Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2017 6:30:04 PM EDT
Sirs,

I am thinking of purchasing a plain (no Sig-brace on the buffer) AR-15 pistol (I am a CCW Holder) and needed some answers or just simple clarification(s).

First, in trying to read through some of NC's firearms laws, are a pistol and handgun referring to one and the same?  I know that this seems minor, but misunderstanding legal jargon will not hold any weight for a citizen standing tall in front of the man.  Ignorance of the law is a poor excuse or worse yet, none at all.

Second, if a handgun and pistol are the same, then an AR-15 pistol should be good to go in being concealed in your vehicle (with a CCW) , just like a standard Springfield XDS handgun/pistol, correct?

Third, I would like to purchase an AR-15 pistol lower that is already built for that purpose.  Are there any restrictions on the upper receiver's barrel length?  Is a 7.5 better than an 8.5 or so forth or is this just a manner of taste?  What is recommended or does this matter?  

Thank you for your time and for any information that can be provided.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
AR pistol counts as a pistol, and follows laws as a handgun

You can find a ton more info in the AR pistol variant section HERE
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#3]
And the Shockwave brace combined with the Law Folding adapter is the tit's. I am running a 10.3 inch with the above mentioned and carry it in a small day pack.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And the Shockwave brace combined with the Law Folding adapter is the tit's. I am running a 10.3 inch with the above mentioned and carry it in a small day pack.
View Quote

I just put a pistol together this week with a shockwave. I've been going back and forth on the law fodder.  How bout some pics
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Been planning on building a 10.3" AR pistol for just that reason only since I can't keep a rifle loaded and concealed in a vehicle.  A 10.3" will still be using a carbine length gas system where anything shorter is going to require a pistol length.  Added to that I've got lots experience with the 10.3" from Uncle.

CD
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First...if you're worried about jargon, then it needs to be pointed out you don't have a CCW. NC issues CHPs.

View Quote

HA!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Are y'all using a muzzle device like the claymore or STD?

If so does it significantly help the blast and pain of the short barrel AR?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know the legal difference between a "handgun" and ar "pistol?" I have heard both sides of the story on legality of an ar pistol being concealed in a vehicle or in a bag/pack, and don't know where the law stands.

The argument, from what I understand, is that an ar "pistol" is a rifle platform that was arranged as a pistol to skirt around it being classified as a rifle. This changes the intent of the weapon, as the rifle wasn't "designed" to be configured or fired in such manner. Any clarification? Or is that too much legal jargon for anyone but a legit attorney?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone know the legal difference between a "handgun" and ar "pistol?" I have heard both sides of the story on legality of an ar pistol being concealed in a vehicle or in a bag/pack, and don't know where the law stands.

The argument, from what I understand, is that an ar "pistol" is a rifle platform that was arranged as a pistol to skirt around it being classified as a rifle. This changes the intent of the weapon, as the rifle wasn't "designed" to be configured or fired in such manner. Any clarification? Or is that too much legal jargon for anyone but a legit attorney?
View Quote
For the purpose of firearms laws and carry in North Carolina handgun and pistol are the same thing. It's pretty cut and dry.

Article 53B  Firearm Regulation
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Second, there's no such thing as a "pistol lower". All lowers are considered "other firearms", whether they're stripped or built, with or without a stock. You can build an AR pistol out of any virgin lower you'd buy...
View Quote
While this correct and how things "should be", I did buy a lower that the FFL listed as a "handgun", not an "other firearm", on the 4473. Not what I would have preferred, but that's what the FFL did, presumably because I told him it was for a pistol build. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The true difference in the definition is a handgun is a weapon designed to be fired one-handed, or without support on the shoulder.

A pistol is a sub-category of handgun, which is semi-automatic.

A revolver is another sub-category of handgun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The true difference in the definition is a handgun is a weapon designed to be fired one-handed, or without support on the shoulder.

View Quote
Again, for legal references in NC there is no difference.  All of the  revolver, semi-auto etc monikers aren't standard definitions otherwise how would you explain dueling pistols? Don't think many were semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks, that is pretty much the clarification I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, that is pretty much the clarification I was looking for.
View Quote
Sorry that I muddied the waters. I thought you were looking for legal definitions as in NC statues.

My bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top