Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 6:48:51 AM EDT
From one of the shoot house course attendees and current Marine officer:

Here's a short video of the culminating drill of two days of instruction with Defensive Concepts North Carolina.

BLUF: Chris and Steve offer a hell of a training experience and environment for people of any skill level to learn and have a good time doing it.

BLUF 2: Listening to Dangerzone makes every room I enter a Dangerzone, but I hit everything I was aiming at.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me say a couple things: 1. I am not a high speed low drag operator in any sense of the words. I am just a bro hanging out doing bro things with my bro friends. 2. There were appropriate safety measures in place the entire time the course was conducted and I never felt unsafe when I was conducting training or anyone else was conducting training.

With that out of the way, I'll say this about what I learned: Some training scars are difficult to overcome and require focused effort to address. I went into the course knowing one way to clear a room, relying on speed and violence of action. Throughout the two days I learned how to be much more methodical and deliberate as well as utilize techniques that are counter to what I've been indoctrinated with, but serve a rational purpose given the environment this class is training for. This course will help give you the foundation to build the skills and mindset to make the best of a worst case scenario; i.e. you are in a building with a potential threat and you have no other recourse but to clear it on your own. Watching the video should make it abundantly clear that once my heart rate went up, I quickly reverted to level of training that I've mastered, which is to smash everything in a room. I will have to continue training in order to fully adapt myself to a different paradigm that fits the environment I live in.

Final tally:
Good shoots: 4 engaged
No Shoots: 7 engaged 2 not engaged
View Quote

video:

http://youtu.be/_hrE9mFKHyc
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
What are the prerequisites / gear requirements for your shoot house classes?
How much do they cost?

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are the prerequisites / gear requirements for your shoot house classes?How much do they cost?

View Quote

Check out their website for most of that info, defensiveconceptsnc.com

I wanted to do the last shoothouse course, but couldn't make it due to work schedule. Hopefully next time I can make it work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What are the prerequisites / gear requirements for your shoot house classes?How much do they cost?

View Quote

Prereq:

Since we are doing solo clears we are only requiring students to have completed a regular level 1 handgun/carbine class (depends on which course you are doing). Regardless of your expereince level, if you are unable to work safely in the house your live fire ability will be pulled or you will be booted from the class (depends on the issue).

Gear:

100 rounds of frangible ammo
body armor
normal gear needed for classes

Cost:

$425
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Prereq:

Since we are doing solo clears we are only requiring students to have completed a regular level 1 handgun/carbine class (depends on which course you are doing). Regardless of your expereince level, if you are unable to work safely in the house your live fire ability will be pulled or you will be booted from the class (depends on the issue).

Gear:

body armor

Cost:

$425
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prereq:

Gear:

body armor

Cost:

$425

I wanted to take the class, but ended up having to work so I couldn't anyway. But can I ask why you require the body armor? I don't have armor or a plate carrier as a civilian, and would want to take the course more as a way to learn defensive reaction to something like a home invasion or workplace shooting.

Would you say this class is more aimed at LEO since there is the requirement of armor?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
But can I ask why you require the body armor? I don't have armor or a plate carrier as a civilian, and would want to take the course more as a way to learn defensive reaction to something like a home invasion or workplace shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
But can I ask why you require the body armor? I don't have armor or a plate carrier as a civilian, and would want to take the course more as a way to learn defensive reaction to something like a home invasion or workplace shooting.

Its a safety requirement. Just like wearing hearing and eye protection; armor is worn in the shoot house to limit the chances of being injured due to objects that might be flying through the air.

Would you say this class is more aimed at LEO since there is the requirement of armor?

Absolutely not. In the handgun class we had 1 guy that was armed security and 2 active duty Marines.  Everyone else was just ordinary people there to train and learn some new things

btw we have loaner armor
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wanted to take the class, but ended up having to work so I couldn't anyway. But can I ask why you require the body armor? I don't have armor or a plate carrier as a civilian, and would want to take the course more as a way to learn defensive reaction to something like a home invasion or workplace shooting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prereq:

Gear:

body armor

Cost:

$425

No reason a civilian can't have armor. I'm a civilian and have a plate carrier and plates. You can find decent setups cheap enough online with a little bit of searching. Personally I think its a good idea to wear during training, I've been flagged at least once when someone turned around during training without thinking (guy did get booted from the class after that, but still).

Anyways, looks like an awesome class. Maybe one day I'll be able to make one. Does the level 1 handgun class have to have been with you guys though?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does the level 1 handgun class have to have been with you guys though?
View Quote

Not at all though we do think our level 1 classes are awesome sauce
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its a safety requirement. Just like wearing hearing and eye protection; armor is worn in the shoot house to limit the chances of being injured due to objects that might be flying through the air.

Absolutely not. In the handgun class we had 1 guy that was armed security and 2 active duty Marines.  Everyone else was just ordinary people there to train and learn some new things

btw we have loaner armor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

btw we have loaner armor

Good deal, thatll fix the problem for now. Are you planning anymore handgun shoothouses this year? I see an upcoming rifle.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good deal, thatll fix the problem for now. Are you planning anymore handgun shoothouses this year? I see an upcoming rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

btw we have loaner armor

Likely in the late fall/early winter we'll have another
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

btw we have loaner armor

Sweet, ill check your website for updates. Hopefully I can get coverage for work so I can make this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top