Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 5:24:28 PM EDT
I was at Blackstone today and was told that to buy a stripped lower I would need a NC CCW or Pistol Purchase Permit.  Is this true?  I just moved from PA, and stripped lowers were always an "other" on my 4473's.

Edit:  I will be getting my NC CCW, but won't be able to take a class for another few weeks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You might as well go ahead and get the pistol permit from the sheriff.
Getting your CCW, takes a lot longer than I does in Pa.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
much luck if you are in Meck Co. they certainly take their time with the permits. Im in Gaston and it was quick to get pistol permits and the wait for my concealed wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, it's not required by law.

Blackstone consistently does this, however. Lower are "other", but because they can be built into a pistol you must be 21, and an in-state resident, to buy them. I believe they unnecessarily do it as a CYA move...but I'm not exactly sure what they think they're covering.  Got into a big discussion about it on CSC one day.

Either buy the lower somewhere else, or play by their house rules.
View Quote

Actually, though it is not required by law specifically, it is required by regulation.  The BATFE recently classified stripped lowers as pistols for transfer purposes.  Actually makes a small bit of sense because it is not a full firearm and it is, uh, well, under 26".  Not that I agree with it, but that's what it is.  I always had them transferred to me as pistols anyway and first built them as pistols so that they could never be classified as a "pistol made from a rifle" which is the archaic anti-mobster legislation meant to stop "whippet" guns.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Actually, though it is not required by law specifically, it is required by regulation.  The BATFE recently classified stripped lowers as pistols for transfer purposes.  Actually makes a small bit of sense because it is not a full firearm and it is, uh, well, under 26".  Not that I agree with it, but that's what it is.  I always had them transferred to me as pistols anyway and first built them as pistols so that they could never be classified as a "pistol made from a rifle" which is the archaic anti-mobster legislation meant to stop "whippet" guns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it's not required by law.

Blackstone consistently does this, however. Lower are "other", but because they can be built into a pistol you must be 21, and an in-state resident, to buy them. I believe they unnecessarily do it as a CYA move...but I'm not exactly sure what they think they're covering.  Got into a big discussion about it on CSC one day.

Either buy the lower somewhere else, or play by their house rules.

The regulation only prevented the dealers from transferring to out state residents, and to anyone under 21, same as a pistol.  There is no requirement to transfer it as a pistol, it is still transferred as a lower (other), and nobody could ever classify them as a pistol made from a rifle, unless the lower left the factory a rife.  And the manufacturer would be able to confirm that, or confirm it left as a stripped lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top