Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2017 11:10:14 AM EDT
Has anyone looked at this Bill?  There appear to be quite a few problems with it that no one wants to address.

1. If you happen to live in a bad actor State, NY, NJ, HI etc where it can be next to impossible to obtain a permit, this does not allow you to obtain, say, a Utah Permit and carry in your home State.  

2. Nowhere in this Bill is D.C. covered.  You will not be able to carry in D.C. nor will residents of D.C. be covered under this Bill nor will residents of any Territories or Possessions.  

3. While there are provisions in the Bill to collect damages from bad actor States if their officers violate the law there is NO ability, in this Bill, to pierce sovereign immunity.  What this effectively means is that if you carry in NJ they can arrest you, toss you in jail for a couple of weeks and when you go to court the judge can say; well now Mr. Jones, you are correct, you shouldn't have been arrested, we're oh so sorry, but we don't like out of staters carrying in our fair State.  You're free to go, skeedaddle.  Meanwhile, you've lost your job, your car (which they impounded), your gun which if you think you'll ever see again you're dreaming and, oh, by the way, while in the courtroom, the prosecutor, judge and officer are protected by sovereign immunity and can say and do anything they want.  This Bill has no teeth.

I pointed out (to Mr. Hudson) that one simple fix for the reciprocity part is to simply write ".....any citizen of any State, Territory, Possession or the District of Columbia who possesses any valid permit to carry from any other State, Possession, Territory or the District of Columbia shall enjoy reciprocity with all States, Territories, Possessions and the District of Columbia.

Putting teeth in the law for bad actor States can be achieved by simply linking violations to Federal Funding.

Neither Mr. Hudson, the NRA nor any other group appear to have any interest in fixing this Bill before it passes, ensnares countless otherwise law abiding gun owners in its flaws and becomes a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If it passes as written then hopefully it's just a first step and will be amended and fixed soon.  It is a start although not as great as we had all hoped.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it passes as written then hopefully it's just a first step and will be amended and fixed soon.  It is a start although not as great as we had all hoped.
View Quote

First steps are fine unless you're the one who inadvertently gets caught up with spending time in jail simply because you thought National Reciprocity included D.C.  Why in the world wouldn't Rep. Hudson and the NRA, which used to be headquartered there, fix that glaring omission?  And why would they pass a Bill that would allow you to carry in States like Maryland but deny Maryland residents that right?  It defies all common sense and leaves tens of thousands at risk.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1. If you happen to live in a bad actor State, NY, NJ, HI etc where it can be next to impossible to obtain a permit, this does not allow you to obtain, say, a Utah Permit and carry in your home State.  
View Quote

I'm a little conflicted on this one. On one hand I think everyone should have the right to carry despite their state's objectionable laws/practices, but on the other hand I am cognizant of states' rights and a little leery of out of state permits. Of course one easy solution would be to overturn the legality of "may issue" and force all states to be "shall issue". I guess out of state permits issued to residents of "may issue" states would be OK, but I find it a little sketchy for someone in a "May issue" state to have an out of state permit and NOT their home state's (I know some people get both and that's not what I'm talking about).
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They said something similar about the FOPA Hughes Amendment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm a little conflicted on this one. On one hand I think everyone should have the right to carry despite their state's objectionable laws/practices, but on the other hand I am cognizant of states' rights and a little leery of out of state permits. Of course one easy solution would be to overturn the legality of "may issue" and force all states to be "shall issue". I guess out of state permits issued to residents of "may issue" states would be OK, but I find it a little sketchy for someone in a "May issue" state to have an out of state permit and NOT their home state's (I know some people get both and that's not what I'm talking about).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I live in a non=gun friendly state like NJ (my intent is to never make that mistake again) this doesn't change the state's laws and I can't carry?
But if I live in a state like NJ, get a permit from another state to carry... I can carry in NJ or does the national reciprocity law only apply to residents of the state issuing the permit, not the permit itself?
If I visit NJ this bill (if passed into law) covers me if I have a permit from another state? If not, what has this changed? Don't a lot of states have reciprocity anyway?

I also don't understand the idea of "first step? Why not get it right the first time so they don't have to waste time trying to slip in changes later.

I also have a hard time with state constitutions trumping the Bill of Rights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top