Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 6:57:27 AM EDT
“Lucien Black,” (AKA Therivil Black, AKA Michael Thervil, which appears to be his real name) the Fayetteville, NC-based firearms instructor made infamous recently for violating nearly every possible rule of gun safety and insisting that his way is better than the methodologies used by recognized experts in the training industry, has been stripped of his NRA instructor credentials and his North Carolina Concealed Carry Instructor credentials by the NC Department of Justice.

http://bearingarms.com/worlds-worst-firearms-instructor-stripped-credentials/
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe this will be a start to a great trend.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly sure who we're talking about here, anybody got more links?

ETA: after reading the above article I do recognize the guy from the photo(no YouTube at work so I couldn't watch the video). I have seen a couple short clips of him teaching horrible tactics, and the one that did it for me was him pointing his weapon at the guy he was instructing the entire time
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate it when idiots like this give the firearms community a bad wrap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The racial factor comes in here a bit.  I know that I and many others in the community try our hardest to be accommodating to women, racial & ethnic minorities.  Part of it is a desire to help them. Women have a greater interest in self-defense shooting and minorities are often put in places where they have more call for self-defense.  I really feel uncomfortable with the perception and reality of outspoken, responsible gun owners being exclusively white men.

So along comes a black dude who wants to fit in.  I think there is more leeway given to women and minorities and that's not the way it should be.  Firearm Safety is race and gender blind.  Glad that didn't stop the NRA and NC from decertifying him.  I wonder how long it would have taken them to do that with a middle-aged white guy like myself if I'd been pulling the same crap?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The racial factor comes in here a bit.  I know that I and many others in the community try our hardest to be accommodating to women, racial & ethnic minorities.  Part of it is a desire to help them. Women have a greater interest in self-defense shooting and minorities are often put in places where they have more call for self-defense.  I really feel uncomfortable with the perception and reality of outspoken, responsible gun owners being exclusively white men.

So along comes a black dude who wants to fit in.  I think there is more leeway given to women and minorities and that's not the way it should be.  Firearm Safety is race and gender blind.  Glad that didn't stop the NRA and NC from decertifying him.  I wonder how long it would have taken them to do that with a middle-aged white guy like myself if I'd been pulling the same crap?
View Quote

I get where youre coming from to a point, but I honestly never even gave thought to the fact that this guy was a "minority." After watching about a minute and a half of one of his videos, there is no doubt that he should be decertified. IMO ANYbody who is teaching people without regards to proper safety or gun handling skills shouldn't be allowed to teach, period.

Granted, people can teach all the new ways and personal preferred "techniques" that they want(whether they work/are practical or not), but if you ignore the safety rules that should be immediate grounds for getting the boot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top