Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2015 11:56:28 AM EDT
The SO and I will be in Asheville in late July and would like to spend 8 hours or so doing a 5-10 mile hike. I would also prefer if the hike brought us by some streams or rivers/etc so I could bust out the fly rod for a little bit while she eats lunch or something.

Any ideas on which trails will accomplish this?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]

There's a ton of spots that'll fit your bill.  

Try a google search on the Wilson Creek area.  

Or in Great Smoky Mountains NP, check out Indian Creek out of Bryson City or Enloe Creek off of Straight Fork Rd. for a real wilderness experience.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The SO and I will be in Asheville in late July and would like to spend 8 hours or so doing a 5-10 mile hike. I would also prefer if the hike brought us by some streams or rivers/etc so I could bust out the fly rod for a little bit while she eats lunch or something.

Any ideas on which trails will accomplish this?
View Quote

South Mills River Trail.  Take Hwy. 280 from I-26 at the airport to the Turkey Pen Gap trailhead parking area.  Follow the trail down to the river, cross the swinging bridge and hike upstream.  You'll have to go in a few miles to get away from most of the people but it's worth it.  It's an easy hike and the fishing can be very good in the right spots.

It's about 30 minutes +/- from Asheville depending on where you're staying.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
We're staying in Biltmore Village.

Do you guys think I'll need a NC fishing license for the day- or are there not any wildlife officer's around every corner waiting for you?

Also; three years ago we went to chimney rock park but it was raining and closed because of unstable something or other. This year we might want to go back- but I don't see any good hiking areas around there especially if I want to fish.

All I found was the rambling bald trail across the road from chimney rock as well as the buffalo creek park- which is new?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you guys think I'll need a NC fishing license for the day- or are there not any wildlife officer's around every corner waiting for you?

Also; three years ago we went to chimney rock park but it was raining and closed because of unstable something or other. This year we might want to go back- but I don't see any good hiking areas around there especially if I want to fish.

All I found was the rambling bald trail across the road from chimney rock as well as the buffalo creek park- which is new?
View Quote

I used to fly fish a lot in the Mills River and Pisgah aread around ten years ago; never once was I checked for a license.  The place is a whole lot more crowded now so I wouldn't  take the chance.  

PIsgah will offer you tons of options for what you are looking for.  If you are staying in Biltmore Village, go down 26 to the airport exit and head towards Bervard on 280, you will hit the entrance to Pisgah National forest in around 15 to 20 minutes.  Turn right and follow the river; there are tons of trails that follow the rivers and creeks up there.  Another great spot is Turkey Pen gap.  Tons of trails and most follow the river.

I would suggest getting the South Pisgah district map from Pisgah map company.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Better get a license. I was checked a few weekends ago at Wilson Creek area. My first time getting checked in awhile though.

If you go to Cherokee and fish the reservation lands it's only $10 per day to fish. They even have tagged fish that have monetary prizes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! Will try and make sense of all of this
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]

I check

Seriously Cherokee is some of the most stocked waters anywhere.  You'd best get a tribal permit though, their DNR guys don't play!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top