Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2017 11:12:07 AM EDT
When/If you were to sell older long guns (military surplus bolt guns) would you require a purchase permit?

Bill of sale?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither is required by law for private sales between residents of NC for long guns so do what YOU feel most comfortable with. If you are happy with cash and a handshake then that's acceptable. If you feel better with a bill of sale and checking their DL to make sure their a resident and of age then fine. Your sale your choice as to what you are comfortable with.

Just be aware that for everyone that is willing to provide the info you feel comfortable with there will be others that won't want to deal that way so stick to your requirements and sell away.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither is required by law for private sales between residents of NC for long guns so do what YOU feel most comfortable with. If you are happy with cash and a handshake then that's acceptable. If you feel better with a bill of sale and checking their DL to make sure their a resident and of age then fine. Your sale your choice as to what you are comfortable with.

Just be aware that for everyone that is willing to provide the info you feel comfortable with there will be others that won't want to deal that way so stick to your requirements and sell away.
View Quote
Thanks.

I've seen a couple of discussions over the years and a lot of different opinions as to what is required.

I would be comfortable seeing a DL, just to verify age and residence.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I should also state what I think is obvious but may be forgotten by some. You are also required to believe that the person you are selling to can legally possess a firearm based on both age and criminal convictions restrictions.

Some people include that clause in a bill of sale stating that the purchaser may legally possess a firearm and have the purchaser sign it.

Now selling a handgun is a WHOLE different ball of wax.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I should also state what I think is obvious but may be forgotten by some. You are also required to believe that the person you are selling to can legally possess a firearm based on both age and criminal convictions restrictions.

Some people include that clause in a bill of sale stating that the purchaser may legally possess a firearm and have the purchaser sign it.

Now selling a handgun is a WHOLE different ball of wax.
View Quote
Agreed.  Handguns are a whole different animal in my book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top