Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 9:17:18 PM EDT
Hey guys.
I sold a car today.
Do I have to hand the plate/tag into the DMV? This is my first car sale in NC.
At what point can I remove the car from my insurance?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I always drop it from my insurance few days before I sell or right around the sale date.
The tag I usually turn back in to the DMV but I reckon you can just keep it too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always drop it from my insurance few days before I sell or right around the sale date.
The tag I usually turn back in to the DMV but I reckon you can just keep it too.
View Quote

I actually just found this dmv link. It says you will be charged a penalty fee if you cancel the insurance on a vehicle before handing in the tag.
Did you ever have to pay a fine?

Thanks!

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/plates/surrender/
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Last car that my wife sold, about 3 months ago, we had to surrender the plate to DMV.

Our insurance told us we could be fined if we cancled our insurance before surrendering our plate.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I actually just found this dmv link. It says you will be charged a penalty fee if you cancel the insurance on a vehicle before handing in the tag.

Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Bought, sold, traded dozens of cars. Never turned a tag in.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Turn it in and get a receipt. I got a vehicle property tax bill from Wake County in the mail a year or two ago for a car I traded in about 6 years earlier. I thought the dealer took it because they signed us up for new tags on the new car. I argued with the tax office and even offered to fax them a dated, signed copy of the trade-in agreement with the dealer but they wouldn't budge. Turned out my wife stuck the tag in a box of crap that was in the car and it ended up on a shelf in the garage. If we had turned it in I wouldn't have had to pay.

Depending on your property tax schedule, you may even get a partial refund on the tax.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Last car that my wife sold, about 3 months ago, we had to surrender the plate to DMV.   Our insurance told us we could be fined if we cancled our insurance before surrendering our plate.

View Quote

This is what ive been told as well. Keep the vehicle insured until sold, then turn in the plate to the DMV and keep the receipt in case you were to ever need it, THEN you can cancel the insurance on it.

From what I have been told they can and will fine you if you do not turn in the tag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Sell car, turn in tag, drop insurance.  That order is what I stick too.  The DMV will give you a receipt for the tag turn in iirc.  Keep this obviously.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#9]

You are supposed to have the tag turned in on the same day or before you drop the insurance.  Friend of mine at the DMV told me the state was going to crack down on those that wait a few days before turning the tag in and hit them with a fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#10]
As said, Turn in the tag then have the insurance canceled.Have the Insurance go on for a couple days after the turn date just to CYA.  Please make sure you get a receipt for the tag being turned in. Don't use the convenient drop box. I've had several friends get burned by turning their plates in but the DMV not logging in to the system and then they are on the hook for taxes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a pertinent answer to the question, but I moved out of NC a few years back and registered my car here.  I Still have my NC plate and haven't heard anything about it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Turn the tag in, get the receipt and then file it with your county and get a % of your property tax back.  I just got a check back for $88.92 on a vehicle I traded last month.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I turned in the plate just to get it off the property tax rolls
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:16:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Same.

Sold one a few days ago and threw the tag away...now that I said this, I'll get a fine in the mail
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell car, turn in plate, then drop insurance. 90% of time they won't make a deal out of it, but if they do, fines add up real quick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top