Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
Cross-posted from GD....

I visited NC about a month ago. Loved it. Spent most of my time in Raleigh, but I also visited a friend in the Charlotte area, who lives in Gastonia. She's really urging me to think about moving down. My industry (customs brokerage/international shipping) is centered in Charlotte for the state. I'm going out in the fall for a visit just to Charlotte.

I've been in the Chicago area for 19 years (raised in Metro Detroit). I'm not particularly fond of heat, but NC wouldn't be quite as bad as ATL or DFW. Cold weather states such as PA, MN, MI don't have much for my industry (although MI is better than the other two).

What are taxes like? I think my friend said something about a property tax of sorts on your car each year, much more than the $101 I pay for my IL plates each year (I have a 2014 Focus). Rent? Other cost of living? What's gas right now? My housing needs are simple - 1BR condo or apartment with in-unit washer/dryer.

I know there are decent ranges in the Charlotte area. I'm used to shooting indoors up here, anyway.

Thanks!  

ETA: I'd be looking at moving in about a year. Working on getting some debt paid off and money set aside.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You may also want to look into living in SC and commuting to Charlotte. Seems a lot of folks do that for tax purposes and costs of living. Not a bad commute either.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may also want to look into living in SC and commuting to Charlotte. Seems a lot of folks do that for tax purposes and costs of living. Not a bad commute either.
View Quote

+1 the taxes are way better in SC than living in Mecklenburg County
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Indian Land SC is BLOWING up with development.  I've been here since 2009 in a new construction neighborhood, and since I moved, thousands of new homes have been built.  Most of the new ones are HOA style, but there's plenty of non-HOA places to live too.  I've lived in Charlotte most of my life, and grew up here.

Indian Land is immediately south of one of the nicer Charlotte Neighborhoods (Ballantyne/Blakeny).  Fort Mill and Rock Hill are other SC suburbs of Charlotte as well, but they've been developed for longer.  Indian Land is the current hot growth spot.

We have LOTS of ranges nearby, a few of the more expensive ones are climate controlled.  I know of at least 10 places I can shoot indoors, some even allow rifles.  There are outdoor rifle ranges too, but they are either private, or further away.  There's a police range in Gastonia which is open to the public on the weekends.

If you are seriously considering a move, stick with MLS 5 or parts of MLS 6 if you plan to live in the Charlotte city limits.  Parts of MLS 4 are OK too, but MLS 5 is the place to be IMHO.

If you're seriously considering the move to Charlotte, let me know where, I may be able to quickly rule it out for you.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on where you'd be working will determine the location you'll want to be in. I work in logistics, and most of my industry is toward the northern part of town.

All you guys saying to live in Ballantyne/Indian Land are crazy. No way in hell I would want to deal with that mess again. I lived in that part of town for a year, and I485/I77 commuting to uptown/university area is nuts. I now live in a nice part of University 8mi from my job and my 1br apt is $1055/mo. (brand new complex, high end neighborhood).

Expect to pay >$800 for a decent 1br that's in a nice part of town. Traffic is a bitch during rush hour, especially in South Charlotte. It snows about twice a year, which effectively shuts down the entire city for a week. Summer months are nice, although it reached >100*F many days last week. The mountains are about 2hrs away and the beach is about 3hrs. It's really a great place to be IMO.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
mgcook, you're essentially in my industry. PM sent.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I just moved from NJ/CT

Anyone that complains about traffic down here has never experienced the Merritt Parkway in CT.  My road-rage has gone from "brick throwing" to "meh, I'll be there shortly."

I'm paying ~$850 a month for a one bedroom that has door-side trash pick up and in apartment washer/dryer. It's in Pineville which is near Ballantyne and south Charlotte.  It's that expensive because it is a 3 month lease because I want to get a townhouse.  

Overall it's much better than New England, but I've never been to your area.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I now live in a nice part of University 8mi from my job and my 1br apt is $1055/mo. (brand new complex, high end neighborhood).

View Quote

Nice part of the university area? That's the exception, not the rule. Most of that area is at best "decent".

I've been in Charlotte over 30 years. If you can't afford a place on Lake Norman, stay down south.

However, if I didn't have children, and was heavily armed, I may consider living elsewhere.  Back when I lived in the University area, I wasn't into guns, and it was as nicer area. Things have changed for me, and I'd never consider living anywhere other than south...In fact, South Carolina is even better, but I'd agree with you on one thing.

I'd never with in the University and live down south. Your commute could easily be 60-90 minutes depending.  If you can afford some of the nicer neighborhoods near Southpark, Myers Park, or Dilworth, you'll be more centrally located.

