Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2017 2:32:35 PM EDT
This hit my Facebook account, Thought I'd pass it on here...

BREAKING: The NC Constitutional Carry Act (H.B. 201) has been introduced in the NC House of Representatives!

Now we need your help to get it passed by delivering 100,000 petitions to legislators in Raleigh to demand a vote on H.B. 201!
Sign Your Constitutional Carry Petition TODAY

Link
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry but this really isn't breaking since the bill was filed in February and last saw action in March.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2017&BillID=hb+201&submitButton=Go
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm - It just hit my FB feed and then tonight at 10:01 I got this from GRNC:

PLEASE ENCOURAGE
HOUSE REPUBLICANS

Encouraging News
It looks as though the hard work of gun rights supporters like you has brought pro-gun bills in the General Assembly to a positive place. We have learned that legislation for constitutional carry, and other pro-gun items, are likely to receive a fresh look from House Republicans very soon, perhaps as early as Tuesday (5/23).  

This is very encouraging news, because with everything else that has been making news at the General Assembly lately, it was beginning to look as though gun legislation was being left behind. 

Please Encourage NC House Republicans
Please contact NC House members to let them know that voters are very eager to see them pass pro-gun legislation this session, particularly constitutional carry and other marquee bills. Certainly, with a veto-proof majority, and the full support of the people, there is no reason they cannot get this done. However, in order for this to happen, they’ll need to know that voters like you are behind them.

Below, see how you can easily email NC House Republicans to encourage them to support strong pro-gun legislation in caucus this week. Further encourage them to vote for these bills in committee, and on the House floor.

With your encouragement, legislators may very well provide the people of North Carolina with the pro-freedom bills we’ve been asking for.   
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Will it be able to override the Governor's veto? You know he won't sign off on that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will it be able to override the Governor's veto? You know he won't sign off on that.
View Quote
R's have supermajorities, so as long as they grab their spines before they head out the door to work, yes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
R's have supermajorities, so as long as they grab their spines before they head out the door to work, yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snicker* We will see. I hope you are right.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Done!

I worked hard last year to get Constitutional carry passed in WVa so I might as well pick it up here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Done and done. Also emailed my state rep to let him know I'm watching.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
ONE STEP CLOSER

Good news! Today, freedom lovers scored a big victory in the House Judiciary IV Committee …

Your efforts are paying off! Due to the hard work of gun rights supporters like you over the last several weeks, the omnibus gun bill, which includes constitutional carry, has cleared its first major hurdle. It is exciting to report that this evening, the House Judicial IV Committee voted 9 to 6 to move the bill to the next step, and all weakening amendments were defeated. Kudos to the ‘Critical Nine!’

Thanks to Sponsors & Outspoken Supporters
Many, many thanks to the bill’s courageous sponsors and other representatives who actively supported this bill. The sponsors are: Rep. Jay AdamsRep. Beverly BoswellRep. Chris Millis,Rep. Larry Pittman, and Rep. Michael Speciale. We can also thank Rep. George Cleveland and Rep. Bert Jones for their outspoken support during the committee meeting. Well done, all!

A Couple More Hurdles
On Thursday (6/1), the bill will be shuttled to the Finance Committee. Once it’s through Finance, it’s off to the House floor. It’s possible that this important bill could land on the House floor for a vote as early as Thursday afternoon, so kindly follow up with the 'Immediate Action' below as soon as possible. 

One Republican Plans Unforced Error
The hurdles mentioned above may be set relatively low, as long as Republicans live up to their party’s platform, which has a very strong stance on gun rights, and specifically supports constitutional carry. Unfortunately, there is one hurdle that may come in the form of an “unforced error” by one or more Republicans. It sounds as though, in defiance of Republican and Second Amendment principles, Rep. Sam Watford (Davidson County) is planning to offer weakening amendments in an attempt to water down this omnibus bill.

Make no mistake, GRNC will oppose ANY weakening amendments to this gun bill, whether they come from Rep. Watford, or anyone else. We will oppose these amendments, insist that other House members vote against them, and we’ll be keeping tabs on who does what. In fact, we encourage you to phone Rep. Watford right now, and politely insist that he not propose anything that would weaken the right of the people to keep and bear arms. His legislative office phone number is 919-715-2526. You can politely remind him of the strong, pro-gun stance taken in the 2016 Republican Platform.

The Next Step
The victory in committee is great news, but we need to keep reminding legislators that voters are serious about their right to keep and bear arms. Let’s keep the pressure on, and make sure everyone in Raleigh knows what the people expect. Below, see how you can easily email House Republicans to do just that. Before you know it we’ll have constitutional carry here in North Carolina! 

IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED!

• EMAIL NC HOUSE REPUBLICANS:  Use the copy/paste email list(s) below, and the copy/paste text under ‘Deliver This Message.’ 

• PHONE REP. SAM WATFORD: Politely tell him that gun voters are watching and we will not accept weakening amendments to the omnibus gun bill. Remind him of the very strong, pro-gun stance spelled out in the 2016 Republican Platform, and ask him to live up to that platform. His legislative office number is: 919-715-2526
CONTACT INFO

NC House Republicans Email *List(s)

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

*Spam filters or email program limitations may cause the need to send more than one email, to cover the entire list of representatives. If so, the list above is split into three pieces, for your convenience.

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE

Suggested Subject: 

"Vote 'YES' on Omnibus Gun Bill without Weakening"  

Dear Representative:

I understand that the omnibus gun bill has cleared the House Judicial IV committee (J4), and is on its way to the Finance Committee. I also understand the bill passed though J4 without any weakening amendments. This is fantastic news! A big ‘thank you’ to the sponsors of this bill and to others who actively supported it.

I am writing today to ask you to vote ‘Yes’ on this bill if you happen to be on the Finance Committee, to vote ‘Yes’ on this bill on the House floor, and to vote ‘No’ on any weakening amendments. The right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental human right, and North Carolinians are finally making headway in rolling back the oppressive erosion of this right that has taken place in recent decades. Let’s keep that freedom trend going!

On that same note, I would also remind you that strong support for “constitutional carry” is an explicit part of the Republican Party’s 2016 platform (see page 12), just as gun rights in general are. With this fact at the forefront, I can see no reason for any Republican to shy away from supporting this gun-rights legislation. In fact, among other things, pro-Second Amendment policy is precisely what voters had in mind when they chose you as their representative.

For reasons that are quite clear, voters expect you to support this bill in committee, on the House floor, and without weakening amendments. Please do so.

I’ll be eagerly awaiting more news on this topic from Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts. 

Respectfully,  
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#10]
So, I'm about as far from a lawyer as you can imagine, so I don't understand their double-speak.  I can, however, read a law and the bill being shuffled around seems to eliminate the pistol purchase permit, right?
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top