Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2016 9:12:38 AM EDT
Heading down from PA to visit a friend for the week. Will be on my own during the day and looking fir stuff to keep me busy. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
is he/she mil ?

Its a typical mil town.. i have a friend that lives there. I have spent many days visiting on my from fl back to NY driving and vs verse.

You have the beachs... a lot of nice places to eat/drink on the water...

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
He is down here for work. Figured i eat the hell out of some seafood. Check out the pawn shops.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Go check out guerilla armament in jacksonville
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Will do. Gonna do some shooting at Flatwoods on the weekend. We had to detour Maryland on the way down. Anything else let me know.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My folks have a beach place in Carteret(about 5 min down 24 HWY) so I've spent some time there. Pretty neat cigar shop there a guy runs out of his house if you're into that. Make sure to go down to the Michaelangelo's pizza joint besides the Lowe's foods in Carteret. Some decent shopping in Emerald Isle. EJW in Morehead is a pretty good gun shop. Not completely Fudd but not bad. This is all within a 15-20 min drive of Swansboro.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Will do. Gonna do some shooting at Flatwoods on the weekend. We had to detour Maryland on the way down. Anything else let me know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehhhhh, be Leary of Flatwoods. Assuming that its an older RSO you will be dealing with things should be fine. If its the young guy turn around and leave. He is an ass clown
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
In Swansboro:  Riverside steak and seafood.

Stumpies Custom Guns

I haven't been to Flatwoods in years, but I do remember the old RSO.  I'll second he's ok.  Don't know about the young guy currently there.  I didn't really care that there were only three 200 yard targets (219, actually?) and only one spot in the middle where you could position shoot from.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. We chatted up the guys from Flatwoods on Monday. The older gentleman was a bit friendlier but he supposedly has family back our way. They both seemed to loosen up. Not really sure where else to go. And its not even 5 minutes from where we are staying. Never seen so many gun and gear stores in an area. Kind of a suprise. Then again, I don't travel much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I was stationed there for a few years.

Go hit up the pawn shops and pick up Vickers Slings and carry handle sights for way less than they're worth.  They're literally swimming in them over there.  I bought most of my slings for $10 or $15.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:40:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. We chatted up the guys from Flatwoods on Monday. The older gentleman was a bit friendlier but he supposedly has family back our way. They both seemed to loosen up. Not really sure where else to go. And its not even 5 minutes from where we are staying. Never seen so many gun and gear stores in an area. Kind of a suprise. Then again, I don't travel much.
View Quote

You spoke to Rick.  He is the RSO during the week and very easy to get along with most of the time.  I have seen him get a bit hot at times, but it is when you have stupid idiots walk up to check in with a loaded rifle.  Ask them to pull the bolt back and they say its unloaded.  Ask them to pull the bolt back and a round flies out of the chamber, and the magazine is full of rounds.  Stupid shit like that.

There are usually two RSOs that take turns during the weekend.  One is older and his name is Chuck.  The younger one is Steve.  Last year, I went shooting about 3 to 4 times a week, and interacted with all three of them over the summer because I was in between college courses so I paid for a membership.  I never had a problem with any of them.  

Years ago, there were some really shitty RSOs.  They were bad enough that they were driving away shooters, including me.  I did not shoot there for a very long time.  I finally went back and decided to buy a membership because those other RSOs were gone.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In Swansboro:  Riverside steak and seafood.

Stumpies Custom Guns

I haven't been to Flatwoods in years, but I do remember the old RSO.  I'll second he's ok.  Don't know about the young guy currently there.  I didn't really care that there were only three 200 yard targets (219, actually?) and only one spot in the middle where you could position shoot from.
View Quote

It is a 200 meter range.  That is 218.7 yards.  There are 4 target stands at the 200 meter line and you can see the targets from the last bench on the 100 meter side, the left side, the last bench of the 50 meter side, the right side, and there is open room between the benches for two people to shoot positions.  It would be a little crowded, but it can be done.  

Very few people go out there to shoot at 200 meters, so it really isn't as if people are being put out by not having shooting space at the 200 meter line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top