Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2016 5:21:20 PM EDT
Is it legal here to hunt with a lever rifle in .357/.38? I can't seem to find any legislation that prohibits them, but at the same time can't find anything that allows them. I realize a lever gun is ok, it's the pistol caliber that has me scratching my head.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I was not able to find anything in writing regarding caliber limit for the state but I think particular counties may have limits on caliber.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is it legal here to hunt with a lever rifle in .357/.38? I can't seem to find any legislation that prohibits them, but at the same time can't find anything that allows them. I realize a lever gun is ok, it's the pistol caliber that has me scratching my head.
View Quote

Please select your load carefully.  Because most .357 hollowpoints are designed for vented-barrel revolver velocities, your bullet might not hold together for proper penetration.  The Hornady LeverRevolution 140 gr FTX load is a good choice though I, personally, would go with a 200gr flat point lead with gas check.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#4]

There is no caliber limit in NC for hunting....at one time there was, but not anymore.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
This.  Calibre restriction went away over a decade ago.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I know kids that kill deer in nc with 17HMR... So no issue.. Just be sure to be humane.  Hell I hunt NC Black bear with 300BO so there is that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top