Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2016 8:35:10 PM EDT
I have a 24" stainless bull barrell that I want to get threaded and the crown recut on. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand Experiance with gunsmiths in the area doing this. I don't want to take it to joe blow who typically installs parts but has a lathe and thinks he can do it. I want to make sure it's done right and the threads/crown are concentric to the bore.

I am wanting to avoid shipping it off if at all possible.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd send it to ADCO.   Don't know anybody local I'd put my name on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd send it to ADCO.   Don't know anybody local I'd put my name on.
View Quote

That's where I was leaning to have it done if I couldn't source a local place. I know a lot of people have used them. It just worries me to read that all the work is done off site. I am curious how they align the bore to do the threads. I am a machinist by trade and have a lathe at home but my lathe is too small for this barrel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Check with board member jntmjt1. He owns Retro Arms Works and does a lot of work for the guys in the AR15.com Retro forum. He works on new stuff in addition to retro.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:04:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle & Tool. Great guy, did my 700 build with a Rock Creek M24 barrel. He crowned it, cut it to 24", cut the chamber, threaded, bedded. Awesome job and the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. If you look on their website under "Testimonials" you will see my rifle. Check them out. www.precisionriflesales.com
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Drive to Wilkes county and have it done at Baity's custom gunworks you wont be disappointed. He has built and serviced firearms for SEAL Teams, Army Rangers, and Special Forces.

http://www.baityscustom.com/

A statement  from his website.

Leonard Baity is a builder and competitor of 1000 Yard Bench Guns.

He has over 30 years experience in building rifles and handguns
for target shooting, hunting, competition, and defense.

He has been named an American Handgunner Magazine Top 100 Pistolsmith.

Baity's guns have set and/or maintain some 21 State and National Records.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
You can try Ricky Evans in Winston Salem, I don't have experience with him threading anything but I have seen guns he pinned a flash hider on which were not previously threaded. He fine tuned a Colt 1911 for me and did a very good job on that. As a prior post mentioned, Baity's custom gun works is also reputable. My only personal experience there though is with the same 1911 Ricky tuned, I took if to Baity's and was told a 1911 is just a 1911 and to leave it alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top