Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.wral.com/tuesday-wrap-guns-n-money/14720539/

In the House, amendments restored the pistol purchase permit for handgun
sales, nixed the idea of allowing lawmakers and their staffers to carry
concealed weapons in the Legislative Building and reinstated lifetime
bans for concealed weapons for people convicted of certain misdemeanors,
such as stalking and child abuse.

The revamped bill won initial approval from the House, and more amendments are expected Wednesday before the final vote.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2015&BillID=h562

Click on edition 6 on the left side for the latest version of the bill.

§ 14 - 409.41. Chief law enforcement officer certification; certain firearms is still intact.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#2]
extremely watered down version now. pretty much everything that was good/holy has been stripped.

pretty pointless now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

extremely watered down version now. pretty much everything that was good/holy has been stripped.

pretty pointless now.
View Quote

I've been sending pointed e-mails to all the supposedly Republican representatives.

None of the defeatists that surrendered to the Democrat-dominated-and-run NCSA (AKA "Red Roy Cooper's Stooges") is my rep, but I will work and donate to defeat all of them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Republican SUPER-majority in the General Assembly

I am not sending you the canned e-mail I was encouraged to send.  I speak from the heart - frankly.

The current pistol purchase permit system (NCGS "§ 14-403 and your proposed amendments)  is a joke.  Even the NCSA's own report - the one you mandated in law that they forgot to deliver - admits that it is, at best, useless and costly; and at worst, both a vessel of petty tyranny for sheriffs to capriciously deny a fundamental Constitutional right and a way for felons to circumvent the NICS background check.

Yes, the NCSA's own report admits that felons with pistol purchase permits are buying pistols.

To continue it is illogical - unless the goal is to continue the power of the high sheriff to deny anyone he doesn't like that person's right to purchase a pistol.  In 1919 your predecessors in the Democrat Jim Crow General Assembly passed this statute to disarm blacks and undesirables (like Republicans).  AG Roy Cooper - the next Democratic candidate for Governor - wants this statute preserved.  His Democrat sheriff toadies want it.

What other fundamental Constitutional right is subject to a county official being satisfied of my "good moral character"?  

You want me to grovel before the mighty High Sheriff and beg his permission to buy a hand gun - which the Supreme Court of the United States says is a fundamental Constitutional right - if that mighty High Sheriff deigns to be satisfied as to my "good moral character"?  

Frankly, I can't understand why Republicans are lining up to support preserving this Democrat vestige of the Democrat Jim Crow era.

Do you think they are going to like you?  Vote for you?  Support you?  Donate to you?

Better change that 'R' to a "D' then.  Or repeal NCGS § 14-403 and stop gutting H562.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the Republican SUPER Majority in the NC General Assembly

In 2013-4 you passed HB937.  You directed the county sheriffs to tell you how many prohibited persons still had Pistol Purchase Permits.  You said the NCSA could compile one report for all the sheriffs.  They did.  It's a doozy.  The PPP as per NCGS 14-403 that y'all are so hot to save for the Democrat-dominated NCSA is a failure.

NCSA keeps saying the FBI-run NICS is "inadequate" compared to the mighty High Sheriff's mystical better knowledge.  Their own report says different.

Heck, our own law requires sheriffs to do a NICS check - and the majority of the time, that's all they do (except to impose arbitrary hoops and demand references and check to see if the applicant is a political or personal enemy).

Have YOU read the report - ?

Some highlights from the NCSA report with most in sheriffs’ own words:

• "[NICS] reports included 165 or 23.5% of permits being subject to revocation in Camden County and 35,488 or 38% of permits being subject to revocation in Mecklenburg County.”

• "…sheriffs’ offices [submitted] 674,806 permits for review representing 344,338 different permit holders. CJLEADS returned 26,637 permits to sheriffs as subject to revocation due to an event or condition that occurred subsequent to the issuance of the permit that would have disqualified the individual from receiving a pistol purchase permit at application.” [That rate is about 4%, or four times higher than NICS, suggesting that the PPP system is *inferior* to NICS at preventing criminals from getting guns.]

