Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 12:07:13 AM EDT
Might be heading down that way this weekend. Anyplace I should be aware of not to go? Any good hotels and eats around the area? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope you enjoy street musicians, like I do.

Pack extra money, everything is high there, people included.

Everything you do eat or order will probably be organic, granola crap. Hell they even screwed up my hot chocolate order by putting chai tea inside of it...

In short, skip Asheville and go to Lexington for BBQ.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay far far away from the chain restaurants and you will be fine.  Want good down east BBQ without traveling to the flatlands?  Buxton Hall is your place.  The guy that opened it is some kind of James Beard award super chef and their fried chicken sandwich supposedly won some award for best in the southeast..  You also have the added bonus of Vortex doughnuts and Catawba brewery next door.  Grove Park Inn's Edison has an out of this world grilled cheese sandwich.

If you like breweries, this is your town, too many to list and they run the gamut from small (Catawba) to large (Sierra Nevada & New Belgium).  Don't feel like doing all the Brewery Tours, go to Pour Taproom in Biltmore village and sample them all in one stop.

River arts district is kinda neat and touristy as is a good portion of downtown.  Biltmore Estate is a waste of time and money IMHO.  The food there is good but not for the prices they charge.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You will get an education on what a liberal-ruled society is like.

I was bummed to have to move from there in '93. Today, not so much.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]
They have a craft beer tour that is supposed to be good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't have a lot of time. I am picking up a 1967 mustang for my nephew who is in the Air Force. He has saved all his money since being in and found it. He just got back from deployment. He is in California so no way he can get it. I told him no problem I will take care of it. So I got about a 6 hour time frame to check things out. Any decent hotels there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't have a lot of time. I am picking up a 1967 mustang for my nephew who is in the Air Force. He has saved all his money since being in and found it. He just got back from deployment. He is in California so no way he can get it. I told him no problem I will take care of it. So I got about a 6 hour time frame to check things out. Any decent hotels there?
View Quote

Aloft is pricey, but you'll be in the heart of downtown and walking distance to to some top-notch restaurants like Local Provisions, Chestnut, and one of my new favorites, White Duck Tacos.  If you want something a touch cheaper, Hotel Indigo is nice and is still well within walking distance to places like Grove Arcade.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Hotel Indigo is a posted "gun-free zone".
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought hotels was an extension of your domicile and exempt from being posted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I like downtown Ashville, good food and stuff to do.  Wicked Weed is good to go for food and drink.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd avoid Sodom er Asheville personally, worked on Lexington Ave which is dead center downtown for years. One of the best days of my life moving out of Buncombe county. Several hotels on Brevard Road, stay there, make your pickup and roll on.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
High prices for food and some really strange people on foot in the downtown area. Liberal politics of course.

It ain't called the Paris of the south for nothing. The Obamas loved to vacation here.

But if this is not an issue, plenty of good eats everywhere. I believe they have a city ordinance requiring a "living wage" and this contributes to high food prices.

French Broad River chocolate lounge in the downtown area for sweets, coffee and cakes. Really expensive but good stuff.

Early Girl Cafe on Wall Street for breakfast and lunch. Expsensive but good. The wait staff are Indies ( high end hippies ).

Sunrise Cafe on Haywood Street. Good food but expensive and a leader in the garden to table movement in the area.

Tupalo Cafe in two locations. Probably the best of all breakfast spots. If you can, try the one in the downtown area near Early Girl Cafe.

Three fine restaurants on Biltmore House campus.

I am leaving out many good places I know.  It is truly a unique place and that is not always a good thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Tupalo Cafe in two locations. Probably the best of all breakfast spots. If you can, try the one in the downtown area near Early Girl Cafe.
View Quote

I used to DJ at the bar next door on Saturday nights. I've seriously never eaten there but the place was always busy
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want prep'd food but don't want to do the restaurant thing, the Whole Foods just up out of the River Arts District on S Tunnel Road has a really good buffet, a pizza kitchen and the usual grocery store deli. There are also lots of tables to sit and eat your meal while you watch the wildlife.

