Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
So...I just applied for a job in Charlotte. Never been there. I had been looking in NV, UT, TX and some other places out west, but this one is too interesting/good to pass up if I can land it. Anyway, can anyone who lives in the area talk about...

1. home prices: the wife and I don't need much. Maybe 1,800-2,200 sq ft. What can $300k get you out there? Here that kind of money gets you a run down 50 year old 1,500 sq ft house that is a 45 min commute from work.

2. commuting: work place is north of downtown by the 485. Is it going to take me an hour to get to work if I buy a place in the $300k range?

3. gun laws: I have pretty much all the NFA fun stuff outside of MGs and SBSs...any issues with such things in NC? I can already CC there with my FL permit...but any hassles with CC?

4. taxes: what am I in for, especially regarding income and property taxes? Presuming married/joint filing and $150k+ of income and a house in the budget above.

5. places to shoot: out here we have land owned by lumber/paper companies that we can shoot on, among other places. I have to drive about 30 mins to get to them, but they are there and using the area is free. How difficult is it to find rural locations to shoot in NC?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So...I just applied for a job in Charlotte. Never been there. I had been looking in NV, UT, TX and some other places out west, but this one is too interesting/good to pass up if I can land it. Anyway, can anyone who lives in the area talk about...

1. home prices: the wife and I don't need much. Maybe 1,800-2,200 sq ft. What can $300k get you out there? Here that kind of money gets you a run down 50 year old 1,500 sq ft house that is a 45 min commute from work. We're about 30 minutes north of Charlotte, and 260K got us a 10 year old 2700 sqft house in good shape a decent neighborhood. Should find that to be the case in most of the surrounding areas, but inside of Charlotte itself it'll be more expensive. I'm in Iredell county in Mooresville, its a nice and "rural" feeling county, but Mooresville is a decent sized town with basically anything you could ask for. Very gun friendly county, one of the highest percentages of CCW permits by population in the state IIRC.

2. commuting: work place is north of downtown by the 485. Is it going to take me an hour to get to work if I buy a place in the $300k range? Yeah, unless you find a house close to work, you're looking at 45-1hr on good days. They're working on adding some more (toll) lanes to 77, and when those open it should help the traffic some. 

3. gun laws: I have pretty much all the NFA fun stuff outside of MGs and SBSs...any issues with such things in NC? I can already CC there with my FL permit...but any hassles with CC? We're pretty NFA friendly from my experience, I've got suppressors and SBRs. No issue at all with CC from the local LEOs in my county, if you're in Meck prepare for 3-6 month waits for things like appointments for CCW applications, renewals, etc. For comparison my county turned my renewal around in two weeks, when it was supposed to e something like 12 weeks. The few times I've been stopped carrying in the state the cops both wanted to chat about the gun I had on, one of them had the model I was carrying that day on preorder and wanted to know how I liked it.

4. taxes: what am I in for, especially regarding income and property taxes? Presuming married/joint filing and $150k+ of income and a house in the budget above. We pay about 2$500 a year for the house, can't really comment on the income stuff, its different every year due to our situation (self employed and small business stuff). 

5. places to shoot: out here we have land owned by lumber/paper companies that we can shoot on, among other places. I have to drive about 30 mins to get to them, but they are there and using the area is free. How difficult is it to find rural locations to shoot in NC? Worst part about this region. You can't just drive out into the woods to shoot like you can on the other side of the country. Basically all property around here is privately owned or a park, even when youre in the mountians. There are some decent outdoor ranges in the area, many of them private. The one I belong to isn't hard to join though and relatively inexpensive, if you move down I'll send you info. Tons of indoor ranges in the area. 
View Quote
Hey, see above and feel free to ask any other questions. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You can carry concealed with a non-resident FL permit; but cant use the FL permit for pistol purchases.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! Couple other questions:

1. Vehicles: is there any escaping this vehicle inspection / smog check nonsense? Out here, it only applies if you live in certain cities / counties. Any dukes of hazard style county-line escape possible or is it all state wide? How much $$$$$ for tabs? flat rate or % of vehicle value? My state does the former now, but it used to be the % of value thing and that BLEW.

