Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 8:09:23 PM EDT
I know the age requirement is 21, since it takes around 45 days for the application to be processed, can the application be submitted before your 21st birthday. If so, how soon in advance can this be done?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an application in front of me because I am in the process of renewing.  It specifically states must be twenty-one at the time of application.  What does your application state?  I bet it is the same.

Also, it doesn't take about 45 days.  They are supposed to issue it within 45 days, but they basically start the clock when they want using their administrative tricks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me clarify, I was asking because my daughter will be turning 21 in May, I was just checking if you could start the application processes in advance. When my wife and I got our permits, the age requirement was never a consideration, so I was just checking.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You must be 21 to apply. The required course can be taken prior to the age of 21 but she'll have to wait till her 21st birthday to start the paperwork at the sheriffs office for the permit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the answers.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 3:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting a ccw usually takes over or around 90 days to get it back.  Where does it say 45 days?
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

§ 14-415.15.  Issuance or denial of permit.

(a)        Except as permitted under subsection (b) of this section, within 45 days after receipt of the items listed in G.S. 14-415.13 from an applicant, and receipt of the required records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant, the sheriff shall either issue or deny the permit. The sheriff may conduct any investigation necessary to determine the qualification or competency of the person applying for the permit, including record checks.

Doesn't mean all county sheriffs actually follow the law though, as I've recently come to discover while helping out a noob.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting a ccw usually takes over or around 90 days to get it back.  Where does it say 45 days?

Here:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_54B.html

(a)        Except as permitted under subsection (b) of this section, within 45 days after receipt of the items listed in G.S. 14-415.13 from an applicant, and receipt of the required records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant, the sheriff shall either issue or deny the permit. The sheriff may conduct any investigation necessary to determine the qualification or competency of the person applying for the permit, including record checks.

Doesn't mean all county sheriffs actually follow the law though, as I've recently come to discover while helping out a noob.

The part I highlighted is the gotcha.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
onslow took about 15 days to issue, the transfer to New hanover took about a week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Getting my initial in Guilford took 98 days from doing the application to picking up the permit.   It took me 3 months to get an appointment just to fill out the application.  That was several years back.  My son is waiting on his now, he is about 70 days in.  Getting the appointment was much quicker.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here:

Wow I was always told 75-90 days.

For a min there I thought this was for a PP permit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Hearing these wait times is a bummer. I will be moving to NC in a few months and will need to do this. Here in OH it took me a full 3 days to get mine after submitting the paperwork.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hearing these wait times is a bummer. I will be moving to NC in a few months and will need to do this. Here in OH it took me a full 3 days to get mine after submitting the paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NC recognizes CCPs from any other state so there is no need to get a new one. Unfortunately, you still need to obtain pistol purchase permits to purchase handguns if you don't have a NC CHP. It's a redundant and antiquated system when NICS background checks exist.

Quoted:
And depending on the county...good luck getting it in 45 days.

Last person I knew that called here in Meck Co took the first appointment, and it was 4 months out. Then it took them another 4 months or so to approve it. (And that doesn't even count the time she lost when she had to cancel her first appointment the day of and had to reschedule it.

Screw the waiting and the 8 hour course. Since NC recognizes CCPs from any state, it's easier to take an online class like this and apply for a Virgina Non-Resident Permit. I don't know how long it takes but its probably quicker than Meck county.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]
She can take the class at any time, and submit the application on her birthday. State wait is "up to 45 days." But the state turn around us actually really quick, it's at the county level that takes the time. Latest turn around for Pamlico County is 24 days, last I heard for craven county was 90 days.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Bummer to hear this. My FIL waited just over three months for his in Meck county if I recall. We are looking at homes in Huntersville just north of Charlotte, not sure if that is still Meck county?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

NC recognizes CCPs from any other state so there is no need to get a new one. Unfortunately, you still need to obtain pistol purchase permits to purchase handguns if you don't have a NC CHP. It's a redundant and antiquated system when NICS background checks exist.

