Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2016 9:07:02 AM EDT
My family and I are coming up the week before Christmas.  I thought I might try my hand at trout fishing if there is anywhere nearby to go.  I easily found the regulations and a bit of information provided by the state.  However, I am looking for maybe a state fishing forum or somewhere that I can get info on type of tackle, places to try etc....Not looking for anyone's secret hole, just some tips. I am an avid fisherman but just not a trout fisherman (from Middle/South Ga).

Thanks and I appreciate any info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The weather will play a huge role with whether it will be worth it or not.

Last year, December was fairly warm and I fished quite a bit and did fairly well. But remember, trout are cold blooded and whatever the water temp is will dictate their metabolism. Around 50 degrees is the magic number. Although its not carved in stone, much below that and trout fishing is very slow. Also, nymphs are about the most productive way to go, at least you can get them down deep where the fish are.

The GSMNP is not far from Maggie Valley as are other streams.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at Haywood County here.

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/trout-streams-maps

You could also go into Cherokee.  There are tribal waters that are stocked year round.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top