There are LOTS of back roads to get you around Charlotte to avoid the traffic mess, but if your only legitimate route involves 485, 77, or 85, your going to play in the rat race.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice part of the university area? That's the exception, not the rule. Most of that area is at best "decent".

I've been in Charlotte over 30 years. If you can't afford a place on Lake Norman, stay down south.

However, if I didn't have children, and was heavily armed, I may consider living elsewhere.  Back when I lived in the University area, I wasn't into guns, and it was as nicer area. Things have changed for me, and I'd never consider living anywhere other than south...In fact, South Carolina is even better, but I'd agree with you on one thing.

I'd never with in the University and live down south. Your commute could easily be 60-90 minutes depending.  If you can afford some of the nicer neighborhoods near Southpark, Myers Park, or Dilworth, you'll be more centrally located.

There are LOTS of back roads to get you around Charlotte to avoid the traffic mess, but if your only legitimate route involves 485, 77, or 85, your going to play in the rat race.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I now live in a nice part of University 8mi from my job and my 1br apt is $1055/mo. (brand new complex, high end neighborhood).

I live on the outer edge of University. Fortunately there are hardly any college kids living at my complex, mostly young professionals that work in somewhere in the research park (TIAA-CREF and Wells Fargo).

The problem with South Park, Dilworth, Southend and other central parts is that rent/home prices are outrageous. My girlfriend and I were looking into buying a house somewhere more central or in South Charlotte and we couldn't being to afford anything in those areas (our combined income is ~$110k).

Like I stated before, where your job lands you will greatly depend on where you want to live. A 20-25mi commute might not seem bad, but it could take 60-90min to complete depending on the time of day.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh really? You'd prefer some lib move down instead rather than a gun loving conservative?

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh really? You'd prefer some lib move down instead rather than a gun loving conservative?

View Quote

I've lived here all my life, and I rarely enjoy going to Charlotte and such due to traffic. I realize that normal traffic down here isn't necessarily any worse than up north, etc., etc., but one wreck or road construction and you'll be hating it. Most of the larger cities in NC really didn't have the highway infrastructure setup for the traffic we currently have; Charlotte and Raleigh obviously being some of the worse.

I live out in one of the rural counties (Randolph) right I'm the middle of the state. I will never live in a county with a "city" in it, if I can help it. I pay a fraction of the taxes and my property would be 2x the $$ if I lived in a good part of Charlotte. Just be careful, as a couple rural counties have higher taxes to make up for being poor...which only continues their struggle. But I digress....

Edit: and yes, let's dilute the moronic Libs here, please. Lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I oversee three apartment communities in Charlotte and three in Huntersville.  Can't give you a deal but can make sure the on site staff kisses your ass.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I oversee three apartment communities in Charlotte and three in Huntersville.  Can't give you a deal but can make sure the on site staff kisses your ass.
View Quote

I will keep that option in mind, thank you!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
One inch of snow is a catastrophic.

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#15]
If you find a place in Charlotte and want the lowdown on crime in the area let me know
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in SC just across the border, right off I-77. The cost of living and taxes are all lower with one exception, the annual car tax is higher. Gas being $0.30 cheaper per gallon more than makes up for it though.

People complain about traffic but after spending almost 30 years in Orlando, traffic here is nothing IMO. The worst it gets is usually on I-485 from I-77 Eastward and that is only one direction at a time, in the morning it is the westbound lanes, in the evenings it is the eastbound. From the University area to home during afternoon traffic does not take more than about 45 minutes compared to zero traffic taking 20 to 25...

Best of all, I have none of the idiotic nonsense to deal with from the Charlotte-Mecklenberg government...
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Whether you chose North or South Carolina, I would be glad to have you in our part of the Country.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I just got my plane ticket to come down in late October, so we will see how things go.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I am a city planner in Shelby, NC (in Cleveland County). Shelby is basically a bedroom community for Charlotte.  If you're looking to commute to Charlotte (30-45 minutes), I couldn't think of a better place to consider living.  It's a small southern main street community with about a 20,000 population. We've been in the news a lot lately for catching Dylann Roof here and my church has been in the news lately, but Shelby has typically been off the national radar.

We are growing a lot and have a lot to offer. The City is developing a section of the Carolina Thread Trail right now and just finished the bridge that crosses the First Broad River (literally finished the bridge on Friday). The trail head with parking and canoe let-in should be completed before fall gets here.

