Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 4:59:32 AM EDT
Want to apologize first if this is posted somewhere else in here, but I looked through all 5 pages and didn't see anything specifically about training in the state. So who do you guys go to for training, pistol/carbine beyond the ccw class/stages. So far ive seen Defensive Concepts NC and Solo Defense, both located roughly around the Charlotte area.

Id like to get in to some defense classes that emphasize hand to hand before it escalates to a gunfight, or weapon retention type training if you were ever to be caught up in a struggle. Also a simunitions type class would be on my list as well. No LEO or MIL qualifications for me as im just a regular guy, so I would need civilian classes. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
www.SAFEshootersNC.com

Our Defensive Pistol class covers many things, among them victimization avoidance, weapons retention, threat de escalation...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to clarify; we (Defensive Concepts) teach throughout the state with vast majority of our classes being in Carthage NC.

And here is a review of our Handgun Retention class:

http://aesirtraining.com/home/dcnc-handgun-retention-aar/
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just to clarify; we (Defensive Concepts) teach throughout the state with vast majority of our classes being in Carthage NC.

And here is a review of our Handgun Retention class:

http://aesirtraining.com/home/dcnc-handgun-retention-aar/
View Quote

Thanks for the link to Retention class, I didn't realize that was something you offered. Ive actually taken a handgun class with you guys before in Carthage

ETA: just noticed that review was from 2013, and I don't see anything similar in your current schedule. Is this something you still offer?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#4]
We still offer it when there is demand for it.  A lot of people dont seem to want to spend the day wrestling over their gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We still offer it when there is demand for it.  A lot of people dont seem to want to spend the day wrestling over their gun.
View Quote

That's too bad, im always up for catching an @ss whoopin' if it makes me better in the end.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Larry Vickers, Xe/Blackwater, Defensive Concepts, viking tactics, Pat McNamara, Trace Armory Group, Frontline Defense...you, Sir, are in the Mecca of tactical training.  What is your location?  Most of these classes are within 2 hours of central NC.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:58:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Larry Vickers, Xe/Blackwater, Defensive Concepts, viking tactics, Pat McNamara, Trace Armory Group, Frontline Defense...you, Sir, are in the Mecca of tactical training.  What is your location?  Most of these classes are within 2 hours of central NC.
View Quote

Thanks for a few others chuckman. Im located about 40min west of charlotte, and it looks like almost all of the big names and classes are taught at Carthage or way out towards the coast. A few really good instructors routinely come to Reeseville SC and lower VA(South Hill I believe), both of which are close to 4 hours from me.

While im definitely not opposed to traveling for great training, the logistics of the travel are just a pain currently with my work schedule. Also traveling that far to a 2-3 day course definitely racks up the cost with hotel/gas/food figured in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Any of you guys have experience with Trace Armory Group? They have a range just a short drive from me, and have an upcoming pistol class and shotgun class im interested in taking. Prices seem fair, and the courses seem laid out well on the website. If you have any experience id love to hear it.

ETA: Found several reviews of their recent classes online, and all reviews very highly praise them. Still would love to hear any other experience before we book the course.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any of you guys have experience with Trace Armory Group? They have a range just a short drive from me, and have an upcoming pistol class and shotgun class im interested in taking. Prices seem fair, and the courses seem laid out well on the website. If you have any experience id love to hear it.

ETA: Found several reviews of their recent classes online, and all reviews very highly praise them. Still would love to hear any other experience before we book the course.
View Quote

I took the carbine 1 class back in the spring. It was a great class you won't be disappointed.  I'm planning on taking more classes in the fall. I'll be happy to answer  whatever questions I can
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Mike with South Carolina Gun School
is a great guy & has good classes,
in Laurens, Gaston & Nichols, SC.
Mike and Ron are top shelf. Maybe
not a prestigious as Black Water,
but a lot closer to home.

Link

John
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I took the carbine 1 class back in the spring. It was a great class you won't be disappointed.  I'm planning on taking more classes in the fall. I'll be happy to answer  whatever questions I can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear, im going to sign up for Defensive Handgun solo it looks like. But my father in law wants to do the Shotgun course so we can buddy up for that one. All the reviews are great, im looking forward to more training this fall.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I've taken a number of classes with Defensive Concepts. The training is solid and they are all good guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top