Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2015 10:14:28 PM EDT
My wife and I just moved to NC.  Bought our dream house near Lejeune right on the water.  Now Joaquin.  I'm TAD half way across the country for 2 more weeks, she's at home.

Board the windows? Call a carpenter?

Should she leave? If so when?

Any other advice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
What hurricane?  Just watch http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ and if you see yellow or red over your house, worry.  Otherwise, it's just a storm.  Now, I don't know EXACTLY where your house is, of course, but this storm looks like a lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
form what i've gathered were just expected to get the clippings of the actual storm....its further up north (as in NY,NJ,MA) thats suppose to get the brunt of it
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:03:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep an eye on the forecast paths. The strongest winds of a Hurricane only extend out a few miles from the center depending on the size of the system. You can look that info up. Katrina was an odd ball with hurricane force winds extending 100+ miles from the center. Right now the hurricane force winds are only 20 or so miles from the center.

Right now the model runs are pointing North of you it sounds like, so you should be ok. The worst side of a hurricane is the North East side. You will be on the West of it, and if it goes North of you the winds will actually push the water in the bays out to sea. If it goes South of you though that water will be pushed further inland. Just a few tips I've learned from living in Hurricane prone areas. If it looks bad evacuate. If she decides to stay then she needs to be prepared for several days without power.

You need to keep an eye on this system though. The model runs are all over the place right now. The Euro model has it going out to sea and the others show it hitting the NC/VA border. Some even show it going South into SC. If the center shows going over your house pay a carpenter to board up. Better yet pay him to put in these  threaded studs in the window frame area so that next time you board up all you have to do is screw on the wing nuts and washers. Just mark what boards go on each window and you can save the boards for the next time you have to board up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy lots of beer and get drunk for hurricanes.  Yeah yeah not a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I buy lots of beer and get drunk for hurricanes.  Yeah yeah not a good idea.
View Quote

But you won't care about how good of an idea it is!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget the milk and bread either!
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Having been through several only one has lived up to the hype - Fran.
I take stuff off the deck, get plants inside,maybe put a sheet of plywood over the back sliding glass door.
Get gas, stuff to eat, some cash.
I have always stayed and never evacuated. I am a mile from the intracoastal water way.
I am not saying a big one can't or won't come but from my experince it's not as big a deal as the media hypes prior to the actual show.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the happening was avoided, this time.

Thank you all for the replies, I'm going to install some anchors so next time there won't be an issue.

Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top