Weather some snow but rare
Taxes
etc
I'll add as I come up with more questions
Thanks

Beach close access to water etc ..hence my username
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
SC has better gun laws fore sure. In NC, you need a pistol purchase permit to buy a pistol unless you have an NC CHP. It is annoying. Reciprocity is stellar, with NC recognizing all other permits. The list of places you can't carry is much shorter than it was when I moved here a few years ago. Shooting ranges are hard to find and expensive, with very few ( can't think of any) going out to 600 yards as is typical in the southwestern US, with range fees that are expensive. Whether you think they are expensive depends on where you're moving from. 

I'm not really up on comparative tax rates, but I know my buddy's family prefers to live in SC and commute to Charlotte for tax reasons. There is an income tax in NC. Depending on the part of the state, it can snow in NC, but unless you're in the mountains it's pretty rare. In such instances, the snow isn't dangerous, but the drivers are.

Here is what one inch of snow does to Raleigh.

Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SC has better gun laws fore sure. In NC, you need a pistol purchase permit to buy a pistol unless you have an NC CHP. It is annoying. Reciprocity is stellar, with NC recognizing all other permits. The list of places you can't carry is much shorter than it was when I moved here a few years ago. Shooting ranges are hard to find and expensive, with very few ( can't think of any) going out to 600 yards as is typical in the southwestern US, with range fees that are expensive. Whether you think they are expensive depends on where you're moving from. 

I'm not really up on comparative tax rates, but I know my buddy's family prefers to live in SC and commute to Charlotte for tax reasons. There is an income tax in NC. Depending on the part of the state, it can snow in NC, but unless you're in the mountains it's pretty rare. In such instances, the snow isn't dangerous, but the drivers are.

Here is what one inch of snow does to Raleigh.

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wtvd/cms_exf_2007/news/local/9430824_1280x720.jpg
View Quote
Hahahaha
I remember that Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I retired to Harnett County, but Charlotte would have been better.  SC is nice, also, but I prefer to be a little higher off the ground when the hurricane hits.  As was already said, being South of the snow line and away from Charlotte & Raleigh traffic is nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Born and raised in NC, rural. A handful of places to avoid for tax reasons and snowbirds. Budget cuts shut down a few prisons, many many retards back on the street on "supervised probation-parole" with no more staff to babysit.

If my roots were not so deep I would roll south 20-30 miles for upper SC.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
South Carolina

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Propguy your not stating where your coming from..

Reason why i ask comes from this.. I'm from the peoples republic of the North east.. My wife and i left exactly 1 year ago today.

We were looking at Ga the jasper area and decided we would end up in the fort benning area..

Well that didnt work out.. My wife landed a job in Fort Myers Fla. it was $10,000  more than she was making in the north east.  

So we decide why not try it.. Well we lasted 9 months in Fla.. The heat and humidity did us in..

I still own a house in the north east and for 9 months i traveled (mostly drove) 22 hours to get back up north. I did this about 11 times we were down in Fa.

On the way traveling north i had a friend from high school who lives on the coast of NC. So its more than half way north so i would stop in and spend a night on the coast.

The cost of NC is very similar to the South New Jersey coast expect the ocean is cleaner, people are nicer and its cheaper here than in NJ. My wife is from Southern Jersey.

I work in the IT world and travel many years i the RTP area for my job.  I do not like the Northern mentally of the RTP area at all. But on the coast its more of the southern  mentally that i really do enjoy a lot...

We skipped GA after dealing with the heat/humidity of FLA. we felt it would end up being the same.

I have been in Jacksonville NC since Feb 1st and my wife and I completey love it down/up here and after I sell my house up north i'll be looking for a town house down here and a cabin in the mountians. (The best of both worlds)

I strongly suggest you visit each state you want to think of living in and take a week or two. Once in the winter and once and summer to make sure you can deal with the weather.

And the biggest thing where ever you move to down south.. Convience the liberal's to move north to where they belong.

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Reason why i ask comes from this.. I'm from the peoples republic of the North east.. My wife and i left exactly 1 year ago today.

We were looking at Ga the jasper area and decided we would end up in the fort benning area..

Well that didnt work out.. My wife landed a job in Fort Myers Fla. it was $10,000  more than she was making in the north east.  

So we decide why not try it.. Well we lasted 9 months in Fla.. The heat and humidity did us in..

I still own a house in the north east and for 9 months i traveled (mostly drove) 22 hours to get back up north. I did this about 11 times we were down in Fa.

On the way traveling north i had a friend from high school who lives on the coast of NC. So its more than half way north so i would stop in and spend a night on the coast.

The cost of NC is very similar to the South New Jersey coast expect the ocean is cleaner, people are nicer and its cheaper here than in NJ. My wife is from Southern Jersey.

I work in the IT world and travel many years i the RTP area for my job.  I do not like the Northern mentally of the RTP area at all. But on the coast its more of the southern  mentally that i really do enjoy a lot...

We skipped GA after dealing with the heat/humidity of FLA. we felt it would end up being the same.

I have been in Jacksonville NC since Feb 1st and my wife and I completey love it down/up here and after I sell my house up north i'll be looking for a town house down here and a cabin in the mountians. (The best of both worlds)

I strongly suggest you visit each state you want to think of living in and take a week or two. Once in the winter and once and summer to make sure you can deal with the weather.

And the biggest thing where ever you move to down south.. Convience the liberal's to move north to where they belong.

