Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2016 10:48:06 AM EDT
My mother has a cabin in Sylva that I visit every couple of months.  Every time I visit western NC I think, I would love to live somewhere around here.  My wife is an educator (chinese teacher) and I work as a professional photographer.  Bottom line is I would love to relocate somewhere outside Asheville (probably more job opportunity there). In addition to professional photography/videography I am also an NRA certified pistol instructor.  Just curious about the job market in that area, school system and gun laws in general ( CCW, NFA etc).
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Waynesville between sylva and Asheville. Its a good place to live pro gun (not many ranges) relatively low crime except pretty bad drug problem but I suspect its that way everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in canton and have to mirror what the post above me says.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Boone and have seen a good little bit of the surrounding area including Ashe County, Avery County Newland and Banner Elk and Blowing Rock. The only place I know of to shoot is Watauga County Gun Club, but it is nice and they host IDPA matches. Boone is definitely a college town but it is cool and a nice place. Ashe and Avery are very rural and Banner Elk and Blowing Rock are small. I wouldn't mind settling down somewhere near here, probably outside of any town. Your job prospects are going to be slim here though. You could look into living in the mountains of Tennessee too, but I don't know anything about that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#4]

The Aville housing market is getting very pricy these days.  The areas outside of Asheville are nice, safe, pro gun, pro Merica, etc.  IOn top of that, I t's actually just about perfect outside my window today

Unless you two have some decent job contacts in WNC, with your skill sets, Aville will likely be your best bet for employment.  Jobs on the other hand, outside of the Aville commute are difficult though.  Schools are hit and miss depending on where exacty you are.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy's sister lives out in Sylva and we went to Moss Knob range when I was out there to visit. Decent public range and it was deserted the day we went.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My buddy's sister lives out in Sylva and we went to Moss Knob range when I was out there to visit. Decent public range and it was deserted the day we went.
View Quote

Does Moss Knob have an attendant now?  I go out to the Lake Logan state range and they have a gate and staff. It's no real problem and the staff is cool.  Im just annoyed at the open hours.

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You can only move to western NC if you are pro gun and vote Republican.. I am tired of all the people moving to western NC and messing this place up lol

But i live in Hendersonville and would agree with all the opinions above..
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
just returned from the Banner Elk area.   Seems like opportunity for my skill set (professional photography) are slim to none. Might be time for a career change.   Looks like ya'll will be getting some snow this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Western Carolina University may be hiring. It's minutes from there in Cullowheeeeeeeeeeeeeere's my umbrella.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top