Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2017 11:46:22 PM EDT
So I find myself with four days on the Outer Banks next week, camping, just me, a jeep and a dog.  So I thought I would check with my carolina brethren for any suggestions for my time out there.

I'd like to do some surf fishing, is it really worth it at the end of march?

Where are the best places to get off pavement, it's been YEARS since I was last out there, and I know the ORV areas and rules have changed.  
What can I do out there that will allow me to take my dog (small, 12 pound shaggy ankle destroyer) as leaving her in the car whilst I go doing things is just not cool.

Anyway, unlike my many previous trips, I'll be staying farther north, camping in Kitty Hawk this time.  

Maybe I'll run up to Carova and see the horses.  I'd like to head down to Hatteras island and drive the shore there, and visit Ocracoke as well.  

But, any ideas if you guys have been out there more recently than I?  I fully expect the place to be quite different than the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Still a great place but sadly like everywhere else it is more and more crowded. I pretty sure you have to get a permit now and then only at certain times to actually drive on the beach. As I understand it you must have the means (air compressor or air tank) to air up tires before you get back on HWY 12. If you want to do that I'd check NOW to see about permitting. Be sure to do Stack Em High for breakfast and check out Jeanette's Pier while in Kitty Hawk.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still a great place but sadly like everywhere else it is more and more crowded. I pretty sure you have to get a permit now and then only at certain times to actually drive on the beach. As I understand it you must have the means (air compressor or air tank) to air up tires before you get back on HWY 12. If you want to do that I'd check NOW to see about permitting. Be sure to do Stack Em High for breakfast and check out Jeanette's Pier while in Kitty Hawk.
View Quote
I know you can still drive on the beach north of Corolla, the beach to Carova is still technically Highway 12, oddly enough.  The permits are necessary for just about everywhere else though because it's technically a national park.  I already have the necessaries so that's not an issue, I just need to go ahead and get the permit (or see if the local permit locations will be open when I get there).

Plus a stupid saltwater fishing license... that's just fucked up to need one.  

The Pier would be nice, I enjoy pier fishing, I'll have to see if I can bring the dog out with me though.

I know what you mean about the crowds.  We usually go to Sunset because we have a house there (well, it's my parents house).  It gets crowded in the summer (more than it used to) but still not as bad as Myrtle Beach gets :/.  Oh well, I'm only there really for three days, so won't be able to do much, but it's good to have options.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got back today.  I think beach driving is open on the entire shore as of now, but you have to buy your pass from the coresponding lighthouse.  Got mine at Bodie lighthouse, and from what I understand it only covered south of Bodie, which kind of sucked because the beach seemed more narrow down past Rodanthe, as in dune, 5ft of surface, a 3 foot drop, then water.  Everywhere north I looked at the damn beach was 50 yard wide.

It is not crowded at all right now, especially south past Rodanthe and further down.  Weather sucked for us until yesterday after 6 days of cold.   Avoid goimg to Ocacroke Island cause the ferry ride is an hour long, and if it gets busier, you'll be waiting to catch another  ferry if the current one fills up, which will then put you back another hour.  Plus there's nothing on Ocacroke really anyways.

We did the Carnova thing to see the horses but didn't see a damn one. It's still so odd seeing houses built on dunes with no roads that its worth it.

Be prepared to drive a lot if you go out of kitty hawk, nags head area.  Also a neat little Rum distillery in Manteo you can take a tour of at 1 in the afternoon if the weather turns to shit.

As recommended, Stack em High is awesome, Sam and Omie's across from Jenette's Pier is great, and Dirty Dick's was pretty damn good too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for that. I'm actually headed out there next week. I'll be starting on the south end though camping Cape Lookout, then catching the ferries northbound from Cedar Island.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Cape Lookout is awesome, been going to the banks on and off since the 70's but actually ferried over to Lookout for the first in 2016.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I find myself with four days on the Outer Banks next week, camping, just me, a jeep and a dog.  So I thought I would check with my carolina brethren for any suggestions for my time out there.

I'd like to do some surf fishing, is it really worth it at the end of march?