It's not inexpensive, either, btw. Seeing a pattern here?
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
High prices for food and some really strange people on foot in the downtown area. Liberal politics of course.

It ain't called the Paris of the south for nothing. The Obamas loved to vacation here.

But if this is not an issue, plenty of good eats everywhere. I believe they have a city ordinance requiring a "living wage" and this contributes to high food prices.

French Broad River chocolate lounge in the downtown area for sweets, coffee and cakes. Really expensive but good stuff.

Early Girl Cafe on Wall Street for breakfast and lunch. Expensive but good. The wait staff are Indies ( high end hippies ).

Sunrise Cafe on Haywood Street. Good food but expensive and a leader in the garden to table movement in the area.

Three fine restaurants on Biltmore House campus.

I am leaving out many good places I know.  It is truly a unique place and that is not always a good thing.
View Quote

Asheville has no mandatory "living wage" but trust me the libs push that agenda every day. The prices are high because it's a tourist area.

Don't forget to wear your MAGA hat!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want to eat at a real Asheville restaurant, go to Little Pigs BBQ across from the high school.  Owning family is actually from BUncombe County- been there since the '60s.  Good, decent folks, whose politics don't reflect that of the city.  BBQ sauce is good, but it isn't an either or- it's a little tomato, and a little vinegar.  You'll buy some when you leave.  and the best hushpuppies EVAR.  

Other than that, I'd avoid downtown unless you can help it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
We are going in April for a few days, what are some good bars that are close to the indego and aloft?

Also is there other places anyone would recommend downtown?

Not sure were we are gonna stay but both look nice, we stayed in the Aloft in dallas and it was nice.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We are going in April for a few days, what are some good bars that are close to the indego and aloft?

Not sure were we are gonna stay but both look nice, we stayed in the Aloft in dallas and it was nice.
View Quote
Pack Taverns, Barleys, Asheville pizza and brewing are all really good places to eat or just have a drink.

If you do the tour of Sierra Nevada Brewing shoot me an IM, one of my former soldiers is head of security there and I'll see if I can't get you a special tour!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I used to DJ at the bar next door on Saturday nights. I've seriously never eaten there but the place was always busy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could just be me, but I've eaten twice at the Tupalo Cafe "downtown" and I've never been impressed. I wouldn't have gone back the second time except I was out voted by the rest of our party who insisted they had heard it was really great despite my protests otherwise.

No it wasn't the worst I've ever had, but it wasn't what it was hyped up to be. Especially for the price. The place was packed and the service was a bit chaotic to be kind. Slingin' hash came to mind.

Asheville has become one of those "places" that's far too popular now, nothing like the 'cool' place it was suppose to have been once upon a time. Just another tarted up touristy trap, doing it's best to separate you from your hard earned cash.

And yes I like beer, but after about the third 'brew pub' I'm burned out on the whole genre. And no, I'm not a huge fan of the 'majors' that have set up shop either.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pack Taverns, Barleys, Asheville pizza and brewing are all really good places to eat or just have a drink.

If you do the tour of Sierra Nevada Brewing shoot me an IM, one of my former soldiers is head of security there and I'll see if I can't get you a special tour!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be awesome thanks brother
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That would be awesome thanks brother
View Quote
No problem
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No problem
View Quote
Everything is a go, we are staying at the Indigo 17-19 april, what do I need to do to make contact with your buddy?

We plan on walking eating, and being drunk for 3 days
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Well we got the penthouse suite at the indigo for $187 a night, wife loved the room.

We had some afternoon sex  and just started drinking.

Not a bad place at all
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought hotels was an extension of your domicile and exempt from being posted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea I just smiled when we checked in with my CC gun on my hip
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Only sad thing is I forgot my MAGA hat

no issues so far, I have my Ranger hat with my old retired guy pins on it.

so far everyone has been friendly, had a little rain but it stopped so far so good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top