Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2015 12:43:31 PM EDT
Hi everyone-

This morning my wife and I took the plunge and both submitted our applications for our CCW permits with the Durham County Sheriffs Deparment. I thought some might find it useful if we chronicled our experience here.  Based on the horror stories we have heard this will no doubt be a "journey."  Feel free to ask any questions/contribute. I will update the timeline below periodically.  

To set the stage, my wife and I have no criminal history, no military service, and no reason for being denied on any questionable mental health grounds.  We were informed when filing the application that they would request medical history from ~6 various institutions.  They did not ask us for our primary care providers, the list was auto generated for us.  Of these, UNC Hospitals would send us a bill (for an undisclosed amount) for pulling our records. This bill should come in approximately 30 days, at which time it must be paid for the process to move forward.  The person we worked with informed us that we should not hassle the sheriffs office for any update until we at least receive this bill.  I read online that an applicant must often follow up with these institutions to ensure they have sent over the requested materials thus delaying the process.  The sheriffs department made no mention of this responsibility.  While at the sheriffs office (7/15/15) we were fingerprinted extensively and photographed.  The actual forms were fairly simple and took minimal time to compete.  In total we paid $180 cash for the permits ($90 each).

Timeline

7/15/15 - Permits filed with Durham County Sheriffs Dept.
8/14/15 - UNC Hospitals invoice received in mail for $15. - Wife's
8/19/15 - UNC Hospitals invoice received in mail for $15. - Mine
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I posted last December about the form I had to fill out for renewal in Wake. Like yours, the form (NC Courts form AOC-SP-914M in my case) was already filled out but UNC Hospitals wasn't on the list; it had Alliance Behavioral Healthcare in Durham, Central Regional Hospital in Butner, and Wake County Human Services. I received my permit back about 6 weeks later but haven't received any bills to date.

Good luck with the process.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I may get in trouble for bringing this up but here it goes.

There is no such thing in NC as a CCW however we do have a CHP.

CCW means Concealed Carry Weapons which are not allowed in NC which is why it is a NC CHP (Concealed Handgun permit) and as such only applies to Handguns. I feel that it is important for us to used the correct terms when talking about this so that we don't appear to be uneducated about our own laws.

I can't tell you the number of times I have heard people say they want to get their CCW so they can concealed a knife or some other weapon only to get mad when it is pointed out that in NC that's not the case and a CHP only applies to handguns.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If they had the same requirements to vote, I think there would be more of an uproar.  When my wife and I got our permits, there were no hassles.  Of course, I don't live in your county.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
When I first got my permit in a rural, "good ol' boy" county, (pre mental health checks) they made you get an appointment weeks out, and then took 89 out of the 90 days to approve the permit.  

My renewal in my new county last year took 3 weeks total from walk-in to drop off the forms (which they had mailed me ahead of time) to new permit in hand, including the mental health checks, and I didn't get a bill for any of them. Also had to do a change of address a few months ago, and they got me the new permit in a week and didn't charge me for it. It is nice being in a gun-friendly county .
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
So I read online that NC State law requires the sheriffs department to give you the thumbs up or down on your permit within 45 days of submitting the application.  However, in the case of Durham county, they don't consider the 45 day period to start until all the mental health inquiries are responded to.  In most instances it supposedly takes 45 days to obtain these inquiries.  According to others the sergeant approving your application will then let it sit on his desk until day 89 or 90 to ensure the maximum duration for approval is achieved.  I'm not sure I understand the ideology behind them trying everything they can to delay/prevent law abiding people from obtaining the permit.  The process could be fairly cost prohibitive for many as well.

In total my wife and I have spent:

$200 CHP class ($100 x 2 attendees)
$40 ammo for class
$180 permit ($90 x 2 applications)
$ ??? Undisclosed cost for a mental health check bill from UNC Hospitals
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I read online that NC State law requires the sheriffs department to give you the thumbs up or down on your permit within 45 days of submitting the application.  However, in the case of Durham county, they don't consider the 45 day period to start until all the mental health inquiries are responded to.  In most instances it supposedly takes 45 days to obtain these inquiries.  According to others the sergeant approving your application will then let it sit on his desk until day 89 or 90 to ensure the maximum duration for approval is achieved.  I'm not sure I understand the ideology behind them trying everything they can to delay/prevent law abiding people from obtaining the permit.  The process could be fairly cost prohibitive for many as well.

In total my wife and I have spent:

$200 CHP class ($100 x 2 attendees)
$40 ammo for class
$180 permit ($90 x 2 applications)
$ ??? Undisclosed cost for a mental health check bill from UNC Hospitals
View Quote

The law does state that the 45 days start AFTER the sheriffs office receives the application AND responses from the medical history requests.

NC Statute 14-415.15
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When I first got my permit in a rural, "good ol' boy" county, (pre mental health checks) they made you get an appointment weeks out, and then took 89 out of the 90 days to approve the permit
View Quote

You're not the first person I've heard mention that they received the permit on day 89/90.  Seems like Durham county didn't get the memo that the decision was required to be made within 45.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The law does state that the 45 days start AFTER the sheriffs office receives the application AND responses from the medical history requests.

NC Statute 14-415.15
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I read elsewhere this was not the case.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NC Statute 14-415.15

The original bill H650 back in 2011 had the wording that the 45 days started when the application was submitted but through the wrangling and arguing the "and receipt of the required records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant," verbiage got added and that's how it was passed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NC Statute 14-415.15

That is why you should always go read the Statute on the matter to understand the law and not some website or post on the net. Chapter 14 article 54B of the NC general statutes is where you can find the law on Concealed carry as it is written.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, so we received an invoice from UNC Hospitals for $15 on August 14.  Interestingly I did not receive one, only my wife.  We assume this is because she has been seen there while I have not. We paid the invoice on August 17.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Do the MS13 guys have to go through all that trouble?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]

OP  That was an expensive CHP class you took.  $100 is steep.  There is a guy here in Lee Co. that does the class for $49.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

OP  That was an expensive CHP class you took.  $100 is steep.  There is a guy here in Lee Co. that does the class for $49.

View Quote

A vast majority of the time you get what you pay for.  

Smaller class size equates to higher fees. If it doesn't then you should question the quality of instruction.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Smaller class size equates to higher fees. If it doesn't then you should question the quality of instruction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His classes do tend to be larger but him and his wife do the classes and they are both NRA instructors.  Everyone I have talked to that has taken his classes have been very impressed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too thought it was steep going into it but it truly was a quality class. Looking back I have no regrets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top