Where are the best places to get off pavement, it's been YEARS since I was last out there, and I know the ORV areas and rules have changed.  
What can I do out there that will allow me to take my dog (small, 12 pound shaggy ankle destroyer) as leaving her in the car whilst I go doing things is just not cool.

Anyway, unlike my many previous trips, I'll be staying farther north, camping in Kitty Hawk this time.  

Maybe I'll run up to Carova and see the horses.  I'd like to head down to Hatteras island and drive the shore there, and visit Ocracoke as well.  

But, any ideas if you guys have been out there more recently than I?  I fully expect the place to be quite different than the last time I was there.
View Quote

A terrible day fishing beats the best day at the office.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
AAR:  Had a great 4 days out on the Outer Banks, just me, a dog, a tent, hammock and some fishing gear.  Arrived thursday, set up camp at Adventure Bound in KDH, had the whole place to myself, it was great.  Spent that afternoon and evening checking things out north, all the way to the Virginia Border.  I dallied along the way, though, and caught myself having to race the tide back south to where the pavement on 12 ends in Corolla.  But fun way to spend the afternoon and evening.

Friday was shitty and rainy, so we just drove around all day, me and the dag, visited Bodie Island and Hatteras lighthouses.  Started to take the ferry to Ocracoke, because I had nothing better to do, then decided I'd rather get a good sandwich, so found a place called Hatterasman in Hatteras (LINK if you have the Book of Faces) and had a terrific grouper sandwich with some incredibly good fries and tea.  It's a great little shack, and supports veterans causes, it's worth the dime.

Saturday I spent the whole day driving the National Seashore and fishing down on the point at Hatteras.  Just me, the dag, beach, and some cut bait that did nothing but feed the crabs, but it was a great time, and I drove the beaches as much as I could, and explored some 4wd access on the sound side as well, checked out a couple abandoned lifesaving stations that were built in the late 1800s.  

Sunday, packed up and headed home.  Sadly...

I used to camp and fish out there at least 3 or 4 times a year, when I was younger, this was my first visit to the Outer Banks in well over a decade.  I was surprised at how much it remains the same, even though it's still changed quite a bit.  Still one of my favorite places to go.  It'll be interesting to see how that bridge works out at Oregon Inlet...
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AAR:  Had a great 4 days out on the Outer Banks, just me, a dog, a tent, hammock and some fishing gear.  Arrived thursday, set up camp at Adventure Bound in KDH, had the whole place to myself, it was great.  Spent that afternoon and evening checking things out north, all the way to the Virginia Border.  I dallied along the way, though, and caught myself having to race the tide back south to where the pavement on 12 ends in Corolla.  But fun way to spend the afternoon and evening.

Friday was shitty and rainy, so we just drove around all day, me and the dag, visited Bodie Island and Hatteras lighthouses.  Started to take the ferry to Ocracoke, because I had nothing better to do, then decided I'd rather get a good sandwich, so found a place called Hatterasman in Hatteras (LINK if you have the Book of Faces) and had a terrific grouper sandwich with some incredibly good fries and tea.  It's a great little shack, and supports veterans causes, it's worth the dime.

Saturday I spent the whole day driving the National Seashore and fishing down on the point at Hatteras.  Just me, the dag, beach, and some cut bait that did nothing but feed the crabs, but it was a great time, and I drove the beaches as much as I could, and explored some 4wd access on the sound side as well, checked out a couple abandoned lifesaving stations that were built in the late 1800s.  

Sunday, packed up and headed home.  Sadly...

I used to camp and fish out there at least 3 or 4 times a year, when I was younger, this was my first visit to the Outer Banks in well over a decade.  I was surprised at how much it remains the same, even though it's still changed quite a bit.  Still one of my favorite places to go.  It'll be interesting to see how that bridge works out at Oregon Inlet...
View Quote
I enjoyed it too. You went to a couple of the places we did, cept we had shittier weather. I miss it already and plan on going back again, except this time a little later so its warmer.

We've booked our next trip in June to Charleston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top