Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2017 4:51:16 PM EDT
I'm in the process of moving to the Jacksonville area.  Yesterday I was up to get a storage unit and lunch with a friend.  Long story short this friend husband purchased her a pistol for xmas. She called the gun store to let them know he submitted a ppm ? I think she said to the sheriffs office and he will pick it when he's back drill at the end of the month... so question I have if you have your ccw from NC you still have to obtain a pistol permit purchase to obtain another handgun or just pick up the weapon purchase it and just show ccw.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You just give them your driver license and carry permit and fill out a 4473.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks that is what i thought why i questioned her on it... Good to know its not like the dam northeast with permit than go back and add pistols afterwards
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#3]
For your friend either they don't have a Concealed Handgun Permit or they do and don't really know the law.  You do not need to require a PPP if you have a CHP.  One or the other is need to purchase a handgun in NC but not both.

CD
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for the replies...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thanks that is what i thought why i questioned her on it... Good to know its not like the dam northeast with permit than go back and add pistols afterwards
View Quote

There is no gun registration in NC.  The permit is not something you carry and have to show listing that firearm or firearms.  It is just a "permission slip" from the Sheriff which allows you to purchase a handgun.  When you purchase the handgun, the dealer keeps the permit.  And as was stated, if you have a NC CHP, you do not need to obtain a purchase permit.  It serves in lieu of.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Question on that, has anyone ever tried to take this to court and get that rubbish repealed? I used to live in GA and when I moved here it blew my mind that I had to get permission from Johnny law to buy a pistol. Anyone got any info of someone standing up to this kinda crap?
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Question on that, has anyone ever tried to take this to court and get that rubbish repealed? I used to live in GA and when I moved here it blew my mind that I had to get permission from Johnny law to buy a pistol. Anyone got any info of someone standing up to this kinda crap?
View Quote

It is put on the docket almost every year but the Sheriff's all get together and shoot it down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is put on the docket almost every year but the Sheriff's all get together and shoot it down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I've been told by a Republican Sheriff, the Democrats in the Association keep blocking it.  They want to keep the pistol permit system.  They outnumber the Republican Sheriffs apparently.  Grassroots NC has been fighting it year after year.  

Just my own personal opinion, they want control over being able to turn someone down for their own reasons.  My part time job involves traveling all over the state and interacting with different law enforcement agencies around 40 times a year.  Some areas of the state.....I think it's racism.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From what I've been told by a Republican Sheriff, the Democrats in the Association keep blocking it.  They want to keep the pistol permit system.  They outnumber the Republican Sheriffs apparently.  Grassroots NC has been fighting it year after year.  

Just my own personal opinion, they want control over being able to turn someone down for their own reasons.  My part time job involves traveling all over the state and interacting with different law enforcement agencies around 40 times a year.  Some areas of the state.....I think it's racism.
View Quote

I don't know, my Sheriff is pretty big on the permits and he's a republican. He's a good guy and likes his guns in general and wants people to have them, but like most of the sheriffs, they're all about the permit system.

I think it's more to do with government not wanting to let go of control... govt grows, and rarely shrinks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know, my Sheriff is pretty big on the permits and he's a republican. He's a good guy and likes his guns in general and wants people to have them, but like most of the sheriffs, they're all about the permit system.

I think it's more to do with government not wanting to let go of control... govt grows, and rarely shrinks.
View Quote

Is your sheriff a younger guy, or an older "old school" sheriff?  Most of the younger ones I have met would rather do away with the permit system and use that budget money on other things.  They prefer NICS take the place of it.   If it's an old school guy, again you have to wonder what his real motives are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top