If you like mountain hiking, South Mountain State Park is just up the road in the same county. (carry friendly)

The Shelby City Pavilion was just completed and the local farmer's market is booming there.

Our first brewery is under construction in Uptown and pays homage to our bluegrass heritage (It will be called Newgrass).  We're home to the Don Gibson Theater and Earl Scruggs Center.

Cost of living is just stupid. I live on half an acre with a detached garage 3bdr 1bth and I'm paying less than $360/month. Water is like $12 a month. Property taxes really aren't that bad.

As far as shooting goes, there is a lot of rural area just outside of Shelby, if you end up in this area and want to go shooting, just let me know. I have access to 150 acres to do non static drills/hunting/camping/anything short of blowing stuff up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of people do that and because of that places like Fort Mill are really pricey for the same sort of real estate.

I live right across the border in NC in steel creek. Love Charlotte and been here for 20 years. come on down OP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just got my plane ticket to come down in late October, so we will see how things go.
View Quote

LOL...that's when we put on our best face.  You should come in the middle of the summer

It's hot and humid and stays that way for awhile...but I can wear shorts 365 days a year (since I don't work outside), and the winters are very mild.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL...that's when we put on our best face.  You should come in the middle of the summer

It's hot and humid and stays that way for awhile...but I can wear shorts 365 days a year (since I don't work outside), and the winters are very mild.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, given that my plane ticket was $200 cheaper and I had to arrange things around the vacation schedule at work, this was the best time to come.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in Fayetteville and the ranges all suck pretty much, they're very expensive and have crappy hours.  

There aren't any "hunting clubs" like back home in Ohio where you just get a key to the gate.  The weather is awesome though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I moved to Charlotte last September but am moving back home to Iowa, FWIW.  

I would avoid the south side.  My Jeep was burglarized twice in 2 weeks, only took some flash lights.  

Lotta nice brewery/restaurants if you like those, running is popular, and dogs are well received.  

Also, you will have one year to get your vehicle inspected.

For concealed carry if you are interested, Charlotte-Mecklenberg was a long process, took about 3 months and several hundred dollars to get.

Best of luck to you.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't listen to him, we'll be glad to have you (ignore my KY location, I'm from NC and will be heading back before too long). I can't comment on the ins and outs of property ownership in Charlotte, but I visit friends up there from time to time and have always enjoyed it. There are tons of restaurants and bars and all sorts of things to do. It's a little more gun-friendly than Chicago too.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#26]
If ya move to the Charlotte or Raleigh areas I got sad news. Neither is considered to still be NC by any respectable native.
Both are considered "Occupied Territory". Along with anything near Boone or Asheville.
My running joke with out-of-towners was that cHarlotte was really just a huge obnoxious alien spacecraft that landed in NC and wouldn't leave.

Kidding aside tho', come visit us down on the corner in Southport if ya make yer way here to whichever.
Although I will hafta apologize for the lack of decent BBQ in advance. I left it all up in Lexington. And GSO. And Wilson.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Update:

I'm going to be visiting Charlotte in three weeks. I'll give you an AAR after I'm back.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If you stay long enough you'll get to experience the crazy weather we get this time of year.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:15:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you stay long enough you'll get to experience the crazy weather we get this time of year.

http://www.keefermadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/weather.jpeg
View Quote

I'm flying down on Friday afternoon and back on Sunday evening.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in Charlotte right now. Well, actually right outside of Gastonia. Friends have a house in a rural-ish area outside of town. We did a lot of driving around today.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]
The football obsession is madness. It's crazy. I don't like football much. My sports are hockey and baseball. The local NBC station seems beside themselves that the Panthers are playing in prime time tomorrow. I also hate basketball. Gas prices are cheaper, but rents seem to be the same as my current area. Yet wages in my industry seem to be lower than the Chicago area. A move might well not put me ahead at all. My entire support system is here. I'm single, so that's very important to me.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The football obsession is madness. It's crazy. I don't like football much. My sports are hockey and baseball. The local NBC station seems beside themselves that the Panthers are playing in prime time tomorrow. I also hate basketball. Gas prices are cheaper, but rents seem to be the same as my current area. Yet wages in my industry seem to be lower than the Chicago area. A move might well not put me ahead at all. My entire support system is here. I'm single, so that's very important to me.

View Quote
The entire college sports thing is kinda over the top down here, I don't like college sports much at all but it seems to be a hot topic.   Not sure how that would really impact you day to day though?

Do you have a specific job offer to compare wages or you're just saying in general wages are lower?  Why would you rent not buy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top