2. City/county imposed nonsense: out here, if you live outside of city limits or certain counties, there is much less gov BS. For example, I'm just inside Vancouver city limits. If I want to build a garden shed on my property, I have to design it within certain compliance parameters, submit for a permit, pay the city, and beg/grovel just to use my 'own' land. If I lived 1 mile NE of my current location away I could put up any shed I want without asking/informing anyone of anything. I also can't ride my bike down my suburban street without a helmet on (legally anyway)...but again, if I was 1 mile further out there would be zero rules about it.

It's pretty normal for cities, especially larger ones, to have way more rules than the rural (and some suburban) areas. Where would I live if I wanted to avoid such annoyances? Based on the Meck CC permit wait time comments alone, that sounds like a county not to live in. The potential work place is within 200ft of the city limits line, so living outside of the city limits is no problem, but living outside the county is extending commutes. How about an area like Harrisburg? Looks like it's across the county line conveniently located near the 485? How slow moving is the 485 during rush hour? With this job I'd likely be stuck working normal biz hours...

3. My wife does back office healthcare work (deals with workmans comp claims currently). Lots of healthcare-related jobs in the area? The city is a little bigger than Portland, so I presume so?

4. How much flak will I catch for being a Raiders/Lakers fan that doesn't care about NASCAR?

5. Hurricanes: not a fan of them. I know you guys get nailed from time to time (hugo?), but how significant of a threat is it there?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it! Couple other questions:

1. Vehicles: is there any escaping this vehicle inspection / smog check nonsense? Out here, it only applies if you live in certain cities / counties. Any dukes of hazard style county-line escape possible or is it all state wide? How much $$$ for tabs? flat rate or % of vehicle value? My state does the former now, but it used to be the % of value thing and that BLEW. Not currently, we've tried to repeal it in the past and it didn't work out. Only a $30 inspection once a year though, its not bad. 

2. City/county imposed nonsense: out here, if you live outside of city limits or certain counties, there is much less gov BS. For example, I'm just inside Vancouver city limits. If I want to build a garden shed on my property, I have to design it within certain compliance parameters, submit for a permit, pay the city, and beg/grovel just to use my 'own' land. If I lived 1 mile NE of my current location away I could put up any shed I want without asking/informing anyone of anything. I also can't ride my bike down my suburban street without a helmet on (legally anyway)...but again, if I was 1 mile further out there would be zero rules about it. Yes, typically outside of city/town limits, you can do what you want with your property, long as it isn't a HOA. Some towns have more rules than others. 

It's pretty normal for cities, especially larger ones, to have way more rules than the rural (and some suburban) areas. Where would I live if I wanted to avoid such annoyances? Based on the Meck CC permit wait time comments alone, that sounds like a county not to live in. The potential work place is within 200ft of the city limits line, so living outside of the city limits is no problem, but living outside the county is extending commutes. How about an area like Harrisburg? Looks like it's across the county line conveniently located near the 485? How slow moving is the 485 during rush hour? With this job I'd likely be stuck working normal biz hours... I don't know much about Harrisburg, but yes, I'd be looking in that whole northeast quadrant above 485 (again, I already live up there in Mooresville). 485 in that area isn't terrible, its really only bad once you get on the other side south of the airport. 77 is pretty bad if you have to get on it. I know Iredell county is good for 2A, and I'm sure Cabarrus is better than Meck, but I don't have any info. 

3. My wife does back office healthcare work (deals with workmans comp claims currently). Lots of healthcare-related jobs in the area? The city is a little bigger than Portland, so I presume so? Yep, lots of healthcare in the area.

4. How much flak will I catch for being a Raiders/Lakers fan that doesn't care about NASCAR? Meh, I don't care about NASCAR either, and I'm from here.  