• "Sheriffs have reported revoking 5,255 permits from 2,447 permittees as a result of the background check and review process through April 25, 2014. However, it should be noted that a sheriff has no way of knowing if a permit has been used since issuance.”

• "Sheriffs’ offices are staffed to review and process Pistol Purchase Permit applications and not to conduct periodic reviews of active permits…”

• "Conducting an ongoing manual case by case review of 289 permits in Tyrrell County or 93,486 permits in Mecklenburg County is nearly impossible.” [So much for NCSA’s argument that sheriffs "know” who in their counties should have permits. If they can’t manually check them now, how can they do so before issuance?]

• "Several sheriffs’ offices had over 40% of their permits reported subject to revocation in the NICS report.”

• "Sheriffs’ offices cannot account for permits claimed to be ‘lost’…”

• "Gun dealers do not know if a permit has been revoked…”

Yeah.  Keep fighting to preserve this mess.  Keep helping Democrat Roy Cooper with his gubernatorial campaign.  Keep showing the voters that voted for you that you can't be trusted.

Sincerely
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150617/north-carolina-house-votes-to-remove-important-right-to-carry-provision-from-pro-gun-bill

Your NRA will continue to work with legislators and educate them on why it is more important to support the Second Amendment, rather than support local elected officials that want to maintain the ability to deny permits to individuals who are not prohibited from purchasing or possessing handguns by law.  We will work with the North Carolina Senate to return the language that replaces the PPP system with NICS.  

Please contact your state Representative and voice your appreciation for their vote AGAINST the McNeill Amendment, or voice your disappointment if they voted FOR the McNeill Amendment, a provision that fails to support the Second Amendment rights of North Carolinians.
View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, it passed the Senate tonight.

So, enjoy hunting with your SBRs!!  And we'll see how the "Shall Sign" process goes on NFA items. Also made carrying concealed where posted an infraction instead of a misdemeanor for those with a CHP. Several other things still in the bill that the House didn't remove...just too bad HB562 got weakened as much as it did.

Quick summary from NRA email:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, it passed the Senate tonight.

So, enjoy hunting with your SBRs!!  And we'll see how the "Shall Sign" process goes on NFA items. Also made carrying concealed where posted an infraction instead of a misdemeanor for those with a CHP. Several other things still in the bill that the House didn't remove...just too bad HB562 got weakened as much as it did.

Quick summary from NRA email:

This legislation makes several important changes to North Carolina gun laws, including:

• Requiring the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of a jurisdiction to certify the transfer or making of a firearm in a timely manner.

• Clarifying the exemption for keeping a firearm in a vehicle by a person with a valid Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) while the vehicle is on the property of a public school.

• Establishing an affirmative defense for an individual in certain situations where he or she uses a firearm on prohibited school property "in response to a threatening situation in which deadly force was justified..."

• Improving the existing Range Protection Law, which would help to protect established shooting ranges from new local ordinances designed to shut them down.

• Improving the issuing process and removing unnecessary disqualifiers for CHP applicants.

• Lowering the penalty for carrying a firearm with a valid CHP on posted property from a misdemeanor to an infraction.

• Removing the prohibition on using a lawfully possessed short barreled rifle for hunting.

• Strengthening North Carolina’s preemption statute.

... uh, I meant to say, I do not condone breaking laws.  

Would have been better if passed in the original form, but a win is still a win.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
HB562 signed into law today. A majority of it effective 7/1/15, including NFA "shall sign" and hunting with SBRs.
View Quote

I would rate these things this way:

- Shall Sign: 8 points
- Hunting with SBR's: 2 points
- Removing Pistol Permits: 90 points

We got 10 out of a possible 100 points.  Yeah, now we have "shall sign" legislation, but with trusts & corporations still available and 41P still not implemented, this is necessary, but largely academic.  Hunting with SBR's wasn't NEARLY as important as hunting with suppressors.  Necessary, yes, but still minor.  How they could strip the PPP repeal from this bill and call it a victory is beyond me.  These are baby steps.  I don't want the PPP repeal to take another 10 years.  We need to vote the RINO's out.  Now is the time!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, this is a minor victory no where close to being a major victory.

