Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2015 4:09:12 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I will be moving to Raleigh in the next few weeks for work and am trying to establish my a NC residency as quickly as possible. I've wanted to buy a handgun this past year but since I am from Maryland (where buying a handgun is a slow, expensive, and very painful process) and went to school in a different state, I couldn't afford the necessary 3-4 trips home and $300-400 for the license and gas during my last semester. I've looked up residency requirements for NC, I was just wondering if you all had some tips on speeding up the process. I'm excited enough to be leaving maryland and more so to move to North Carolina which I've visited several times throughout college and liked more each time. Thanks in advance for the info!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
For the time being, you'll have to get a pistol purchase permit from the sheriff in the county you reside to be able to buy a handgun.

Here's the link that lists the hoops you'll have to be hopping through unless the new bill H562 gets passed any time soon without any more changes

Wake Sheriff PPP Requirements.

Your other option is to get your NC concealed handgun permit and that can be used in lieu of the pistol purchase permit.

Wake County CHP Info
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the time being, you'll have to get a pistol purchase permit from the sheriff in the county you reside to be able to buy a handgun.

Here's the link that lists the hoops you'll have to be hopping through unless the new bill H562 gets passed any time soon without any more changes

Your other option is to get your NC concealed handgun permit and that can be used in lieu of the pistol purchase permit.

Wake County CHP Info
View Quote

I'd start with the simple purchase permit.  They're cheap ($5 IIRC) and can take less than 3 weeks (depending on county).    You can get up to 3 at a time, so I'd suggest dishing out another $10 and grabbing a total of 3.

Then, take a class for the CCW and get all your paperwork in order...it can take 90 days to get your CCW once the paperwork is submitted.

I'm not sure if any of this has changed...I haven't been a NC resident for the past 6 years now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'd start with the simple purchase permit.  They're cheap ($5 IIRC) and can take less than 3 weeks (depending on county).    You can get up to 3 at a time, so I'd suggest dishing out another $10 and grabbing a total of 3.

Then, take a class for the CCW and get all your paperwork in order...it can take 90 days to get your CCW once the paperwork is submitted.

I'm not sure if any of this has changed...I haven't been a NC resident for the past 6 years now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wake County CHP Info

The sheriff can not limit the number of purchase permits or how often you apply. They also have to let you know within 14 days whether you were approved or denied.

The statute relating to this is here http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-404.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Wake County CHP Info
View Quote

Thanks for the info! Funny how these "hoops" are a walk in the park compared to Maryland's process. I assume the 30 days of residency start once I move in? I plan on changing my license ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It took me a week to get my Wake county pistol permits. It's annoying, but not a big deal.

Raleigh is a fun town. It really grows on you after awhile. Since you are from Maryland, there is a state law requiring you to live in C.A.R.Y. for your own protection (just kidding ).
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting information I will need to file away for future reference.  I been a New York resident all my life (turn 53 next week) so just about any other state sans NJ, MA, MD and CA is less of a hassle in my eyes.  I have been thinking of pulling up stakes from Long Island and heading to the Raleigh-Durham area if my job ends at the end of the year (I am a software developer/network admin/jack-of-all trades techie).  Leaving my extended family behind has been a concern but my brother-in-law was put on notice that the bank he works for is now looking for property in either NC or SC to relocate to within the next two years so.  I am guessing that banking would put them in either Charlotte or Raleigh so I have my fingers crossed that my sister, niece and brother-in-law will follow.  The question I have to resolve is do I pull up stakes at the end of the year and hope they eventually join me or just say screw it and head for greener pastures?  NY is beyond hope or repair but I can stick it longer if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome from someone who just moved down here as well. The turnaround time for the PPPs are really fast. I put in for five of them for myself and for my wife the night we hit 30days (literally submitted at about 12:05AM) and I had an email and text messages saying they were ready at 9:30am. I just did it a second time for another five (need to get CCW, but time is not cooperating for the class) and submitted at prolly 1am on a Saturday night, and had an email/text by 3pm on Monday. So really, there's less than 24hr turnaround during the week. I was also very thorough when I filled it out and put the move in/out dates for every address I've had since birth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Well it's good to hear about quick turnaround times for the permits! My only concern is that my multiple apartment addresses throughout college may slow it down some. I'll try to be as accurate as possible with dates then. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well it's good to hear about quick turnaround times for the permits! My only concern is that my multiple apartment addresses throughout college may slow it down some. I'll try to be as accurate as possible with dates then. Thanks for the heads up!
View Quote