5. Hurricanes: not a fan of them. I know you guys get nailed from time to time (hugo?), but how significant of a threat is it there? Around Charlotte, not a big worry. I'd say a tropical storm makes its way this far in about every 5 years or so, which is just rain and a little wind. Hugo was supposed to be a "100" or "500" year hurricane. We do get some pretty impressive thunderstorms sometimes with small tornadoes, but they rarely do any damage besides to trees.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Hurricanes: yeah, it is nice that there tends to be some warning. Also nice that Charlotte isn't right on the coast where there tends to be the most death/destruction. We've been spoiled in the area I live in now in that it might have the mildest weather in the nation. Never very hot , never very cold, very little ice/snow, and our last big storm was in 1962. It's just gray and drizzling for 9 months per year.

vehicle inspections: bummer. Well, every state has something about it that is annoying I suppose.

HOAs: just how prevalent are they in that area? There are some in my neck of the woods, but it's not as common as it is in some other parts of the country. Pretty much just the 'rich people' subdivisions here. Personally, I will never live in a HOA place...so if 90% of 'hoods in the area have them, it might be a problem.

Trees: every city has urban sprawl / redevelopment these days...but I come from the land of big mountains and big trees. How far out of town do I have to be to have some decent trees around? if I want to hike in the mountains, what kinda drive am I looking at?

Kayaking: my wife and I kayak from time to time. Not white water or ocean kayaking, just lakes mostly. It's usually best when there's not a bazillion jet skis and fast moving boats flying around. Any nearby peaceful bodies of water that are viable options? Lake Norman looks nice. Are there sections that are off limits to motor boats or at least less-traveled by them?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hurricanes: yeah, it is nice that there tends to be some warning. Also nice that Charlotte isn't right on the coast where there tends to be the most death/destruction. We've been spoiled in the area I live in now in that it might have the mildest weather in the nation. Never very hot , never very cold, very little ice/snow, and our last big storm was in 1962. It's just gray and drizzling for 9 months per year.

vehicle inspections: bummer. Well, every state has something about it that is annoying I suppose.

HOAs: just how prevalent are they in that area? There are some in my neck of the woods, but it's not as common as it is in some other parts of the country. Pretty much just the 'rich people' subdivisions here. Personally, I will never live in a HOA place...so if 90% of 'hoods in the area have them, it might be a problem. Just depends on where you want to be. You definitely don't have to be in a HOA, those are just typically your newer neighborhoods. (my HOA has been fine so far, no issues, but I understand why you wouldnt want one). 

Trees: every city has urban sprawl / redevelopment these days...but I come from the land of big mountains and big trees. How far out of town do I have to be to have some decent trees around? if I want to hike in the mountains, what kinda drive am I looking at? Trees are everywhere. Decent hiking is within 30 minutes to an hour at several State Parks, mountains in about 1.75 hours. One of the things I love about this area. I'm a pretty avid hiker. 

Kayaking: my wife and I kayak from time to time. Not white water or ocean kayaking, just lakes mostly. It's usually best when there's not a bazillion jet skis and fast moving boats flying around. Any nearby peaceful bodies of water that are viable options? Lake Norman looks nice. Are there sections that are off limits to motor boats or at least less-traveled by them? There's some places on Lake Norman you can easily kayak (the Lake Norman State Park) and during the week almost anywhere on the lake. I probably wouldn't even attempt it on the weekends unless its at the Lake Norman State Park though. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good on the nature front...not so great on the HOA front. Gonna have to watch out for that. I know in some parts of the country you can't buy a new house in the burbs without one, it's pretty much standard. I don't need a new house, that's definitely not a requirement (current place is a POS built in 1968), but the entire concept of HOAs is repulsive. Can't do it. My realtor will have their work cut out for them. If I move I'm definitely just going to get an apartment near work at first to give me time to settle in, learn the area etc. before I buy. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and housing bubble 2 will burst by then.

