Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2016 2:20:21 PM EDT
Hi All,

We are planning on driving up from Florida.

I would be grateful for a recommendation for a family friendly city  with plenty of children's activities.  Additionally, our goal is to see snow.

I heard Boone might be a good choice? It's for any input.

JP

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Boone, Asheville, wherever they have snow skiiing
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely the Boone and Banner Elk area.  It flurried in here Boone for a little bit yesterday.  

Sugar and Beech are both making snow now, I'd guess Appalachian is also.  

There's lots of snow tubing and ice skating in the area.  Fun for kids if they don't ski or snowboard.  

Beech Mountain Web Cam

Sugar Mountain Web Cam

ETA:  There's more to do in Boone, more restaurants, movie theater etc etc.  Banner Elk mostly has skiing and sleeping this time of year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep,  you gotta go somewhere making the fake stuff, it's unlikely well see snow this season
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You need rain for snow, we really havent had rain since July. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
go to sugar mountain!

or Appalachian ski mountain.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]

This is about your best chance this year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Boone is your best bet.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
And that is just fine with me.

ETA i meant to quote frogs post.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Boone way before Asheville. Higher elevation with colder temps.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The Boone area was my first thought.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Again Boone is a pretty good choice.  Cataloochee Ski area up in Maggie Valley has been open for a couple days now.  Also, we've had pretty incredible white stuff up in the high spots of Smoky Mountains NP.  All natural of course.  Yesterday the entire upper reaches of the mountain was covered in rime ice.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Boone is your best bet, but there has been no snow this year so I don't know how good the skiing will be by winter break.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:34:06 AM EDT
[#13]
ive been wearing short sleeves every day this week in Asheville.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Mount Mitchell is the highest elevation point east of the Mississippi at 6,684.  Which  puts Burnsville & Spruce Pine near it for towns.  Not a lot to do especially for kids. A lot of the tourist stuff shuts down so the mining places won't be open.  The problem is no where is reliable for cold weather and snow in NC.  I have hike the Mitchell trial that climbs 3600' in 5.5 miles, which meant I started out in t-shirt and light outer shell on nice clear vegetation no hints of snow or ice to finish up at the top with a foot or so of snow.

I used to Ice Climb, and I would have to call a friend up there to get the "frozen outside dog's water bowl indicator" for if there was a chance the water was turning into climbable ice. If the bowl frozen over night and stayed frozen during the day, there was good odds the ice would form. Multiple days of that happening and/or staying was drive up now or miss it. When making plans to go ice climbing , I often had to switch to regular rock climbing. All the climate protect I needed was T-shirt because the weather was so warm.   NC can be frustrating for the weather. Which can be in  60-70's one week and in the 20-30's the next at higher elevations. If the weather is cold enough, the ski slopes might be able to create snow but even that is a gamble if planning. For better odds of snow you have to header farther North. The state is broken up from West to East as Mountains, Piedmont(foothills), Flat lands and then low lands and then the beach and outer banks.  

Also be aware if there is any ice they shut down sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway.  You can ride bicycles on the sections closed.  Contacting the Forestry Service rangers would give you good current conditions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top