Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 5:39:54 AM EDT
So we will be relocating to Wilmington this summer.  I have searched the archives and found a little info, but the threads were a few years old.

Any thoughts on areas to live?  We would prefer to have something with water access for our boat.  So either a house with a dock/lift or perhaps a neighborhood with a community water access point.

Are there any dry dock marinas available?  Our boat has an I/O so I wouldn't want to leave it in the water all the time.  That may be another alternative to a house with water access.

I'm sure I will think of other things along the way.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Let's narrow it down a bit, do you want access to the Cape Fear River or the ICW? Also the two bodies of water connect at Snows Cut.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to guess that Cape Fear River might be more affordable than the ICW?

For now let's just say CFR. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything with water access is going to be expensive...but yes, Cape Fear river will be cheaper than ICW.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Well we spent all day yesterday with a realtor looking at homes in the area.  We tended to gravitate to the ones we saw in the Leland/Belville area.  Lots of homes available with water access in our price range.

That would put us on the Brunswick.  Any thoughts or comments about that area or section of river? 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you don't plan on working in Wilmington and have deal with the gridlock at rush hour, Brunswick is going to be the best value for money spent.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As long as you don't plan on working in Wilmington and have deal with the gridlock at rush hour, Brunswick is going to be the best value for money spent.
View Quote
@Seanquiqley  That's what we determined from a lot of internet searching and our visit seemed to confirm it as well.  My work will not require me to go into Wilmington at all, and my wife isn't working.  No kids in school to contend with either.  Any trips into Wilmington could probably be timed around traffic most of the time.

Any comments on the Brunswick River?  Seemed pretty tidal when we were there but the boat slips were built to accomodate that.

What about boat storage or rental slips?  I would expect that competition for them is intense.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have seen that one boat ramp right off of river road, on the Brunswick side and it looked like it got really shallow and muddy at low tide, that you would have to plan your trip around the tide.
Sorry, I don't know about slips and docks since I would launch from a private marina on the ICW  or one of the many public ramps for the river or ICW, if we felt like doing something different once and awhile.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the best city in North Carolina.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Hearing lots positive comments about the Monkey Junction area.  Anyone have any insight to that?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hearing lots positive comments about the Monkey Junction area.  Anyone have any insight to that?
View Quote
I've not lived in that area, but have spent a ton of time there (but not in the past couple years, as evidenced by my location). Last time I was home though I saw they're building another Mayfaire off the 17th st extension, which is going to make the already bad traffic on South College Rd impossibly horrific.

The good news is that depending on where you are, I think some of it is still outside city limits and you're close-ish to downtown and Carolina Beach.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the info.  I will be going over this weekend to look at houses, so I will check that area out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well we spent all day yesterday with a realtor looking at homes in the area.  We tended to gravitate to the ones we saw in the Leland/Belville area.  Lots of homes available with water access in our price range.

That would put us on the Brunswick.  Any thoughts or comments about that area or section of river? 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keep in my the Brunswick River is the sketchiest place ti use a boat. Lots of obstructions under the water level.

Same goes for the Cape Fear River out of the channel.

Also if you live in the northern part of the Cape Fear it will take you a long time to get to the ICW or offshore. (I don't know what kind of fishing you plannon doing).

Putting your boat in a slip or dry stack is always the best option.  Unless you have a $800K+ budget for a house.  

Quoted:
I only have seen that one boat ramp right off of river road, on the Brunswick side and it looked like it got really shallow and muddy at low tide, that you would have to plan your trip around the tide.
Sorry, I don't know about slips and docks since I would launch from a private marina on the ICW  or one of the many public ramps for the river or ICW, if we felt like doing something different once and awhile.
You can not put any boat in the Riverwalk Park boat ramp. Its to shallow even for a kayak sometimes.

Anyway good luck and welcome.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
@doubleshot00 thanks for the info!  We looked at a few places in the Leland area on the Brunswick and were wondering why they weren't as desired as the houses in Wilmington because the homes were actually pretty nice for the price.  Seems like the water there isn't as functional or convenient to use.

We actually just have a pleasure boat.  It's a 23 foot Sea Ray bowrider with an I/O, so probably not the best choice for using down there (we actually bought it in Wrightsville Beach).  But for our purposes it will probably be fine as long as I'm able to flush it after each use and can keep it out of the water.  By the time I took the depreciation hit on selling it I could probably just put a new engine in it if needed.

