Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2015 10:12:46 PM EDT
Me and my wife are considering buying a vacation/retirement home in the mountains near Banner Elk; can any of you tell me about recreational activities in the area? Nearby gun stores and ranges? How's the fishing around there?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Skiing in the winter and hiking the rest of the year.  quite a few golf courses in the area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
The only gun store I know of is in Boone its called extreme gun and pawn and is a class 3 dealer as well. There is lots of hiking trails on and around Grandfather Mountain which is very close to Banner elk.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Never heard of it . . . .

Just kidding.  I grew up in Banner Elk and still live in the area.  You can't make me leave.

Lot's of trout fishing, lots of hiking, lots of just chillin out enjoying the outdoors.  

There are no gun ranges in Avery county.  I think there's only one gun store in the county, it's in Linville.  

The Watauga Gun Club is in Boone it's about 40 minutes from Banner Elk to the range.

Boone is 30 minutes from BE and there's more to do there as far as shopping and restaurants etc

Boone has Extreme, Grashal Outdoors, and Cornbread Tactical as far as gun shops go.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of it . . . .

Just kidding.  I grew up in Banner Elk and still live in the area.  You can't make me leave.

Lot's of trout fishing, lots of hiking, lots of just chillin out enjoying the outdoors.  

There are no gun ranges in Avery county.  I think there's only one gun store in the county, it's in Linville.  

The Watauga Gun Club is in Boone it's about 40 minutes from Banner Elk to the range.

Boone is 30 minutes from BE and there's more to do there as far as shopping and restaurants etc

Boone has Extreme, Grashal Outdoors, and Cornbread Tactical as far as gun shops go.  
View Quote

Grashal outdoor  is closing their  doors sometime this month if they haven't already. What firearms  does Cornbread Tactical have I don't see anything on they website?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys. I look forward to returning to the area soon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Soconmtneer - stayed at our company's cabin along Sugar's golf course a few weeks back 5/8. Had the windows open Friday night - sounded like someone was having a three gun match - maybe over toward the Lowe's? That you doing all that shooting?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey Soconmtneer - stayed at our company's cabin along Sugar's golf course a few weeks back 5/8. Had the windows open Friday night - sounded like someone was having a three gun match - maybe over toward the Lowe's? That you doing all that shooting?
View Quote

Nope, wasn't me. Don't know who it would've been.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Cornbread Tactical is a awesome shop! They have a bunch of tactical firearms including Scars/ bullpups/ ak's / Ar's/ and I've seen a Uzi and mp5 in there before. They will also order in guns for people. If you ever stop in, be sure to check out their line of Winkler Knives and Axes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Me and my wife are considering buying a vacation/retirement home in the mountains near Banner Elk; can any of you tell me about recreational activities in the area? Nearby gun stores and ranges? How's the fishing around there?
View Quote

It's been a while since I've lived near there so I don't know about ranges or fun shops but there are plenty of streams around for fishing.  Don't limit yourself to designated trout waters, get out a map and do some research.  I have caught several 3+ pound fish in Watauga County that weren't in designated trout waters.  Smallmouth fishing is also pretty good within a 30 minute drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top