Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 9:58:07 AM EDT
I've lived in this house for 27 years and owned dogs the entire time.  I've never found a tick on them.

Monday morning I found a tick crawling on the shower wall.  Yesterday we inspected the dogs and found two so they're in the yard.

I've read that ticks are at an all time high in some states that had a mild winter.  I guess we're not going to escape them either.

Have you noticed an increase in the tick population?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
A little bit, down near Charlotte, but I grew up in the woods in PA and we'd find a few ticks a day (dog ticks, not the tiny deer ticks which I never saw one of) and they would all die. We had a special stone we used to smash them when found outside or they were flushed if found inside. It'll take a lot before I think of this area as anything other than being generally tick free.

All growing up I thought ticks jump, but only recently learned that they don't actually jump at all, they sit on vegetation and hitch a ride when you brush by.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Charlotte too.

I'm guessing that the tick in the shower came off of me.  I was cutting back a hedge Sunday and then took a shower.

That prompted me to check out the dogs.  Like I said we found ticks on two dogs, the other two were clean

I'm researching tick killer that won't kill the dogs, if there is such a thing
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
They are TERRIBLE around here.  Central Piedmont.

Usually the normal sized ticks are bad, but this year we have seen big numbers of these little tiny ticks.  Not sure what they are called (deer tick maybe?) but almost as small as the point on a pencil.

Wife had one stuck on her, she thought it was just a tiny scab.  Looked at it REAL close, TICK..!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the pinhead ones (their size, not their prey!) are deer ticks, also known as the most common tick carriers of lyme disease. Get them off quickly when found.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
We found 2 more ticks on the dog that likes to lay by the fence with the neighbors dogs, and the one we founf on the other dog was the tiny kind
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive picked several off my kids and my dog so far this year.  First time my kids have ever had them
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I live south of Graham, Alamance county.  They are bad this year.
I always treat the yard with an insect killer and the dogs are not hurt.
Looks like I will have to treat again pretty soon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The rain doesn't help, washes everything away. Better than no rain at all I suppose...
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live south of Graham, Alamance county.  They are bad this year.
I always treat the yard with an insect killer and the dogs are not hurt.
Looks like I will have to treat again pretty soon.
View Quote
What are you using on the yard that is dog safe?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Haven't really noticed an increase around the house, though I'd guess we've found as many already as we do all summer usually.
Went out to Aurora and kicked around in the woods for maybe 15 minutes found over a dozen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife just came to me with a tick she found crawling up her leg.

She is in her temporary home office.

I know it came in on a dog, Dani is guarding her.

What can I spray on the yard to kill ticks and not kill the dogs?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:10:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Lowes and Home Depot sell insect killer from Spectracide, Ortho and others.
I buy the 20 pound bags and use a lawn spreader to apply it.
Read the directions on the bag but most claim to be pet safe after watering.
I sprinkle a bit heavier around the house.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
We found a dozen on our pups after a walk. They're terrible in Nantahala Forest.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lowes and Home Depot sell insect killer from Spectracide, Ortho and others.
I buy the 20 pound bags and use a lawn spreader to apply it.
Read the directions on the bag but most claim to be pet safe after watering.
I sprinkle a bit heavier around the house.
View Quote
Snow camp here.  

We had ticks bad until we got chickens. Chickens are a death sentence to the tick population.  They're the gift that keeps on giving. And when they stop you eat them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Just moved into our new house in Indian Trail, and haven't seen any so far.  Didn't see any at our other in Indian Trail either, but one of the neighbor's kids had one on her the other day.  My old house and new house are only a mile and a half apart, so not a great sample size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top