when we go to movies.

Anyone have any further details or thoughts
on their new policy and how it will affect us
here in NC?

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It all boils down to whether or not the theater is posted no concealed firearms (or just no firearms).
Rarely do they publish written search procedures to the public since that would be basically providing a "where to hide items to avoid searches" tutorial.

Your safest bet is to look at the specific theater you plan to attend and see if there are any No Weapons signs.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's not posted properly, then it doesn't exist.  I, for one, do not patronize anti-gun organizations unless I'm forced.  Dropped my kid off at college over the weekend and noticed that it's a 'self-defense free zone'.  Frustrating.

By the way, the only way that a theater is going to know you're carrying is if you proclaim it or if they search you.  You don't have to consent to a search.  There is no law being broken if you bring a soda or breath mints in the theater.  I'm not going to have some pimply-faced punk kid frisking me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Wife told me last week our local movie theater was putting in metal detectors at the entrance and searching people's bags, but we haven't confirmed it yet. I believe this theater is a Carmike, but not 100% sure. I do know they have a no weapons sign posted though, and we haven't been there in a good while.  

I know people who say theyd rather pay the fine than go into the movies without their firearm, but im not the type to risk it in case something crazy were ever to happen. That's what Redbox was made for
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it's not posted properly, then it doesn't exist
.  I, for one, do not patronize anti-gun organizations unless I'm forced.  Dropped my kid off at college over the weekend and noticed that it's a 'self-defense free zone'.  Frustrating.

By the way, the only way that a theater is going to know you're carrying is if you proclaim it or if they search you.  You don't have to consent to a search.  There is no law being broken if you bring a soda or breath mints in the theater.  I'm not going to have some pimply-faced punk kid frisking me.
View Quote
The problem with our laws is that there is no guidelines for "posted properly." It just says "conspicuous". Local theater I go to isn't posted anywhere on the doors like you'd expect, but once way inside has a tiny sign about 2 feet off the floor saying no weapons. Id argue that isn't conspicuous, but that's just me.

Relative to this topic, December 1st the penalty for carrying in a posted place drops to an infraction with maximum $500 fine instead of the current misdemeanor charge.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What it says is:

(8)        On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

"No weapons" isn't the same as "concealed handgun is prohibited" in my book.

If it's not conspicuous, and specifies concealed handgun, it doesn't apply to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's not posted properly, then it doesn't exist.  I, for one, do not patronize anti-gun organizations unless I'm forced.  Dropped my kid off at college over the weekend and noticed that it's a 'self-defense free zone'.  Frustrating.

The problem with our laws is that there is no guidelines for "posted properly." It just says "conspicuous". Local theater I go to isn't posted anywhere on the doors like you'd expect, but once way inside has a tiny sign about 2 feet off the floor saying no weapons. Id argue that isn't conspicuous, but that's just me.

Relative to this topic, December 1st the penalty for carrying in a posted place drops to an infraction with maximum $500 fine instead of the current misdemeanor charge.

What it says is:

(8)        On any private premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises.

If it's not conspicuous, and specifies concealed handgun, it doesn't apply to me.
While I personally agree with your statement, I have read legal opinions that disagree. Apparently it was worded that way because they figured a general "no weapons" sign would cover all weapons, which includes concealed. I don't know if that has ever been tested in court though. Not a lawyer.

Again, I'd say that my example wasn't conspicuous, but a lawyer probably would because I eventually noticed it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're only searching bags based on all the reports I've read. No wands, no walk-through detectors, no pat-downs.

If I ever decided to visit a Regal theater, it wouldn't change anything I do. But, I'd have to drive past multiple theaters to get to one.

They're probably more concerned with you avoiding their $10 candy than they are actually finding weapons.
View Quote

This I can confirm from last weekend watching Antman.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's reasonable doubt.  Seriously stupid.

Yeah.  Kinda like the adage, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."  Better a $500 fine than a $5,000 casket.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait until the movie is released on Blu-Ray and watch it in the comfort of your home.

What I do. Haven't been to a movie theater in probably a decade.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wait until the movie is released on Blu-Ray and watch it in the comfort of your home.

View Quote
I agree except I wait for it to come on Amazon. ..

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

To me some movies are worth watching in theaters (Imax and 3d).
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I see probably 4 a year in theaters. Everything else is when it's out on Blu-ray. Next time will be for Spectre.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, I see probably 4 a year in theaters. Everything else is when it's out on Blu-ray. Next time will be for Spectre.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Star Wars for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:36:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
While I personally agree with your statement, I have read legal opinions that disagree. Apparently it was worded that way because they figured a general "no weapons" sign would cover all weapons, which includes concealed. I don't know if that has ever been tested in court though. Not a lawyer.    

Again, I'd say that my example wasn't conspicuous, but a lawyer probably would because I eventually noticed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What it says is:

Conspicuous means where it can be seen by everyone who is on, or enters the premises. They have to post a sign at EVERY entrance.  They miss one, charge won't hold up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#17]
They way I read the signage part of the laws they have to be pretty specific.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
We were in Regal at Mt Pleasant
Saturday. The girl taking tickets
took a quick & meaningless glance
in my wife's purse & I had to show
here my phone in my M-1, but
that was it. It's obvious they are
trying to appease the liberals &
scare people from trying to sneak
food in the building...

John

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top