Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 10:24:12 AM EDT
Hello all,

We recently had a job fair on base and I was speaking with an officer from the charlotte-(mklenberg, messed up spelling) police department. He was going over a lot of things with me such as how the academy works and some veterans benefits that would apply and sort of streamline the process for me. I haven't really given a lot of thought to being a LEO but its definitely something im keeping myself open to. On the verge of getting out the thought of the real world is starting to take its grip on my mind. ive been told exactly what to do for the past 4 years to succeed and that's all about to stop. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about the PD that they can share? If we have any vets that are currently there I would like to hear from you as well
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not work for CMPD but do work for a slightly smaller PD in NC. As long as you do not expect a great salary and can tolerate today's anit-police climate that includes body worn cameras and episodes of open hostility, there are good reasons to pursue a career in law enforcement in this area. CMPD enjoys a good reputation and some officers have left my agency for CMPD.

Benefits are generally good with a 30 yr retirement that will give you credit for your military service. CMPD has a take home car program unlike my agency. It is not for everyone for certain but it has been my expericence that the vast majority of former military folks make a easy transition to law enforcement. I say for for it and stay safe!

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking at it from the outside, today's LEO are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My hats off to anyone that does that job well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
LE work wouldnt be my 1st choice nowadays.  If I had to do it over again, I would have probably became a CPA instead
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not work for CMPD but do work for a slightly smaller PD in NC. As long as you do not expect a great salary and can tolerate today's anit-police climate that includes body worn cameras and episodes of open hostility, there are good reasons to pursue a career in law enforcement in this area. CMPD enjoys a good reputation and some officers have left my agency for CMPD.

Benefits are generally good with a 30 yr retirement that will give you credit for your military service. CMPD has a take home car program unlike my agency. It is not for everyone for certain but it has been my expericence that the vast majority of former military folks make a easy transition to law enforcement. I say for for it and stay safe!

View Quote

I'm out!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LE work wouldnt be my 1st choice nowadays.  If I had to do it over again, I would have probably became a CPA instead
View Quote

HA ha! Awesome man, after all the years you have put in. Come on Chris, you don't mean that. I've done it for 11 years now and for the life of me would not pick any other carrier. You just have to ride the wave of political sentiment. Its the nature of the beast.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

HA ha! Awesome man, after all the years you have put in. Come on Chris, you don't mean that. I've done it for 11 years now and for the life of me would not pick any other carrier. You just have to ride the wave of political sentiment. Its the nature of the beast.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm not changing now I'm in too deep at this point
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Heads up a  for a take on the issues, a darker skin(since race name and country, continent and/or origins can vary greatly) officer shot a darker skin colored man.....  Now  the "Ka -Ka is hitting the fan" ar15's  thread in GD(so scrolling wheel applied as needed) with  live links(new and old)  and tv station feed links as the protest/riot swells and does& grows to inly be rekindle by something stupid.. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1911161_LIVE_FEED___Charlotte_Potests___North_Carolinastan.html  8 pages of this post at this point. Figured a view of people, involved, the neighborhood, the community outside of that, the city(political officials), and departmental(CMPD) response might give you a view of worst case days.  With a sprinkling of how each news source paints their stories of the facts.

I was kind of surprised there wasn't a thread already in the NC hometown forum on the subject matter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Heads up a  for a take on the issues, a darker skin(since race name and country, continent and/or origins can vary greatly) officer shot a darker skin colored man.....  Now  the "Ka -Ka is hitting the fan" ar15's  thread in GD(so scrolling wheel applied as needed) with  live links(new and old)  and tv station feed links as the protest/riot swells and does& grows to inly be rekindle by something stupid.. https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1911161_LIVE_FEED___Charlotte_Potests___North_Carolinastan.html  8 pages of this post at this point. Figured a view of people, involved, the neighborhood, the community outside of that, the city(political officials), and departmental(CMPD) response might give you a view of worst case days.  With a sprinkling of how each news source paints their stories of the facts.

I was kind of surprised there wasn't a thread already in the NC hometown forum on the subject matter.
View Quote
?

First post was last night at 10.23pm.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_34/605205_Rioting_in_Charlotte_University_City_After_OIS.html

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#9]

If i had to do it over again I would not do police work. It was a good job and you could have

fun and get the job done, but now the police are a whipping boy for anyone offended about

anything. No matter what you do you will be wrong. Picture yourself lying on the road

and seeing a large bus run over you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

?

First post was last night at 10.23pm.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_34/605205_Rioting_in_Charlotte_University_City_After_OIS.html

For some reason it didn't shown on  my screen when I checked. I came here to get information first. I'm kinda shocked this is still ongoing and at this level.  If anyone here, remembers in early 1990's  the community had a "Stop Black on Black Crime"....so if it was like on any other race is was ok, I guess....  movement.  It wasn't a "stop the violence as a whole" but specified "black on black" which was disgusting to me. It sent a message that somehow their victims mattered more.

Ether way, the Op Ridgedaddy is getting to see the city at its worst  and how the different agencies interact and work with each other during such times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top