We have looked at houses all the way from Porters Neck to Monkey Junction in our price range that either have wet slips or lifts.  Just not sure I want to put that much into a house though.  From everything we have heard the dry dock storages are all backed way up with several year waiting lists too. 

Lots of things to consider, and fortunately we aren't in a hurry.  We are just moving over from the New Bern area so it isn't like the boss and I will be apart and I have a temporary apartment to live in for work.  Any other info about the area would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If your looking at dry stack call the St. James Marina and see what the wait is.

Stay away from Wrightsville Beach at all cost boating wise. Its a cluster yuck imo.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I will throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.
As someone who has lived on wrightsville bch and currently lives/owns on the mainland side near the drawbridge - I vote for this area if you can afford it.
I guess it depends on what you want.
around wrightsville it is always going to be desirable - easy to rent out, values will continue to climb etc etc.
The caliber of person living in this area is generally more successful, generally less riff raft since let's be honest it costs more to live here.
Friends in other parts of town comment when they go to the grocery stores near the beach they feel out of place since mostly the patrons are fit,health conscious and good looking -- seemingly well to do.
I am a trade person who bought in 20 years ago when it was affordable - I could not afford to buy here now so I feel lucky to be in such a desirable area.
As for boats I became spoiled since my parents had a slip off causeway when I was younger - once you have been exposed to keeping your boat in the water(or a dry slip I guess) it ruins you. The idea of trailering a boat to a public ramp seems like too much hassle.
I have sold my boat and boating/fishing while fun loses it luster over time so bear that in mind.
Brunswick county seems anything but cool from my perspective ( no offense to Brunswick county guys) I think it's a haven for northern folks escaping the northeast where they can get a lot of house for much cheaper than where they came from.
I have not been across the capefear bridge in years - there is nothing in that area that I need to see,do etc - my work is around the wrightsville/landfall area where there are plenty of folks willing to spend money.
Of the areas you listed the porters neck area seems coolest from my perspective, my parents lived there after getting off the beach. Although that whole area has blown up on market street leading there - hampstead seems cool but it has exploded as well.
People bitch about wilmington traffic but after growing up in a coastal San Diego beach town they apparently have not been in a desirable area where people want to visit,go etc -- it's not that bad but again I am biased since I work in about a 3 mile radius from my home.
Good luck and welcome to the area.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I will throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.
As someone who has lived on wrightsville bch and currently lives/owns on the mainland side near the drawbridge - I vote for this area if you can afford it.
I guess it depends on what you want.
around wrightsville it is always going to be desirable - easy to rent out, values will continue to climb etc etc.
The caliber of person living in this area is generally more successful, generally less riff raft since let's be honest it costs more to live here.
Friends in other parts of town comment when they go to the grocery stores near the beach they feel out of place since mostly the patrons are fit,health conscious and good looking -- seemingly well to do.
I am a trade person who bought in 20 years ago when it was affordable - I could not afford to buy here now so I feel lucky to be in such a desirable area.
As for boats I became spoiled since my parents had a slip off causeway when I was younger - once you have been exposed to keeping your boat in the water(or a dry slip I guess) it ruins you. The idea of trailering a boat to a public ramp seems like too much hassle.
I have sold my boat and boating/fishing while fun loses it luster over time so bear that in mind.
Brunswick county seems anything but cool from my perspective ( no offense to Brunswick county guys) I think it's a haven for northern folks escaping the northeast where they can get a lot of house for much cheaper than where they came from.
I have not been across the capefear bridge in years - there is nothing in that area that I need to see,do etc - my work is around the wrightsville/landfall area where there are plenty of folks willing to spend money.
Of the areas you listed the porters neck area seems coolest from my perspective, my parents lived there after getting off the beach. Although that whole area has blown up on market street leading there - hampstead seems cool but it has exploded as well.
People bitch about wilmington traffic but after growing up in a coastal San Diego beach town they apparently have not been in a desirable area where people want to visit,go etc -- it's not that bad but again I am biased since I work in about a 3 mile radius from my home.
Good luck and welcome to the area.
View Quote
Truth. There are also some nice, more affordable houses in Ogden, which is pretty close to the beach. While it does get more expensiive the closer you get to the beach, you can find some affordable houses.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies fellas.  What you are saying lines up with our research so far. Hopefully in the next month we can settle in on a location and get a home bought. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top