April, received new permit early June.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To be clear...it's still usable to carry after it has expired, as long as you reapplied before that date. However, you won't be able to use your CHP as a purchase permit once it expires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

To be clear...it's still usable to carry after it has expired, as long as you reapplied before that date. However, you won't be able to use your CHP as a purchase permit once it expires.
As to using it to purchase a pistol you are incorrect.  Statute 14-402 says that in order to purchase a handgun either:

(i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides;

or

(ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.
And then under NC statute 14-415.16 item "c"
The permit of a permittee who complies with this section shall remain valid beyond the expiration date of the permit until the permittee either receives a renewal permit or is denied a renewal permit by the sheriff.
So as per statute if you renew your permit prior to the expiration date you can still purchase handguns using your CHP since it's still valid even after the expiration date.

That being said, I'd bet there would still have to be a phone call to the sheriffs officer by the seller to verify that indeed the permit was submitted for renewal. Just to cover butts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll just add, when I renewed I started the process as early as possible and still my permit expired before the new one was approved.  Meck county, go figure.

I was told by the lady at the Sheriffs office that I could carry using my expired permit, but I could NOT use it to purchase.

Word from the horses mouth
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's what is on their website...which I quoted above.

However, it wouldn't be the first time an organization made up their own interpretation and tried to enforce it. No different than the "firearms laws" document Cooper had which wasn't actually the law.
View Quote
Every time I think of Roy's "Interpretation" of the letter of the law I envision that scene from the Wizard Of Oz where he says pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

It's like getting gum on your shoe, we just can't seem to get rid of him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top