Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 11:57:52 PM EDT
So I may be getting a job on Fort Bragg in the near future.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the small town just north of the base called Spring Lake?

Is it much nicer than Lafayette?  I was stationed in Fort Hood for a few years and I found Killeen to be a depressing dump but Copperas Cove- a small town on the other side of the base- was much more quiet and pleasant and I was wondering if Spring Lake has any similarities to that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really, You drive out Butner gate and you are there. It continues to expand north along Hwy 24/87 but from the time you leave the Hwy 24 over pass driving along 87/ Bragg Blvd till you cross Rockfish creek to the south, it all is Fayetteville.
Housing prices and rent are artificially high. This goes out for about 20 miles in all directions. Depending on where you will work. and how much of a drive you want  look at Moore Co. area. (Vass, Cameron, Southern pines, Aberdeen).
The Hwy 401/ Raeford area has a better selection, but the traffic sucks.

Good luck
NOI
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Spring Lake is as trashy as the rest of the immediate area. Parkton is too, from my understanding.

Moore County is where you want to be. Plenty of good neighborhoods, and schools are miles better if you have kids, especially in Southern Pines and Pinehurst. Just sold my house in Pinehurst to my sister.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Another Vote for the Southern Pines, Aberdeen area. you just take Plank rd through the Chicken Gate. Reaford isn't bad either, Just depends on your lifestyle. I plan on Buying a home in the Aberdeen area in the near future.

The Aberdeen, Southern Pines and Pinehurst area also gets you away from the big army Drama and nasty of fayettville/spring lake.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I've driven through Spring Lake a bunch and shopped there, it seems fine to me.  

Then again I don't understand why people think Fayetteville is so bad, the traffic is annoying certain times of the day but it's really just a bunch of restaurants and pawn shops.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Besides what I highlighted, the crime, both violent and non-violent, is out of control.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then again I don't understand why people think Fayetteville is so bad, the traffic is annoying certain times of the day but it's really just a bunch of (chain) restaurants and pawn shops.  

Besides what I highlighted, the crime, both violent and non-violent, is out of control.

I haven't experienced any.

Although I'm from a city with an actual violent crime problem so it all could be relative.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:09:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again I don't understand why people think Fayetteville is so bad, the traffic is annoying certain times of the day but it's really just a bunch of (chain) restaurants and pawn shops.  

This.

It's the only place that I have drove through in a marked police car and felt the need to lock my doors.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Southern Pines and Pinehurst are definitely nice but you might want to look at Sanford as well.  Rent would be cheaper than S. Pines and Pinehurst.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Southern Pines and Pinehurst are definitely nice but you might want to look at Sanford as well.  Rent would be cheaper than S. Pines and Pinehurst.
View Quote

Sanford isn't bad, but definitely not as nice as Moore. We have a building and property there.  

I'm from S FL,  so I'm not used to small town country. But I always felt like Pinehurst / SP was domesticated
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Broadway. 25 minutes from base, 15 minutes from Woody's, 25 minutes from Cary/Apex/Raleigh area, 35 minutes from H2O farms. You can't loose.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Broadway. Been here my whole life (38) years. The western part of Harnett county is where you need to look. Cost of living will be much lower than Southern Pines or Pinehurst.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I live in Broadway. Been here my whole life (38) years. The western part of Harnett county is where you need to look. Cost of living will be much lower than Southern Pines or Pinehurst.
View Quote

Thats what I like to hear.  Ideally I will either buy a small plot (maybe just one acre) and put a small manufactured home on it.  Or Ill just rent a house.  Dunno which route I want to take yet.  

But I am thankful for all the responses everybody. The company Im trying to join is flying me out for an interview early next month so, heres hoping.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thats what I like to hear.  Ideally I will either buy a small plot (maybe just one acre) and put a small manufactured home on it.  Or Ill just rent a house.  Dunno which route I want to take yet.  

But I am thankful for all the responses everybody. The company Im trying to join is flying me out for an interview early next month so, heres hoping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck!

Also buy a huge chunk of land and build a private shooting range on it
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good luck!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Lol

The only reason Im even considering buying instead of renting is so I can become an FFL.  Well, that and so I can bring all my dogs with me.  I have no illusions that I will make a profit as a FFL (not that Ill admit that to the ATF), I just think itd be pretty cool to own my own little business and this would be a fun way to get my feet wet without investing lots of money.  Id only act as a middle man between online vendors and the local consumers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Broadway. 25 minutes from base, 15 minutes from Woody's, 25 minutes from Cary/Apex/Raleigh area, 35 minutes from H2O farms. You can't loose.
View Quote

This is not a call out, but exactly how are you making it from Broadway to Apex in 25 minutes?  35 maybe to Apex. Cary/Raleigh? No way.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Berk Thomas, to 42, to Corinth Rd, to Christian Chapel Ch Rd, to US 1 N. Yes, to Apex. My wife works in North Raleigh off Six Forks, takes her 55 minute to get there, so yah, a good bit longer to Raleigh, but still not bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is not a call out, but exactly how are you making it from Broadway to Apex in 25 minutes?  35 maybe to Apex. Cary/Raleigh? No way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable.  my wife works in Wake Forest 2 days a week and it is 1 hour and 10 min. door to door from my house off Spring Lane..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top