Screw the waiting and the 8 hour course. Since NC recognizes CCPs from any state, it's easier to take an online class like this and apply for a Virgina Non-Resident Permit. I don't know how long it takes but its probably quicker than Meck county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
And depending on the county...good luck getting it in 45 days.

Last person I knew that called here in Meck Co took the first appointment, and it was 4 months out. Then it took them another 4 months or so to approve it. (And that doesn't even count the time she lost when she had to cancel her first appointment the day of and had to reschedule it.

This is misleading at best. First, NC does not recognize EVERY other state permit. A majority, yes, not all. There have actually been rumblings of the legislature writing a bill revoking reciprocity of non-resident permits due to their use being seen as skirting the system by avoiding a class that reviews necessary state law (I have some reservations, but understand the point as somebody who went through the legal checks to get a permit).

Second, anybody who moves here and becomes a resident needs to get an NC permit. Once they establish residency, the old permit becomes void and will no longer be recognized, thus making carrying concealed a misdemeanor. (Some states, such as FL, convert the permit to non-resident...which may not mean much eventually)
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 2:54:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is misleading at best. First, NC does not recognize EVERY other state permit. A majority, yes, not all. There have actually been rumblings of the legislature writing a bill revoking reciprocity of non-resident permits due to their use being seen as skirting the system by avoiding a class that reviews necessary state law (I have some reservations, but understand the point as somebody who went through the legal checks to get a permit).

Second, anybody who moves here and becomes a resident needs to get an NC permit. Once they establish residency, the old permit becomes void and will no longer be recognized, thus making carrying concealed a misdemeanor. (Some states, such as FL, convert the permit to non-resident...which may not mean much eventually)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually, NC does consider any other states valid carry permit valid in NC.

14-415.24.  Reciprocity; out-of-state handgun permits.

(a)        A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.

Also, some other states do not automatically invalidate their permits when the holder becomes a  NC resident, some remain valid until they expire but can't be renewed and as you said, others convert to non resident and can be renewed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Also, some other states do not automatically invalidate their permits when the holder becomes a  NC resident, some remain valid until they expire but can't be renewed and as you said, others convert to non resident and can be renewed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(a)        A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.

Ok, I see where full reciprocity was changed a while back. While the state may not invalidate or revoke the permit, it is no longer valid in the eyes of the law. Think about a DL. Once you move to NC you have 60 days to obtain a new one. Just because the old state doesn't make you turn it back in doesn't mean it's valid. You are no longer a resident and need a new NC license with your current information. A concealed carry works the same way. It is residency dependent. Once you move you need a new permit from your new state or the old one needs to become a non-resident permit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Arizona permit remains valid, and I can (and will) renew it. There is no resident/non-resident distinction. It requires applicants to be either Arizona residents or US citizens. I'm only considering the NC permit now because I want enhanced reciprocity with other states, and because I'm sick of getting pistol permits.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok, I see where full reciprocity was changed a while back. While the state may not invalidate or revoke the permit, it is no longer valid in the eyes of the law. Think about a DL. Once you move to NC you have 60 days to obtain a new one. Just because the old state doesn't make you turn it back in doesn't mean it's valid. You are no longer a resident and need a new NC license with your current information. A concealed carry works the same way. It is residency dependent. Once you move you need a new permit from your new state or the old one needs to become a non-resident permit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What statute can you cite that says that other states permits are no longer valid in the "eyes of the law"?

The key term in the statute I quoted above is "valid" which means that the issuing state still recognizes the permit even with the change of state of residence which many states do as long as the change of address is done with the issuing state.

There is no comparison between concealed carry permits and drivers licenses. They each have their own regulations and statutes and forms of acceptance among states.

I've had to address this many times for several students and there is no cut and dried "you MUST get a NC permit upon moving to NC". You have to check with the issuing state to see what their provisions are for permit holders who change states of residency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top