Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2017 10:01:30 AM EDT
My dad bought a table for the NRA Banquet in Hickory in February and I he gave me a ticket. Can anyone tell me what the dress code is and extra money i need to bring for auctions? My dad just said bring money whatever that means. Also do I need to be an NRA member. Mine expired and I haven't renewed yet which I can take care of pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Full disclosure - I am on the committee for the Greater Triangle Friends of NRA banquet. Each committee runs their banquet a little differently and I have not been to the Hickory event, but I can try to answer your questions through the filter of the event I participate in.

We don't have a dress code but most folks seem to fall in the casual/business casual category. You'll be there for a few hours so most importantly, be comfortable.  

As for money, it's a fund raiser, so bring what you feel comfortable donating to a good cause, IMO, while having a chance to win guns and gun stuff. Our event has a number of different ways to win prizes (mostly guns but other related merchandise too) like raffles, games and auctions.  Last year we had an African Safari up for auction that somebody got a really good deal on. Again, each event is different.

No, you absolutely do not need to be an NRA member. Everyone is welcome. I don't know if it's against CoC to post a link to the event I am a part of so I won't, but here is the main Friends of NRA website. https://www.friendsofnra.org

Hope this helps a little. Have a great time!

Nate
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't have to be a member of the NRA to attend.  Not really much of a dress code.....business casual maybe?  You definitely don't need to dress up very fancy.

As far as money, bring all you can afford to donate.  Look at every bit you spend as a donation to the NRA-ILA, and hope you win something with it.  There are lots of raffles for stuff, and for guns.  There are separate chances at guns that can be bought by buying squares on a board and they will draw the winning gun.  There is also a lot of stuff for auction typically.

I've been to a couple of the banquets when they were held at the Catawba Valley Wildlife Club, but the banquet just outgrew the facilities they had.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself!

ETA:  Someone more knowledgeable than I chimed in while I was typing, so it's good to see that we agree!  
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Point of clarity - none of the money goes to the NRA-ILA. Friends of NRA committees are 501(c)(3) charitable organizations.  As such, any and all politics is a no go.  All of the committee members are volunteers. After the event costs are covered, 100% of the net proceeds are donated like this:  Half of the net proceeds raised stay in NC and are used to fund grants, programs and projects in the state. The NRA foundation uses the other half to fund similar programs all around the country. Things like the Eddie Eagle program, Women on Target, hunter safety, etc.  This is all about promoting, supporting and growing the shooting sports, not about politics or policy. That's a different part of the NRA.

Nate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top