A lot of cities in the East and SE get more rain than WA (my town gets 30% less rain than Miami...), and you're right about the concentration. It's generally just a drizzle here, but it lasts for 9 months. lol

Thanks much for the info guys, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]
One last thing: let's say I manage to land even more income...how close to Charlotte could one get and still have sufficient land to have their own range? Nothing crazy, I'm talking like 50 yards. It really is my dream in life to be able to shoot (legally, safely etc.) in my own back yard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One last thing: let's say I manage to land even more income...how close to Charlotte could one get and still have sufficient land to have their own range? Nothing crazy, I'm talking like 50 yards. It really is my dream in life to be able to shoot (legally, safely etc.) in my own back yard.
View Quote
I'd think there would be plenty of opportunities in the surrounding counties to find a lot with enough acres to do so. I picked a random spot in the rural areas near Harrisburg, and did a google map to the 485/77 interchange, and you're looking at about 30 miles, so maybe an hour or so with traffic. 

I would assume that as long as you're outside of a town limit, and have enough distance between where youre shooting and nearby structures, you'll be fine, but before you buy I'd contact the local county sheriff and ask them. Not that they're an encyclopedia of laws, but their reaction will let you know what to expect. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll send you my address...so you can make sure you find a place within 30 min of my house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll send you my address...so you can make sure you find a place within 30 min of my house.
And don't forget me too in that 30 min circle.  

OP, I'm in the Mint Hill area of Charlotte.  Not in the area you are looking for unfortunately.  I do have a couple of brand new apartment communities in the Huntersville area (full of HOAs).
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, all of the house-location searching is very preliminary for now. Like I was saying to BW, my basic plan is to find an apt that is very close to work and live there for at least 6 months before I really start my home search. That'd give me time to get my current house sold, get the wife moved out, pile everything into a storage unit, get the wife job hunting, deal with all my licensing/vehicle non-sense, and of course, pour a ton of hours of work into my new job. It's possible that my wife will find a gig on the SW side of town and we'll end up living some place completely different than what I'm currently thinking might be a good idea. Or maybe with eyes-on I'll decide that what sounds good from afar really isn't the right place for us. Ya never know until ya get boots on the ground. :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep, that's always the best course of action going to a new area. Much better to deal with apartment life and get a feel for the area than buy a house only to find you like another area better 3 months later. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
There may be some downsides to living in NC...but one thing I am definitely excited about is the opportunity to buy/own SBSs and MGs...both of which are totally banned here in WA (unless you're an agent of the gov or a manufacturer of weapons for the gov). That would be pretty cool. Every time I open my safe, my S12 asks me why I haven't SBS'd it yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw a bunch of those on zillow...seem new/nice, close to work, and not insanely priced. What's wrong with them?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw a bunch of those on zillow...seem new/nice, close to work, and not insanely priced. What's wrong with them?
View Quote
You don't want to live near Northlake. Too close proximity to not great neighborhoods. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Gotcha. If it was just me, and a temp thing until I buy a house I wouldn't care....but I don't need the wife getting attacked by thugs so, yeah, I'll pass! How far away from work am I gonna have to go to find a (relatively) safe apartment complex?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'd like to think there are many options off exit 23 & 25.

The Northlake area has plenty nice, new complexes, but they're too close to the mall and allow bus/foot traffic too easily.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha. If it was just me, and a temp thing until I buy a house I wouldn't care....but I don't need the wife getting attacked by thugs so, yeah, I'll pass! How far away from work am I gonna have to go to find a (relatively) safe apartment complex?
I'd like to think there are many options off exit 23 & 25.

The Northlake area has plenty nice, new complexes, but they're too close to the mall and allow bus/foot traffic too easily.
I'd be at 25. There's a nice open air mall thing called Birkdale there that your wife will like. Good dining options, etc. Not too far up 77, you'll have traffic in the mornings but only about 3 or 4 miles of it until you hit 485. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Silver Collection at The Park is nice.  So is Waterford at The Park.  

Holly Crest apartments is a nice community as well but I never said that out loud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top