View Quote
Haha
I'm in the NE as well but NOT from here, I also lived in FM for 4 years .......uh yea not again
Being from the south originally I crave the heat, my Yankee/convert wife maybe not Yea FL. is really not on the radar I have deep family roots there but no desire to move back.
Thanks man I appreciate the info ...heck we might be neighbors at some point
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Rabun County, GA. Right on the NC and SC boarder. GA has much better 2nd laws. Rabun being rural is cheap to live in has high elevation, outdoor activities for days. The main town Clayton is a great little location.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks CB I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure. From a few short visits there I really enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you thought the heat-humidity in FL was bad, Ft. Benning is right near the center of hell in the summer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I live in Edenton, NC.  It is a real nice little southern town.  I grew up in Mass.  Lived in Virginia for ten years and then moved down here in 2008.  We are about an hour from the Outer Banks.

There are very few shooting ranges around here because there is sooooooo much open farm land.  So you need to hook up with someone for easy shooting.  I have a spot about ten minutes from my house.  There is a gun club down closer to the beach (Outer Banks Gun club), but I have never been there. It is about an hour from us.  Also, Frontline Defense is a huge range about 2 hours from Edenton.

The hunting is good, once you make some friends and get permission.  Hunt clubs are real common but I do it on my own on some friend's land.  I also kayak hunt the creeks for wood ducks and that is a blast.

Fishing on the rivers and sounds can range from bad to fantastic and the same goes for ocean fishing.  I have a 25 foot Hydra Sports and generally go out of Oregon Inlet on the nice days when the inlet doesn't look like a washing machine.

My house backs up to a huge swamp yet the bugs are not too bad most of the time.  There are these little gnats in this area of NC that can be really annoying. They don't bite, but they will swarm around you and crawl all over you.   Luckily, they don't seem to like Edenton on many days.  Some areas around here (Rocky Hock) are so thick with them in the summer that I would not want to live there.  We occasionally get copperheads and water moccasins into the yard.  I have hit a couple with the mower and smacked a couple with a shovel over the years.  I cleared out some of the jungle behind my fence and that seems to have solved it for the last few years.

Obviously the winters are very mild and spring and fall seasons seem much longer than in New England.

We were considering getting closer to the coast when we bought, but you will pay a premium to be closer to the ocean.

We took two trips to the Carolinas before we decided.  We spent a week each time driving around checking places out.  For some reason, Edenton clicked with us.

There is a quite a bit of poverty in the south so be prepared for some pretty dismal towns as you travel around.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you thought the heat-humidity in FL was bad, Ft. Benning is right near the center of hell in the summer.
View Quote
Hahah you sound just like son.. He did his boot there.. Said no way would he move down there due to the heat and humidity.  I felt Ft. Ben was better than Ft. Gorden where he did his ati.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, we have some hot humid weather in NC too, but up here it usually isn't long stretches of brutal heat.  Usually 3 or 4 days and then it gets a little better.  
For me, it gets real uncomfortable from 93F and up.  Having grown up in New England, I probably have a lower tolerance for it than those that grew up with it.

The people down here are what really make it worth it though.  I was talking to someone who had moved here from Miami.  She said it freaked her out at first how strangers will stop and say hi on the street.  Very friendly folks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Edenton, NC.  It is a real nice little southern town.  I grew up in Mass.  Lived in Virginia for ten years and then moved down here in 2008.  We are about an hour from the Outer Banks.

There are very few shooting ranges around here because there is sooooooo much open farm land.  So you need to hook up with someone for easy shooting.  I have a spot about ten minutes from my house.  There is a gun club down closer to the beach (Outer Banks Gun club), but I have never been there. It is about an hour from us.  Also, Frontline Defense is a huge range about 2 hours from Edenton.

The hunting is good, once you make some friends and get permission.  Hunt clubs are real common but I do it on my own on some friend's land.  I also kayak hunt the creeks for wood ducks and that is a blast.

Fishing on the rivers and sounds can range from bad to fantastic and the same goes for ocean fishing.  I have a 25 foot Hydra Sports and generally go out of Oregon Inlet on the nice days when the inlet doesn't look like a washing machine.

My house backs up to a huge swamp yet the bugs are not too bad most of the time.  There are these little gnats in this area of NC that can be really annoying. They don't bite, but they will swarm around you and crawl all over you.   Luckily, they don't seem to like Edenton on many days.  Some areas around here (Rocky Hock) are so thick with them in the summer that I would not want to live there.  We occasionally get copperheads and water moccasins into the yard.  I have hit a couple with the mower and smacked a couple with a shovel over the years.  I cleared out some of the jungle behind my fence and that seems to have solved it for the last few years.

Obviously the winters are very mild and spring and fall seasons seem much longer than in New England.

We were considering getting closer to the coast when we bought, but you will pay a premium to be closer to the ocean.

We took two trips to the Carolinas before we decided.  We spent a week each time driving around checking places out.  For some reason, Edenton clicked with us.

There is a quite a bit of poverty in the south so be prepared for some pretty dismal towns as you travel around.
View Quote
Weird timing. I was doing a little spring cleaning this weekend and getting some stuff together to donate when I came across this poster in a box of stuff that was going out to the car.

I lived in Greenville at the time and we drove up for the show; that was probably the last time I was in Edenton.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hahah you sound just like son.. He did his boot there.. Said no way would he move down there due to the heat and humidity.  I felt Ft. Ben was better than Ft. Gorden where he did his ati.
View Quote
Yeah buddy, Harmony Church back in the day.

Sweat so much if your boots dried out at night they would have a little bit of chalky white on them, it was salt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Weird timing. I was doing a little spring cleaning this weekend and getting some stuff together to donate when I came across this poster in a box of stuff that was going out to the car.

I lived in Greenville at the time and we drove up for the show; that was probably the last time I was in Edenton.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/622/edenton-229356.jpg
View Quote
Cool.  I think they still do some small air shows at the airport here.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
SC

We're full.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top