Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2017 7:20:07 AM EDT
Hey guys. I'm visiting NC in a few weeks with the family, and I've read the law and write-up by handgunlaws.us, but I have a few questions for clarification.

Upon our trip, we have a few stops planned that I know about so far.

Am I ok to leave my gun locked in the car:
1) In a school parking lot. I've been told the birthday party instructs us to park in a school lot and get in a limo. From what I understand, this is acceptable.
2) Historic state property? We plan on going to Battleship NC. I can't find any clarification on this.
3) Aquarium at Fort Fischer?

I'm coming from a state where your vehicle is sacred private space, but I don't get that's the feeling reading the NC code.

Also, what about hotels? Do I have to leave it in the car, or can I take it into my room?

I would like to keep it on me during the trip, since we will be doing night driving, and I am trying to evaluate if I'm willing or able to comply with the laws and bring it with me.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys. I'm visiting NC in a few weeks with the family, and I've read the law and write-up by handgunlaws.us, but I have a few questions for clarification.

Upon our trip, we have a few stops planned that I know about so far.

Am I ok to leave my gun locked in the car:
1) In a school parking lot. I've been told the birthday party instructs us to park in a school lot and get in a limo. From what I understand, this is acceptable. This is fine to do. Legally, it has to be in the glove compartment or another compartment attached to the vehicle such as a center console.
2) Historic state property? We plan on going to Battleship NC. I can't find any clarification on this. I don't think the battleship is posted. There is nothing regarding historic sites that prevents you from carrying unless they are posted.
3) Aquarium at Fort Fischer? Posted. There are no metal detectors. The previous two sentences are completely unrelated to each other. Just providing all of the facts.

I'm coming from a state where your vehicle is sacred private space, but I don't get that's the feeling reading the NC code.

Also, what about hotels? Do I have to leave it in the car, or can I take it into my room? Bring it in.

I would like to keep it on me during the trip, since we will be doing night driving, and I am trying to evaluate if I'm willing or able to comply with the laws and bring it with me.

Thanks guys
View Quote
Specific answers in red, but you should have no problem carrying. If in doubt, just leave it in the car.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]
As all of your questions have been answered, all I can add is have fun!
Wilmington is a great city, and the Battleship and Aquarium are both fun to visit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the quick replies. I feel much better knowing things should go smoothly.

I haven't been down there in about 10 years, but my grandparents have a house on Wrightsville Beach, so its going to be fun showing my wife and kids where I visited when I was a kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top