Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2017 10:44:30 AM EDT
So, I purchased a M10/45 when I lived in NC from another NC resident. At the time I got a permit from my sheriff. I subsequently moved to Missouri. As I understood it, North Carolina law changed a couple of years ago to make machinegun ownership easier.  

I submitted a 5320.20 to the NFA Branch last month to temporarily transport my M10/45 back to NC so I could take it to the range while visiting some friends. I got the 5320.20 back yesterday marked "disapproved" with the note "MG-violation of state law."  

So, I'm wondering if the particular examiner is misinformed on NC law, I am misinformed, or something in NC has changed.   Has anyone purchased a MG recently and had it approved or submitted a 5320.20 to transport a MG into NC and had it approved?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing has changed that I know of. What did you put for the reason?

The MG permits are gone, no CLEO approval required. Be interesting to see an explanation from the examiner if they'd provide one. Do you know who it was?
View Quote
The reason I put was "shooting competition" as I planned to shoot it at a side match after an IDPA match. I was under the impression that the old "scientific and experimental purposes as provided by NCGS 14-288.8 and 14-409" was no longer necessary.  Perhaps that was my problem.  However, I have previously had 5320.20s approved for SBRs to NC with shooting competition as the reason, so I'm not sure.

The examiner appears to be Damon Wrialet or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If they made outright banned them they failed to inform me
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey OP what became of this?

Just curious if anyone knows.....
Are there many outdoor ranges that allow Mg's?
Any monthly subgun matches?

Preferably near the coast.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't had time to mess with it since. I'm going to be moving back to the southeast sometime in the next year and a half, but Virginia is looking more likely than North Carolina. I'm not sure if I will have an opportunity to visit NC again with the potential to bring my MG between now and then. I know this whole thing is likely a mistake on the part of the examiner, after all I owned the gun when I lived in NC and I bought it from another NC resident.

I'm tempted just to submit the 5320.20 again and see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top