Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2017 11:03:18 AM EDT
Hi!

The wife and I are going to be in Rutherfordton for a few days, and was wondering if there were any good gun shops in the area.  By good, I mean they are more "military/tactically" oriented.  I like anything military from C&R up to MGs!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing exactly like what you may be looking for, but Butler's Pawn does a lot of gun business and has a little bit of everything. Pretty slim pickings other than that, but the guys at Butlers are good people.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that I've heard of.  If you don't mind driving another hour head to Palmetto State in Greenville.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that I've heard of.  If you don't mind driving another hour head to Palmetto State in Greenville.
View Quote
Thanks for the replies.  Driving around today, I did see a local guy with a sign out advertising AR parts.  I will see what that is about, as well as check out the other leads.

I would love to drive down to PS in Greenville.  Buying an upper or two at retail would be ironic, as they refuse to sell ANY AR parts mail order to CT.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are looking for something to do in general, head over to Lake Lure/Chimney Rock area. Nice trails, some little shops, rent a kayak and paddle around, antique shops, things like that.  Theres a member here who's parents own one of the bigger restaurants there at the lake.

I live about 40 minutes away (Shelby area) but my wife and I go up there quite often.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are looking for something to do in general, head over to Lake Lure/Chimney Rock area. Nice trails, some little shops, rent a kayak and paddle around, antique shops, things like that.  Theres a member here who's parents own one of the bigger restaurants there at the lake.

I live about 40 minutes away (Shelby area) but my wife and I go up there quite often.
View Quote
We took a ride up 64 through Lake Lure today.  Really nice, but the roads were a bit of a shock to a flat-lander like myself.  We drove all over, and wound up eating lunch at the Hare and Hound in Landrum SC (never made it to PSA)  Of course, the wife is into horses, so we wound up at the Tryon Int Equestrian Center.  Wish I had some of that money as a gun budget!

It is funny.  I spent much of my life in VT and NH.  It is extremely similar terrain here as there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We took a ride up 64 through Lake Lure today.  Really nice, but the roads were a bit of a shock to a flat-lander like myself.  We drove all over, and wound up eating lunch at the Hare and Hound in Landrum SC (never made it to PSA)  Of course, the wife is into horses, so we wound up at the Tryon Int Equestrian Center.  Wish I had some of that money as a gun budget!

It is funny.  I spent much of my life in VT and NH.  It is extremely similar terrain here as there.
View Quote
We ate at the Hare and the Hound last February on Valentines Day.  We just so happened to be traveling from Tryon to Landrum looking at antique shops.  All the antique shops in that area have tons of horse stuff, and seems even the shittiest house around there has horses.

Whats weird is I went to HS about an hour away from that area, but oddly enough saw the brother of a guy who I went to High School with there working as a waiter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We ate at the Hare and the Hound last February on Valentines Day.  We just so happened to be traveling from Tryon to Landrum looking at antique shops.  All the antique shops in that area have tons of horse stuff, and seems even the shittiest house around there has horses.

Whats weird is I went to HS about an hour away from that area, but oddly enough saw the brother of a guy who I went to High School with there working as a waiter.
View Quote
I think any small town "Main Street" area, that has survived the attack of the shopping mall/big box store, looks almost identical to Tryon and Landrum. I have seen streets in CT, VT, NH, and PA that look just like them.  Just how many antique stores can there be?
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think any small town "Main Street" area, that has survived the attack of the shopping mall/big box store, looks almost identical to Tryon and Landrum. I have seen streets in CT, VT, NH, and PA that look just like them.  Just how many antique stores can there be?
View Quote
There's not a bunch anymore.  Tryon has 2, and Landrum had 3.  The one on the opposite side of the street as the hair and the hound had some cool stuff.

We are heading to Charleston in June and it looks to have 20-30.  It all started with me collecting a few pieces of Vaseline glass, and now my wife has branched out into about everything.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's not a bunch anymore.  Tryon has 2, and Landrum had 3.  The one on the opposite side of the street as the hair and the hound had some cool stuff.

We are heading to Charleston in June and it looks to have 20-30.  It all started with me collecting a few pieces of Vaseline glass, and now my wife has branched out into about everything.
View Quote
It is amazing how something will trigger the collecting bug!

We went to the Biltmore Estate today.  Bit of sticker shock at the price of admission.  But, once inside, it was worth the price.  Hard to imagine people actually lived/live like that. Shame it went from 125,000 acres to "only" 8000!  Why couldn't I have been born rich, instead of stupid and lazy!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is amazing how something will trigger the collecting bug!

We went to the Biltmore Estate today.  Bit of sticker shock at the price of admission.  But, once inside, it was worth the price.  Hard to imagine people actually lived/live like that. Shame it went from 125,000 acres to "only" 8000!  Why couldn't I have been born rich, instead of stupid and lazy!
View Quote
I've went in 00 when I was 20 and first started dating my wife.  We paid $30 I think to get in, then another 20 for the roof top tour, which was neat but windy.  At least they had the sense to build in firewalls when they built the house.  We went again in 05 for the Christmas decorations deal, but as far as I can recall it was pretty much just a bunch of poinsettias.

Some of the end shots of Hannibal were filmed around the estate and the exterior was supposed to be the disfigured guys house.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, it was $75 + tax each, with no extras.  My military ID got it down to $10 each, but still up there.

I bet George Vanderbilt  would roll over in his grave if he knew his house was open to the public
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, took a ride down to PSA in Greenville.  Nice to shop in a free state!  Drooled over the racks of black rifles!  Bought some parts and 10 round mags
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top