Oh, boy are you in for a shock!   I have never heard of anyone having to list more than the past addresses in the last 5 years..... And that was for a big ol county....
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#10]

3 weeks seems like a long time to get a permit.  I am in Lee county and I usually can go by and pick them up the same day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It took me a week to get my Wake county pistol permits. It's annoying, but not a big deal.

Raleigh is a fun town. It really grows on you after awhile. Since you are from Maryland, there is a state law requiring you to live in C.A.R.Y. for your own protection (just kidding ).
View Quote

Concentration Area for Relocated Yankees.  They fit in with all the white-guilt Andy Griffith liberals in the Triangle.

After you can repeat the "Four Boasts of the Old North State in the War Between the States*" from memory; sing "the Old North State" and "Dixie"; and repeat Governor Vance's statement reference secession** then you can apply for naturalization.

However, if you say "this isn't how we did it in (Maryland, NJ, NY, CT, etc.)" you can be deported.

"The vale of humility between the two pinnacles of conceit (Virginia and SC - Sorebacks and Sandlappers).

*"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox."  NC provided more soldiers to the Confederacy (and the Union) than any other Confederate state.

** "I had raised my hand an ardent Unionist, I lowered it as a reluctant,but determined secessionist." - Vance was giving a pro-Union speech when he heard of the firing at Fort Sumter.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

However, if you say "this isn't how we did it in (Maryland, NJ, NY, CT, etc.)" you can be deported.

View Quote

I could envision myself using that phrase many times BUT it would be followed with "and I am very glad!".
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want the permit quicker, fill it out online and it will be ready for pickup in about 2 days. There is only like a $3 extra fee to have this processed online. It bypasses having the Sheriff's Office to sent off the permit application. Instead, the permit is done by a third party that sends it immediately to the ATF.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Well now I get the CARY joke haha.  Funny you mention saying how things are done the northeast, the point for me is to have them be done differently, I don't assume I'll be missing things much! Sounds like I'll be even happier in Raleigh than I had thought. Thanks for the pointers though, I'll have my close friend from school (born, raised in NC and is also starting his career in Raleigh) show me the ropes.  Also sounds like the online form is worth the extra $3.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Mustard in any form should never touch pork.

It's not needed to make the rub stick on a Boston Butt either excuse.

You will have plenty of college sports action and Hurricanes play at the Wolfpack arena off of Edward Mills Road.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1. Tea is supposed to be iced, and sweet
2. BBQ is a type of food...not an action or piece of equipment. You eat BBQ, you don't go outside and BBQ (you grill, or grill out, or even cook out)
3. Regardless of what the Bass Pro radio commercials say, Concord is pronounced Con-CHORD, not CON-curd

Stay out of Mecklenburg (Charlotte), Durham (Durham), Wake (Raleigh and Cary) and Orange (Chapel Hill) counties, at least for your residence, and it's a great place to live.
View Quote

Engrain rule #2 in your head before you pack your first box.

BBQ is a noun, not a verb. Learn it, live by it, no exceptions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#18]
can you get a pistol purchase permit if you have an out of state DL?

I sold a house in FL, moved to NC but dont have a permanent residence since we are building. havent gotten a DL or anyhting because they all want a residence and I am a gypsy right now. I can CC because my FL CCL reciprocates but I cant buy a handgun with it. Technically since I sold my house in FL, I am not a resident there either. I am in limbo. to make matters worse the Capital CIty Gun Show is this weekend. Fffffffff......
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top