Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2015 12:14:34 PM EDT
Last night on the news (36 in Charlotte) they identified a memorial to Confederate soldiers on Kings Dr.  The city is discussing whether to remove it.

They also shot footage of headstones bearing the offensive flag.

I wonder if they will desecrate graves.  No, they won't do that of course.

I'm thinking of leaving a small flower arrangement on the monument on Kings.

Should I?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not everyone fighting for the South was a slave-owning plantation master or overseer just like not every Yankee was a noble abolitionist.  I think we should honor all war dead on both sides.  I'm tired of this revisionist s***. Once the war ended, you are supposed to kiss and make up.  The War of Northern Aggression was not about slavery, it was about the Yankees profiting from the labors of southern slaves and still wanting the slaves to be free.  Ending slavery would have been DEVASTATING to the southern states, but the North took a no-compromise stance.  Slavery was not good, but ending it would have been bad for EVERYBODY.  As it was, they ended Slavery and let the south languish for 100 years in poverty... both black and white people.  The able bodied and resourceful former-slaves moved north to be de-facto slaves of first the northern factories and then, when conditions got unbearable, of BOTH the unions and the factories.  Both conspired with each other to keep black people down so much so that they lived in separate neighborhoods and were really no different than southern Jim Crow laws.

How did the North do any better for former Slaves than the South?  Look at the Ghettoes of East St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Washington DC, the Bronx, Queens, Chicago, Detroit, etc. etc. etc.  THAT was superior to the South?

Edited for spellin
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How did the North do any better for former Slaves than the South?  Look at the Ghettoes of East St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Washington DC, the Bronx, Queens, Chicago, Detroit, etc. etc. etc.  THAT was superior to the South?
View Quote

I've met A LOT of racist people up here in Ohio.  This is more liberal projection, just like them thinking they can't handle themselves with a gun so nobody else can either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top