Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2016 4:50:12 PM EDT
I'm looking to contract someone to build a cement vault in western North Carolina. Does anyone have any recommendations? I had planned to go with a large walk in steel vault but I couldn't find anyone reputable who makes them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this new construction? Or going into an existing structure?

I inquired a couple years ago at one of my local concrete companies (Kingsway Concrete in Hendersonville) and they spoke as if they had done them before. They said they had the forms to build it and could reinforce everything to accommodate a vault door. They didn't supply the door and I don't know if they would install the door - we never got that far.

This was for new construction and I really don't know how it would work in an existing building as they would have to pour in place.

Depending on your circumstances, it might be worth checking with some of your local concrete companies. I don't know of anyone who specializes in that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It is new construction. I spoke to a local safe company who told me there is no one locally they know if that can do a good job on these. I'm hesitant to call a cement place because I have no idea how to judge the quality of there work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Where is western NC
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm near Asheville.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have enough stuff to want to build a walk-in vault, you have enough stuff where you don't want anyone to know that you are building a vault.

If you have already talked to your local concrete place about building a vault, you have already blown your secrecy.
View Quote

I haven't. I put it here but no one here knows we're I live other than near Asheville. That is another concern.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have enough stuff to want to build a walk-in vault, you have enough stuff where you don't want anyone to know that you are building a vault.

If you have already talked to your local concrete place about building a vault, you have already blown your secrecy.
View Quote

So other than building it himself, hand mixing it, finishing the house over the top of it himself without any help at any stage, I'm not sure how you build something like this without "blowing your secrecy".

It's like buying a safe and having it delivered no? You know, the safe guy knows, his helpers know, the neighbors know if they see it delivered.

I tried telling everyone it was for my wife's vast jewelery collection but no one believes that since she never wears any.

OP, just tell everyone it's for your model railroad collection. Or a cigar collection. You are in Ashville, it's for your craft beer collection!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So other than building it himself, hand mixing it, finishing the house over the top of it himself without any help at any stage, I'm not sure how you build something like this without "blowing your secrecy".

It's like buying a safe and having it delivered no? You know, the safe guy knows, his helpers know, the neighbors know if they see it delivered.

I tried telling everyone it was for my wife's vast jewelery collection but no one believes that since she never wears any.

OP, just tell everyone it's for your model railroad collection. Or a cigar collection. You are in Ashville, it's for your craft beer collection!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its were I plan to put the people I catch.... It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

That was one thought in going for a large walk in steel safe. I can pick it up and with help of course drop it where I want it, then build walls around it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Two ways to go:
1. Look for someone who cast in place basement walls. They build a form ( the better ones use alm. sheets) then take them off after the pour.

2. You could DIY an ICF vault.( ICF ) It would have insulation in place so you could tell folks it is a walk in cooler
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top