The sheriff permission to buy a handgun is total BS and needs to be removed. I mean the reason for this law was racist to begin with, so on that principle alone it should be done away with.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I just sent an email to the Wake County SO to ask how to submit a form 1. Lets see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm happy that the shall sign is in place and hunting with sbr's (sbr's were OK by my game warden) but we all know why the PPP isn't going any where.  Big $$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's not about cash...it's about power, or perceived power.

They charge $5, but it costs somewhere around $56 to process each one based on the report I saw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but we all know why the PPP isn't going any where.  Big $$$$$$$$$$$

They charge $5, but it costs somewhere around $56 to process each one based on the report I saw.

I was told by the local sheriff (Ingram) it was all about the money.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was told by the local sheriff (Ingram) it was all about the money.
View Quote

He probably does not do the level of research that other counties do.  Due Diligence.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
but we all know why the PPP isn't going any where.  Big $$$$$$$$$$$

Then it costs the tax payers more money for a system that's already in place when purchasing a firearm from an FFL dealer.

The time they spend doing background checks could be spent doing stuff like real police work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Well, I just sent an email to the Wake County SO to ask how to submit a form 1. Lets see what happens.
View Quote

OST for the answer.

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Report back ASAP!
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Report back ASAP!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report back ASAP!

I received an email back this weekend that currently with a few exceptions Sheriff Harrison is not signing off. I responded asking if NC H562 would change that. I will report back with what I hear.

Just received this ETA:

Currently the new Statute is under review.  But it appears as if applicants will be required to go to the police chief of the city or town the applicant resides in or the Sheriff, if in an unincorporated area.

We will have more information forthcoming.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I predict non-signing sheriffs will continue to refuse to sign until they get tired of losing in court.

But I asked CCSO Services anyway.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]

My email to the CCSO Services office was answered by the CCSO lawyer.

Your inquiry concerning procedures regarding Chief Law Enforcement
Officer certification pursuant to N.C. Gen. Stat. §14-409.41.

As you may be aware, the
governor signed the Bill (H.B. 562) into law as N.C. Sess. L. 2015-195 on
August 5.
 Since then we have been
examining potential procedural policies related to the new law.
 While those policies have not been fully
promulgated, we have completed the preparation of a form for requests for
certification.

You may wish to request that
form which is a fillable PDF form, which must be completed by typing the
required information into the form, and returning it to the Sheriff’s Office’s
Services Division, Gun Permits Office.

We will be making determinations
as to whether the Sheriff will be in a position to grant such an application
for certification.

If you have additional
questions, please contact us.

Thank you.

Ronnie M. Mitchell

Legal Counsel | Office of the Sheriff | Cumberland County NC

131 Dick Street | Fayetteville,
North Carolina | 28301

Telephone: 910.321.6764 |
Facsimile: 910.321.6780

"We will be making determinations as to whether the Sheriff
will be in a position to grant such an application for certification."

That sounds to me like Sheriff Butler will continue to refuse to sign.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Oh, they know.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Any update on this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I received this. I thought there were 5 sections under 14-288.8(b).

"You may go to either the Sheriff or the police chief for the city/town you live in, however you still must meet one of the four qualifications under 14-288.8(b)(1)-(4) to be eligible under State law."
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There are five. And you could argue you meet three of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I received this. I thought there were 5 sections under 14-288.8(b).

"You may go to either the Sheriff or the police chief for the city/town you live in, however you still must meet one of the four qualifications under 14-288.8(b)(1)-(4) to be eligible under State law."

There are five. And you could argue you meet three of them.

I asked about section 5.

"You do not lawful possess that weapon until after you have obtained a tax stamp, so (5) does not apply.  That part of the statute is for persons from other states who already have a NFA weapon and are relocating or have a Trust established."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top